U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2019, 07:43 PM

2 posts, read 786 times

Advertisements

Hello!

My husband will be commuting Sun-Wednesdays, 5am from Sherman to Richardson and back again at 7pm. Can anyone tell me what the commute looks like around those times? How long/how heavy? Any help would be much appreciated. Thank you!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2019, 08:23 PM

1,833 posts, read 928,837 times
I think that the traffic should fine by then barring any accident, construction, or weather incident.

I would recommend this as a temporary measure. Even though it’s only four days a week, all of that driving is stressful and will impact his health.

Old 08-07-2019, 07:23 AM

373 posts, read 162,643 times
Traffic should be smooth at those times for the most part. There may still be some rush hour traffic leftover on his commute home. If there is an accident, construction or bad weather, that commute will be horrible.

Old 08-07-2019, 07:42 AM

10,340 posts, read 22,006,346 times
That's a lot of miles, which will mean a lot of expenses for fuel, and wear and tear on your car. Your husband will also not be getting adequate rest on those days; he will only have 10 hours between shifts, but two of those hours will be taken up with driving back and forth. As previously mentioned, construction (there is currently come near Howe), bad weather, or accidents would further reduce his rest time.

I'd say this could work temporarily, but to continue to do it long-term would not be recommended.

Old 08-07-2019, 08:18 AM

336 posts, read 166,307 times
Traffic is manageable during those times but your still having to physically go 50-55 miles each way on a very hit or miss highway.

I agree with Christie, temporarily this is okay but if this is gonna be your husband long term job then there's absolutely no way I would ever considering doing this.

I don't know your living situation but if this is gonna be a longer term option then I would move to a still fairly affordable area like sherman but much closer to his job (something like Sache, North Garland, Wylie). Even something like East Plano might not be that much more expensive living wise when you factor in all the money/time you'll be saving not having to commute

Old 08-07-2019, 09:07 AM

403 posts, read 150,336 times
It’s really a very easy drive at those times, he’ll just have to keep an eye out for the overzealous cops from some of those small towns. The 55 miles at highway speed will put less wear on a car than 15 in stop and go traffic.

Old 08-07-2019, 09:31 AM

336 posts, read 166,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CollieMan View Post
The 55 miles at highway speed will put less wear on a car than 15 in stop and go traffic.
That's only less wear for two components of the car, the transmission (which is arguably the most sturdy aspect of the car engine) and brakes which is one of the cheapest parts to fix.

Every other component of the car will be significantly more wear on top of added stress and money value loss in time.

Old 08-07-2019, 09:56 AM

3,279 posts, read 2,277,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mastershake575 View Post
That's only less wear for two components of the car, the transmission (which is arguably the most sturdy aspect of the car engine) and brakes which is one of the cheapest parts to fix.

Every other component of the car will be significantly more wear on top of added stress and money value loss in time.

No. Collieman is correct. There will be less engine wear, less stress on the cooling system, fans, alternator, etc. Tires are about the only thing that would be more negatively impacted vs stop and go driving.

OP, it's a 100 mile trek per day, minimum. You may be coming from somewhere where an hour or longer commute is more normal, but here, people don't choose to do that as they can usually find a home somewhere closer within their budget.

That being said, the traffic during those times shouldn't be bad, but it's still a long haul every day.

Old 08-07-2019, 10:16 AM

12,395 posts, read 23,790,108 times
Traffic shouldn’t be that bad except on days with bad weather or big accidents. My bigger concern is that he’s driving in the dark every morning and most of the year in the evenings. Being tired (ie, running on 6ish hours of sleep + a 12 hour workday) plus constant Highway night driving just sounds like a recipe for unsafe driving.

Is there a reason why you’re tied to Sherman? If not and he likes the new job, I would consider moving closer in after 6 months.

Old 08-07-2019, 10:23 AM

4,331 posts, read 4,581,298 times
I have a coworker who does this, and has for many years - almost 15 now. He says it sucks but he lives on the edge of Lake Texoma, so he does it for that. He used to have a Prius to save on gas costs, has some electric car now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or