U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2008, 12:53 PM

3,029 posts, read 7,511,581 times
in all our moving from different states and school districts etc... I can offer a bit of "generalized" advice (3 kids...8, 11, and 13).

It is not Hard to have a GOOD-EXCELLENT elementary school. heck even DC public schools have some very good elemtary schools.
most young kids love school and teachers love the environment. you have younger families with more invloved parents etc...
If the elementary school is suffering that is a HUGE red flag that the enitre school pyamid is in touble.

NOW...once you get up to 7th grade a change takes place...the kids are not so in love with school, it's harder to keep them interested. Many parents are less involved, go back to work etc... your kids don't want you up at school "helping" etc... like they did when they were 8 years old. YOu are reaching a larger group of kids and usually more diverse than a small elem. Some kids start to become real trouble makers...the bullies get meaner..drugs and alcohol become an issue...and THOSE raging HORMONES all create distractions. so, if you start to get MS with bad ratings then you can bet the HS isn't that great.

This is where the real learning begins...alot of kids can easily sail through 5th grade without much effort. Once you get to MS and HS then you have SERIOUS issues to deal with.

SO...I usually look at the MS and do alot of research there first. Then I move to the HS and see how it compares, what factors might be an issue etc... test scores only tell a very small story, but they do help. rating help etc...

Lastly...after i have found a HS that seems a good fit and will offer a good education as well as other good programs etc... Then I see what elem. go to that MS/HS chances are pretty much 95% that they will be an EXCELLENT elem.

My eldest starts HS this fall...keeping my fingers crossed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2008, 09:46 AM

12 posts, read 29,510 times
We moved to Lovejoy ISD after being dissatisfied with the educational opportunities offered in our neighboring district, which was filled with highly rated schools. Our expectations have been exceeded. We did extensive research on every school district in the DFW area before our move.

Contrary to what the organizers of that web site seem to be attempting to achieve, Lovejoy ISD and Superintendent Ted Moore have an excellent reputation among both parents and teachers in surrounding communities. There is a real need out there for what this district is trying to accomplish. The parents we have met here are thrilled to be here.

We have found the administration at this school district to be extremely responsive to any of our questions or concerns. With the Internet, there is no excuse for parents to not do their homework before choosing a school district. Subscribe to Superintendent Ted Moore’s weekly email list (in which he provides his phone number) and follow what is going on in this district. Phone numbers and email addresses for school administrators are posted on district web sites. Contact them and ask them questions, questions and more questions. Dig deeply for answers and make your own judgments. Education is too important.

Old 06-30-2008, 09:20 PM

28 posts, read 82,238 times
Default Grew up in Fairview

I grew up Fairview/McKinney. I went to Lovejoy elementary for a bit and had a great experience and incredible teachers. My Mom wrote math curriculum for McKinney and so she eventually decided it was easier on her not to have to drive to Fairview to pick me up, but that decision had nothing to do with the schools. Now that she is retired, my mom still does consulting work for a number of different school districts all over Texas and recently advised my sister (who has three kids) to move to LISD because of the high quality of the school district.

Just an aside -- it is an area with a number of hover-parents which could increase the number of naysayers stirring the pot.

Old 07-01-2008, 02:00 AM

72 posts, read 168,820 times
I've heard nothing but positive rave reviews about Lucas, Fairview and LISD. I run into a lot of folks.

Happy to help,
T. Hayley

Old 07-01-2008, 04:20 PM

427 posts, read 950,603 times
Please go visit and see for yourself. Fairview is a beautiful area and the ISD does very well compared to the surrounding towns.
You will find a lot of unfounded and very opinionated folks in this forum that tend to give advise based on their perceptions of old not the current facts.

Small schools article below

Top High Schools: Why Smaller Works Better | Newsweek Best High Schools | Newsweek.com

Old 07-01-2008, 08:00 PM

2 posts, read 9,976 times
I live in the Lovejoy district and have for more than a decade. We moved here from Plano after struggles with a school there. Three parents confronted the leadership of the school. By the time the year was over, the district let the principal go and the PTA was on probation for mis-use of funds. Please don't think that just because it is only a few people, there is not anything wrong.

The main thing I am concerned about after reading this thread is IF YOU ARE CURIOUS ABOUT SOMETHING AS SERIOUS AS YOUR CHILDS EDUCATION, WHY DON'T YOU CALL UP SOME OF THE PEOPLE THAT ARE POSTING ON THE WEBSITE. Why are people afraid to ask. Maybe they are right, maybe they are wrong, but they are just people. I know people on both sides of the issue out here. Deep down, they are all nice people and would love to share their views.

I do agree with the first post though, that I would be scared after reading the sight, that is why I would encourage anyone to call. I do have to ask all that are somewhat content with their schools-our SAT scores in the US have never risen since the standard was dropped; we still score below most industrialized countries; more and more of our high level tech jobs are going to foreigners here in the US-HOW CAN YOU BE CONTENT WITH THE EDUCATION SYSTEM? You might be surprised to know many districts have websites like this. Education is suppose to be in the control of the parents, that is why school boards are suppose to run the schools, not the super. Maybe more need to get involved and lets take back the education system from the state and federal bureaucracy. Their track record is not to good.

Old 07-03-2008, 09:29 AM

427 posts, read 950,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelby77 View Post
I live in the Lovejoy district and have for more than a decade. We moved here from Plano after struggles with a school there. Three parents confronted the leadership of the school. By the time the year was over, the district let the principal go and the PTA was on probation for mis-use of funds. Please don't think that just because it is only a few people, there is not anything wrong.

The main thing I am concerned about after reading this thread is IF YOU ARE CURIOUS ABOUT SOMETHING AS SERIOUS AS YOUR CHILDS EDUCATION, WHY DON'T YOU CALL UP SOME OF THE PEOPLE THAT ARE POSTING ON THE WEBSITE. Why are people afraid to ask. Maybe they are right, maybe they are wrong, but they are just people. I know people on both sides of the issue out here. Deep down, they are all nice people and would love to share their views.

I do agree with the first post though, that I would be scared after reading the sight, that is why I would encourage anyone to call. I do have to ask all that are somewhat content with their schools-our SAT scores in the US have never risen since the standard was dropped; we still score below most industrialized countries; more and more of our high level tech jobs are going to foreigners here in the US-HOW CAN YOU BE CONTENT WITH THE EDUCATION SYSTEM? You might be surprised to know many districts have websites like this. Education is suppose to be in the control of the parents, that is why school boards are suppose to run the schools, not the super. Maybe more need to get involved and lets take back the education system from the state and federal bureaucracy. Their track record is not to good.

Thats right. It seems everyone is too comfortable with academically acceptable ratings. Lets raise the bar. The minimum should be exemplary

Old 07-04-2008, 06:47 AM

9 posts, read 22,598 times
If Lovejoy cannot get explemplary after lowering its special ed population from 12.8 to 5.7, then maybe it should try harder to push it below 3%. Then they can REALLY control the test outcomes.

After all, its superintendent said, "Every student in the small district's new high school took pre-Advanced Placement classes last year. Superintendent Ted Moore believes that move protected the district's rating."

They'll just have to move more special ed kids into the Pre-AP classes to make them move out of the district.

Old 07-05-2008, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosscountry View Post
Thats right. It seems everyone is too comfortable with academically acceptable ratings. Lets raise the bar. The minimum should be exemplary
I agree that Exemplary should be the minimum, but the TEA ratings system it is based upon is inherently flawed. The majority of kids in a decent school program can pass the TAKS test sufficiently to earn a district the numbers required to achieve "Exemplary". From experience, there are way too many Exemplary schools out there that are not challenging our kids. For another good article on the state of US education under No Child Left Behind look at:

Are We Failing Our Geniuses?

Last edited by EducationParent; 07-05-2008 at 03:50 PM..

Old 07-06-2008, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by expo View Post
If Lovejoy cannot get explemplary after lowering its special ed population from 12.8 to 5.7, then maybe it should try harder to push it below 3%. Then they can REALLY control the test outcomes.
Giving you the benefit of the doubt that these numbers are correct, might I suggest that perhaps the reason the number has gone down has been because of the self-fulfilling prophecy that years of the naysayer web site, which completely misrepresents what this district is doing for its Special Education and all other students, has created. Apparently, it is the naysayer web site that has gotten its wish in preventing new Special Ed families from even considering this district because of its misrepresentations. What a shame, since there are many parents of Special Ed students who are very happy here.

If the three people who control that web site (including the main person who currently has no children in this district and never had any above the Elementary level in this district) truly had the best interests of Special Ed children in this district at heart, they would post at the top of the front page every time there is a monthly meeting of the SAGE (Special and Gifted Education) group, the Dyslexia Support Group, and the ADHD Support Group. They would post information about the expert speakers in these areas who have come to speak in this district. Where is this information about all of the good things Lovejoy ISD does on a regular basis in these areas to be found on their web site?

I have seen that web site make vicious personal attacks on too many good people working in this district who are doing the absolute correct things for education. It is time that more parents in this district stand up and say ENOUGH.

My advice for all parents researching school districts for their kids remains the same. Do your homework. Things are not always as they appear online. Personally speak with administrators in a given school district. Ask them to provide you with references from parents in that district for your fill-in-the-blank program of interest: Special Ed, GT, regular, athletics, fine arts. It is the least you can do for the most important decision you will make for your family.

Last edited by EducationParent; 07-06-2008 at 07:54 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas