Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2019, 11:00 AM

8 posts, read 8,444 times

Advertisements

We currently live in East Dallas and my kids attend one of the best elementary schools in the district. We have loved it. Our oldest is in third this year and the plan has been to try for Travis with Long and Woodrow as the back up plan. She is in TAG and consistently scores in the 99th percentile on standardized tests, so she has a shot at Travis. The problem is that I have quite a few children younger than her and even if she gets in, there’s a pretty good chance not all of them will. I have been doing some in depth research on Wilson and I don’t think it’s right for my kids. From what I can tell there are usually no NMSF, the average SAT score is sub 1000, and the average AP test scores hover around 2. I’ve also been attracted to moving lately due to the high crime rate in the areas and the shortage of DPD officers resulting in slow or no responses.

I work in the Love Field area and would love to not commute too far. We would love to stay under $750k for a fairly large house. I would really like to not have a tiny lot. What suburbs should I be considering?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2019, 12:51 PM

625 posts, read 666,066 times
Maybe Farmers Branch? Richardson? Plano? Lake Highlands that feed into Richardson schools?

I will say that you should speak to people at Woodrow. The stats don't tell the whole story. I don't have children there, but know many people that do and are high-performers and love the school. There is a school within a school for IB students as well. Its attracting quite a few kids from private school (that I know specifically). I'd have no problems sending my kids there if they wish.

As a backup to Travis, my kids are starting at Sudie Williams TAG this year. Its designed to be 4-8th grade (this is only year 2). We are moving from Private. It has the same admission requirements as Travis, but doesn't have as many siblings nor the requirement to be proportional across Dallas. Also, since its new it doesn't have quite as many applicants as Travis - yet. I have to say that I am highly impressed with the parental involvement, administration, and teachers thus far. Huge East Dallas contingent going there with free bus service from East Dallas to the school (located in Bluffview/Preston area).

Old 08-15-2019, 01:34 PM

I have talked to parents from Long and Woodrow and some of them are happy with it, but others aren’t. The IB school seems like it could be a great option, but the numbers aren’t there. The IB pass rates for Woodrow are far below others. FWIW my husband and I both went to top public schools, did very well on the SAT, and were NMSF. We would like the same opportunities for our kids. Does anyone know what the commute would be like from Southlake or Flower Mound?

Old 08-15-2019, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texstout View Post
Maybe Farmers Branch? Richardson? Plano? Lake Highlands that feed into Richardson schools?

I will say that you should speak to people at Woodrow. The stats don't tell the whole story. I don't have children there, but know many people that do and are high-performers and love the school. There is a school within a school for IB students as well. Its attracting quite a few kids from private school (that I know specifically). I'd have no problems sending my kids there if they wish.

As a backup to Travis, my kids are starting at Sudie Williams TAG this year. Its designed to be 4-8th grade (this is only year 2). We are moving from Private. It has the same admission requirements as Travis, but doesn't have as many siblings nor the requirement to be proportional across Dallas. Also, since its new it doesn't have quite as many applicants as Travis - yet. I have to say that I am highly impressed with the parental involvement, administration, and teachers thus far. Huge East Dallas contingent going there with free bus service from East Dallas to the school (located in Bluffview/Preston area).
Sudie Williams is an interesting option that I would explore more, but it leaves us in the same position for High School. If they don’t get into a TAG school, there aren’t any really great options.

Old 08-15-2019, 01:52 PM

516 posts, read 450,141 times
The TEA just released their scores for districts and schools today. You can take a look at test scores there.

https://txschools.gov/

Here's an article about NMSF from last year. Have you considered a private school? Also, check out University Park. There are a few homes at your price range. UP feeds into Highland Park High School.

https://www.dallasnews.com/news/educ...e-654-honorees

Old 08-15-2019, 08:25 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,282,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wagoosian View Post
We currently live in East Dallas and my kids attend one of the best elementary schools in the district. We have loved it. Our oldest is in third this year and the plan has been to try for Travis with Long and Woodrow as the back up plan. She is in TAG and consistently scores in the 99th percentile on standardized tests, so she has a shot at Travis. The problem is that I have quite a few children younger than her and even if she gets in, there’s a pretty good chance not all of them will. I have been doing some in depth research on Wilson and I don’t think it’s right for my kids. From what I can tell there are usually no NMSF, the average SAT score is sub 1000, and the average AP test scores hover around 2. I’ve also been attracted to moving lately due to the high crime rate in the areas and the shortage of DPD officers resulting in slow or no responses.

I work in the Love Field area and would love to not commute too far. We would love to stay under $750k for a fairly large house. I would really like to not have a tiny lot. What suburbs should I be considering?
I would actually go visit Woodrow before writing it off, especially since it sounds like you do like living there. I didn’t have time to pull the new (old) 1600 point SAT scores, but historically (recently on the 2400 scale SAT), the white students at Woodrow have had SAT averages tracking with Frisco / Lovejoy and other suburban schools families flock to while students of color and low income students have tracked much lower. As of the final year of the 2400 point SAT, white student Average was 1612 and total school was 1313. White students’ scores were smack between Frisco Wakeland white SAT and Frisco Liberty white SAT.

Wanting to move because of crime or commute is different - and valid. But you need to probably do some more homework on your local schools because they are diverse and many, many different factors go into the school’s “average” scores, some of which might apply to your kids but most won’t.

Old 08-15-2019, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTXPerson View Post
Also, check out University Park. There are a few homes at your price range. UP feeds into Highland Park High School.

https://www.dallasnews.com/news/educ...e-654-honorees
“Large house” + $750k budget is definitely not HPISD. There is exactly ONE single family home for sale under $750k in HPISD and it’s a 1600sf teardown on busy Lovers Lane.

Old 08-15-2019, 11:29 PM

3,478 posts, read 6,554,983 times
Flower Mound will depend greatly on where you are--far west Flower Mound can add 15-20 min from south Flower Mound (near 121). My dad did the commute for years. I know people do it, but Southlake to the downtown area would be brutal to me. That stretch of 114 is horrendous at rush hour.

If you are looking for good schools/close commute, my suggestion would be to start with Richardson & Coppell. Coppell is know for small lots, but there are actual some pretty nice ones if you have the money for them...and you do.

https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...-66001?view=qv

https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...-67074?view=qv

My husband commutes from Coppell to UTSW (pretty dang close to Love). 25 min in the morning. Up to 45 in the afternoon. I'd say 30-35 is average. He is in by 8, though.

The commute probably wont be as much of a shock as you might think. We used to live at 75 & Henderson before we moved to Coppell and my husband's commute really didn't go up all that much. Getting from East Dallas to the Love/UTSW is a PITA!

Old 08-16-2019, 08:31 AM

1,429 posts, read 1,776,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wagoosian View Post
I have talked to parents from Long and Woodrow and some of them are happy with it, but others aren’t. The IB school seems like it could be a great option, but the numbers aren’t there. The IB pass rates for Woodrow are far below others. FWIW my husband and I both went to top public schools, did very well on the SAT, and were NMSF. We would like the same opportunities for our kids. Does anyone know what the commute would be like from Southlake or Flower Mound?
Your kids will have the opportunity to compete for NMSF at Woodrow. Sending your kids to W Plano just because they routinely produce a bunch of NMSF doesn’t mean your kid will be any more or less likely to achieve that for themselves at one location vs the other.

Old 08-16-2019, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by numbersguy100 View Post
Your kids will have the opportunity to compete for NMSF at Woodrow. Sending your kids to W Plano just because they routinely produce a bunch of NMSF doesn’t mean your kid will be any more or less likely to achieve that for themselves at one location vs the other.
Exactly. All you have to do is meet the state of Texas’ cut-off score on the PSAT (and be enrolled in high school / home school and be a US citizen).

For whatever reason, DISD does not have a big PSAT initiative in place. But as a parent, put the test dates on your calendar, pay the test fee, make sure your kid is adequately rested & prepped and then have him go do take dang thing. Same as you would if you lived in Plano or The Woodlands or Laredo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas