U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
Old 04-16-2008, 03:20 PM
 
2 posts, read 3,764 times
Reputation: 10
Default moving from tulsa

Hi Everyone, I'm relocating to Dallas from Tulsa to attend The Arts Institute for culinary arts and while I'm extremely happy to start school I'm so lost on the neighborhoods and the difference of the cost of living, my fiance' and I are both moving and have 1 child that is 2 so we are looking for a family oriented neighborhood with lots of outside recreational activities but safe. We don't know our way around the Tx area much but I don't want to have to travel very far away from school and home so if there are any suggestions on a great city in Tx that is family friendly and cultrally diversed all input will be appreciate
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-16-2008, 03:33 PM
 
Location: Knox - Henderson
1,193 posts, read 2,097,715 times
Reputation: 543
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfranklin View Post
Hi Everyone, I'm relocating to Dallas from Tulsa to attend The Arts Institute for culinary arts and while I'm extremely happy to start school I'm so lost on the neighborhoods and the difference of the cost of living, my fiance' and I are both moving and have 1 child that is 2 so we are looking for a family oriented neighborhood with lots of outside recreational activities but safe. We don't know our way around the Tx area much but I don't want to have to travel very far away from school and home so if there are any suggestions on a great city in Tx that is family friendly and cultrally diversed all input will be appreciate
The Art Institute of Dallas is located on Park Lane at I-75 (Central Expressway). Is that where the Culinary Program is taught? Are you looking to buy a home or rent? If you are going to buy a home, what is your price range? Dallas alone contains 385 square miles and it is surrounded by lots of huge suburbs too. Given that, commuting time is important. Hopefully you will be going to school at the location on Park Lane. It is on a major north/south freeway and there is a DART rail line that stops right next door. If you can answer some of the questions above, then you should get a lot more responses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-01-2008, 09:35 AM
 
2 posts, read 3,764 times
Reputation: 10
Default Moving to Tx from Ok and don't know where to Stay

Yes the Art Institute is where I will be attending and right now we are just looking to rent before we buy, Our price range for renting is 750 and up for a nice 2 bedrm home, I talked with Get There First Realty and the realtor was really informative about the surrounding areas like Forth Worth and Irving but I'm not familiar with either one of them so I hope by answering your questions it will help, thank you for your response and feedback.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-01-2008, 11:56 AM
 
Location: Knox - Henderson
1,193 posts, read 2,097,715 times
Reputation: 543
Ft. Worth is a very nice city, but it is about 30 miles west of downtown Dallas. The Art Institute is about 7 miles north of downtown Dallas. You should visit Ft. Worth, but living there would not be very practical. Irving would be more doable as it is easily accessible via NW Highway to your school. There will be lots of apartments to the north or south of the Art Institute, in fact they are building quite a few right next to it. However, those are going to be pricey. You might ask your Realtor about the Village Apts. at Lovers Ln. & Greenville Ave. That is a huge apartment community and would be about 2 miles away from your school.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-01-2008, 05:26 PM
 
6,586 posts, read 15,595,798 times
Reputation: 2974
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfranklin View Post
Yes the Art Institute is where I will be attending and right now we are just looking to rent before we buy, Our price range for renting is 750 and up for a nice 2 bedrm home, I talked with Get There First Realty and the realtor was really informative about the surrounding areas like Forth Worth and Irving but I'm not familiar with either one of them so I hope by answering your questions it will help, thank you for your response and feedback.
I think it's weird that you told the realtor you would be in school in Dallas and then they try to sell you on Ft. Worth and Irving. Makes no sense to me. I would get a map of the Dallas area, pin point the location of the school and look within 8-10 miles of that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-01-2008, 10:48 PM
 
Location: Dallas/Fort Worth, Texas
3,930 posts, read 8,720,202 times
Reputation: 2166
Quote:
Originally Posted by FarNorthDallas View Post
I think it's weird that you told the realtor you would be in school in Dallas and then they try to sell you on Ft. Worth and Irving. Makes no sense to me. I would get a map of the Dallas area, pin point the location of the school and look within 8-10 miles of that.
I agree 100% that is just weird. There are literally dozens of good places around the school. Unless you have to go to Fort Worth daily it would be just a waste of time and money to live that far.

Naima
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-02-2008, 08:33 AM
 
Location: Friendswood newbie
99 posts, read 253,482 times
Reputation: 74
Hi cfranklin - I'm from OKC and moving to Dallas in June, so I know exactly how you're feeling! The DFW area is sooo big, and I haven't been to Dallas much, beyond Six Flags & malls!

I think the previous advice here is right-on. Although the GTF website is handy (good search engine), that advice about Ft. Worth is odd. If you haven't signed/made an agreement with them yet, just consider what's been said here. If you have already signed with them, insist on a 10-mile radius.

Here's why the Ft. Worth advice is odd: commute times are MUCH different than Oklahoma! In OKC (and I imagine Tulsa, too), commutes average about a mile a minute, i.e. we live 15 miles from work and get there in 20 minutes. So, we hear Ft. Worth is 30 miles away, and think that's doable, because in OKC & Tulsa, commuting 30 miles is possible.

In DFW, I've been told to expect 3 minutes for a mile. So, originally I was looking at a 15-mile radius (Richardson), but learned that takes about 45 minutes - 1 hour!!! And, I imagine with you being in school, you'll want to minimize your commute. Spending 2 hours a day in the car? No thanks!

So, as said in previous post, consider a 8-10 mile radius from the school.

Another possibility is to find locations along the DART (the subway), since there's a stop by your school. If you're willing to use it daily, then that opens more options for you. You could open your radius to the north, as long as your house is near a DART station. Try along the north half of the red line. Here's a DART map: DART.org - DART Rail System Map

I gather you're looking for a rent home, as are we. From what I've found, you may need to stretch your budget a bit, if you can. The big factor is a garage - if you're willing to go without one, I think you could find something at your range. But if you're wanting a garage, expect at least $1000 (from what I've found).

Here are some more websites to help you look:
hotpads.com
findyourlease.com
homerentals.net
rentalhousesplus.com

Good luck from one Okie to another!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-02-2008, 03:41 PM
 
Location: DFW - Coppell / Las Colinas
17,179 posts, read 15,232,467 times
Reputation: 15587
Find a good real estate agent in the North Dallas area that's been doing business at least 5-6 years. They should be able to give you good advice.

Doesn't hurt to interview a few of them and learn their qualifications. There's been a lot of Newbies get in the business so pick the seasoned agent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top