Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2019, 07:12 PM

86 posts, read 119,533 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastershake575 View Post
If you want a 20 minute drive from Richardson why not just live in Richardson ? They have a decent amount of neighbhorhoods with older houses that are 1500sq ft or less. On the West Side (75080) Northrich, Greenwood hills, and the Eastern portion of heights

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/5...27170165_zpid/

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/4...27166633_zpid/

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/4...27166738_zpid/

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/8...27164353_zpid/

All these neighborhoods are very school dependent so you could get some decent deals in the Winter since school has just started

On the East Side (75081) you have neighborhoods like Highland Terrance near downtown Richardson and Mark Twain

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/4...27165204_zpid/

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1...27163722_zpid/

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/6...96534468_zpid/
Thank you for these listings listings . They look very nice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2019, 07:15 PM

86 posts, read 119,533 times
Thanks to all who replied to my post. This is good information. I have no experience with HOAs but now I have a very good idea how they work.

Old 08-27-2019, 09:36 PM

315 posts, read 221,188 times
North Garland

Old 08-28-2019, 07:39 AM

1,507 posts, read 3,393,657 times
Default Hamilton Park

280K will get you a nice house in Hamilton Park. This neighborhood symbolizes the direction that North Dallas is headed in. It is very centrally located right smack dab in the middle of North Dallas and still is very affordable.

Old 08-28-2019, 09:16 AM

562 posts, read 547,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd433 View Post
280K will get you a nice house in Hamilton Park. This neighborhood symbolizes the direction that North Dallas is headed in. It is very centrally located right smack dab in the middle of North Dallas and still is very affordable.
If this was the 1970s or 1980s I would say yeah but I wouldn't recommend the neighborhood now. Location wise it's good but the pride and upkeep of the neighborhood has gone way down and it's in a high crime pocket. I would rather pay a little more and live on the other side of 635 and still get the same nice central location.

Old 08-28-2019, 10:25 AM

513 posts, read 440,602 times
The neighborhoods just south and southeast of Hamilton Park were not too long ago considered so bad, the FBI had to get involved. With the city focused on fighting crime in that area, it's possible that area can turn around. It is considered the most diverse area of Dallas, which is great! However, at this point, I would do some extra research on crime and safety in the areas southeast of the 75/635 intersection.

The article below is about the area.

https://www.dallasnews.com/opinion/c...neighborhoods#

Old 08-29-2019, 07:51 AM

1,507 posts, read 3,393,657 times
Default Norrh Dallas

If you use the 75 North Freeway as the dividing line then the West Side of the Freeway is the good side and the East side is not as good. I think that is a fair assessment with a few exceptions.

Old 08-29-2019, 08:35 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,161,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd433 View Post

A very bad idea if safety is a concern.

Old 09-04-2019, 12:07 PM

56 posts, read 37,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldKlas View Post
Many HOA’s in the DFW area are simple and only have an annual fee under $200 that goes to mow common areas or keep up the community entrance signage. Some HOA neighborhoods may have a shared community pool or private park. It becomes a bit more expensive and they might have more rules if there is a gated entrance.

HOA’s are really no problem —— unless you have several vehicles and want to park on the lawn or even street all the time overnight, or you want to keep a boat or storage unit in a visible spot, or perhaps paint your house a very unusual color, or put garbage or old appliances/furniture on the curb way before pickup, not put your trash cans away, not mow, not irrigate, not weed the lawn or not trim bushes and trees. If all the “unless” stuff applies to you, don’t move into an HOA community because you will be unwelcome.

I have lived in DFW HOA communities for over 20 years and I’m happy to say that the people who want to do all those things don’t reside in our neighborhoods. They move to places w/o HOA’s.
As far as HOA's I wish I could agree. I pay $60 a quarter to a seemingly absent HOA. I live in a 4yr old subdivision. My HOA head does nothing to enforce CCR's.

Example....5 houses down we have a resident that insists on bringing the ghetto motif with them such as out of registration junk vehicles lining the sides of the street 3 to 4 vehicles deep, junk all over their yard, vehicle maintenance in the street, junk cars being parked for days, sometimes weeks on end.

When I contact the HOA, they tell me it's the city's problem, I then proceed to implore them to read their CCR's which are more restrictive than the city's ordinances for parking and trash. Finally after calls and filing online complaints with the city, the police get the scumbags to clean up the junk, and the junk cars get moved.

But the a month or 2 go by, and it starts all over.

Maddening.

Otherwise, I really like where I live.

Old 10-10-2019, 12:07 PM

16 posts, read 12,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
A very bad idea if safety is a concern.
Surprised a RE agent recommended it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas