Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2019, 09:03 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,321,790 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treasurevalley92 View Post
LOL how very scientific of you.

It more interesting if you look at the actual population data.

https://www.dmagazine.com/frontburne...als-not-quite/
Awww gee, another exercise in humorous stereotyping, ruined by the facts!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2019, 09:59 AM

4,001 posts, read 3,264,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julio July View Post
Yeah, Houston and Dallas are both super hot in the summer (LOL, it's TEXAS, people...). But they are different kinds of heat. One thing I DEFINITELY don't like about Houston is that Houston's heat is that muggy, super wet and sticky, super humid type of heat that is typical of Gulf Coast cities, where as DFW heat is more dry; that's part of the reason why Dallas seems to see more seasonal change in climate and in temperature than Houston does. I'll take Dallas summers over Houston summers in a heartbeat.
Not really different kinds, different levels of the same humid kind.

Dallas is less humid, but it is quite a bit more humid than any other place outside of Texas that regularly gets over 100.

Phoenix or California is a different type of heat. Dallas is just a slightly hotter but slightly less humid Houston. NOLA is more humid and slightly less hot Houston. It almost never hits 100 in NOLA (though that heat index)

Old 08-16-2019, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
Awww gee, another exercise in humorous stereotyping, ruined by the facts!
Don't you have to go yell at some kids to get off your lawn or something?

Old 08-16-2019, 05:11 PM

4,380 posts, read 4,622,736 times
Quote:
Yeah, Houston and Dallas are both super hot in the summer (LOL, it's TEXAS, people...). But they are different kinds of heat. One thing I DEFINITELY don't like about Houston is that Houston's heat is that muggy, super wet and sticky, super humid type of heat that is typical of Gulf Coast cities, where as DFW heat is more dry; that's part of the reason why Dallas seems to see more seasonal change in climate and in temperature than Houston does. I'll take Dallas summers over Houston summers in a heartbeat.
Yeah I was just in Dallas a couple of weeks ago and it was scorching hot BUT but that humidity wasn't as thick as Houston. That's the difference. I use to be able to take Houston's humidity and heat but I lived in Atlanta for 2 years and I guess when I moved back it just hit me a little bit harder. It'll take some time to get back use to walking outside and sweating right after a shower. *smh*

Old 08-16-2019, 11:56 PM

2,916 posts, read 3,000,320 times
Quote:
Not really different kinds, different levels of the same humid kind.

Dallas is less humid, but it is quite a bit more humid than any other place outside of Texas that regularly gets over 100.

Phoenix or California is a different type of heat. Dallas is just a slightly hotter but slightly less humid Houston. NOLA is more humid and slightly less hot Houston. It almost never hits 100 in NOLA (though that heat index)
Great points. People exaggerate about Dallas heat like it's the desert. DFW is fairly humid, especially for a city that regularly hits triple digits. It's not NOLA or Houston, but it's not Phoenix either.

In addition, Dallas tends to alternate between drier and more humid days/weeks. We'll have periods where the dew point is in the low-to-mid 70's and quite sticky and then times where the dew point is in the mid-60's and a bit drier (not really dry but not stifling). Most cities tend to be more firmly on one side of the dry vs. humid split while Dallas seems to straddle the line.

Old 08-17-2019, 09:53 AM

5,429 posts, read 4,459,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgn2013 View Post
Great points. People exaggerate about Dallas heat like it's the desert. DFW is fairly humid, especially for a city that regularly hits triple digits. It's not NOLA or Houston, but it's not Phoenix either.

In addition, Dallas tends to alternate between drier and more humid days/weeks. We'll have periods where the dew point is in the low-to-mid 70's and quite sticky and then times where the dew point is in the mid-60's and a bit drier (not really dry but not stifling). Most cities tend to be more firmly on one side of the dry vs. humid split while Dallas seems to straddle the line.
Heat is heat. Summers are unpleasant in Houston, DFW, South Florida, and Phoenix. There can be argument about dry heat, middle heat, or humid heat, but it really doesn't matter. An unpleasant summer does impact activity in the summer months.

Old 08-17-2019, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ312 View Post
Heat is heat. Summers are unpleasant in Houston, DFW, South Florida, and Phoenix. There can be argument about dry heat, middle heat, or humid heat, but it really doesn't matter. An unpleasant summer does impact activity in the summer months.
I mean you aren't wrong. All the above listed places are hot in the summer.

I think the argument that the places with drier heat have nicer evenings is a legitimate one...Mid 90s in a dry heat with the sun already gone done is alot nicer than mid 90s with humidity even once the sun has gone down.

That said, they are all lousy places to be in the summer so I wouldn't pick one or the other based on being marginally less uncomfortable in the evening. If I had a good opportunity in Houston the weather wouldn't prevent me from taking it.

Funny story though: The British consulate in Houston used to pay hardship pay back in the day because it was considered such an uncomfortable place pre AC...

Last edited by Treasurevalley92; 08-17-2019 at 10:56 AM..

Old 08-17-2019, 11:38 AM

5,429 posts, read 4,459,309 times
Quote:
Funny story though: The British consulate in Houston used to pay hardship pay back in the day because it was considered such an uncomfortable place pre AC...
Go look at the 1950 Census populations of Dallas, Houston, Miami, and Phoenix. Phoenix had the lowest population. Phoenix wasn't much prior to the widespread availability of air conditioning, which happened roughly around 1950. That could be a point to argue that Phoenix is the least livable and has the worst heat.

As I said before, they are all bad. After having lived in both Phoenix and Dallas, I find Dallas' heat more manageable. Phoenix is already miserably hot by May 1 most years, Dallas' misery doesn't usually kick in until early June. Mid-October is when I started to find Phoenix manageable, I'd say it might be one week earlier in Dallas in the Fall.

Old 08-17-2019, 12:37 PM

Quote:
I'm not originally from Texas, have never lived in Houston before in my entire life, and lived in Dallas for years. I have always liked Houston better than Dallas for the reasons that I stated, especially as a young Black male. But when I brought my wife down to Texas and gave her the grand tour of Houston and Dallas and told her to pick one to settle down in, she liked Dallas better because it was shinier and more organized looking, so that's where we ended up settling down and starting our family. She later admitted that beyond the surface, Houston was the better city for culture, food, and for young educated Black professionals. But it was too late by then; "Happy wife, happy life"
I can't personally speak to the young Black professionals part, so I don't doubt you...but while Houston has a slightly better culture and food scene DFW is pretty close there too.

I stick by my original point that the two metros have more in common than any two metros...and that 90% of people who like it in one would like it in the other.

Like the article said though...Houston is better at food and culture (even if not by a lot) and is cheaper than Dallas (Even if not by alot)

I think the bigger takeaway should be for Dallas to look at the areas we did poorly and decide what can be changed and what can't be.

For Example we can't improve our access to nature but we can improve walkability.

We also need to take a good hard look at what we are good at. It is unlikely will say the 3rd best in COL forever... or much longer at that. 3rd over all for families is something the metro can continue to be good at.

Some things will just improve naturally over time or won't...Culture, Ease of meeting people etc.

Old 08-17-2019, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ312 View Post
Go look at the 1950 Census populations of Dallas, Houston, Miami, and Phoenix. Phoenix had the lowest population. Phoenix wasn't much prior to the widespread availability of air conditioning, which happened roughly around 1950. That could be a point to argue that Phoenix is the least livable and has the worst heat.

As I said before, they are all bad. After having lived in both Phoenix and Dallas, I find Dallas' heat more manageable. Phoenix is already miserably hot by May 1 most years, Dallas' misery doesn't usually kick in until early June. Mid-October is when I started to find Phoenix manageable, I'd say it might be one week earlier in Dallas in the Fall.
Oh yeah, no doubt all the cities have benefited from AC.

I prefer May in Phoenix to Dallas...but that's me. This year was an exception, but it is usually hot by May in Dallas. Several people passed out at my college graduation years ago which was stupidly held outside in May lol.

Anyway, the weather is what it is...that can't be changed. We can change other aspects of Dallas to stay competitive as our COL goes up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas