Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2019, 03:09 PM

948 posts, read 1,138,609 times

Advertisements

Just a heads up to every one. I just got ripped off by my electricity provider once the contract was over.
I was waiting for the weather cool down so the rates will come down and I can lock in a new rate. Turned out as soon as my contract expired, my rates spiked from 6.4 to 22.3kwh

I ended up paying $630 this time from my previous bill of $180. So just a heads up for all, the current variable rate is insane and don't get screwed like I did without a contract. Last year it went up by 2-4 cents once my contract expired, but I didn't see this coming.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2019, 03:34 PM

468 posts, read 475,099 times
Many of them will pull that chit. Be careful. I'm using 4change energy. check them out, very fair. actually more than fair.

Old 09-06-2019, 04:34 PM

1,315 posts, read 1,155,792 times
You didn’t get “ripped off” you got greedy trying to “save” money and ripped yourself off.

Old 09-06-2019, 04:59 PM

19,770 posts, read 18,055,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitynity View Post
Just a heads up to every one. I just got ripped off by my electricity provider once the contract was over.
I was waiting for the weather cool down so the rates will come down and I can lock in a new rate. Turned out as soon as my contract expired, my rates spiked from 6.4 to 22.3kwh

I ended up paying $630 this time from my previous bill of $180. So just a heads up for all, the current variable rate is insane and don't get screwed like I did without a contract. Last year it went up by 2-4 cents once my contract expired, but I didn't see this coming.
For the future. Set a calendar reminder on your phone. Furter, I've used Reliant at home for years.....they send emails, texts and phone calls in advance of sunsetting contracts. TXU does as well.

Old 09-06-2019, 05:24 PM

130 posts, read 153,753 times
I got burned a time or two like this. So I always make sure mine doesn't end within summer months... in case I forget, it won't be as bad. My heat is gas powered... so no worries for winter; the Atmos bill only goes up by $10 during Dec-Jan .

My previous electricity plan just ended on 8/31... and I switched to another provider within a couple of days because of lower rates, 100% solar and a 36 month contract.

Old 09-06-2019, 05:40 PM

9,546 posts, read 7,065,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skipito View Post
You didn’t get “ripped off” you got greedy trying to “save” money and ripped yourself off.
Trying to get the best price for any consumer product is not being "greedy."

Old 09-06-2019, 07:21 PM

1,315 posts, read 1,155,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calgirlinnc View Post
Trying to get the best price for any consumer product is not being "greedy."
Facepalm all you want. If you leave yourself open for arbitrary rates in a peak time of the year, to save a cent or two in the lowest usage times, that’s letting short term greed get in the way of long term savings.

There’s the real facepalm.

Old 09-06-2019, 09:15 PM

9,546 posts, read 7,065,457 times
Quote:
Facepalm all you want. If you leave yourself open for arbitrary rates in a peak time of the year, to save a cent or two in the lowest usage times, that’s letting short term greed get in the way of long term savings.

"Leaving yourself open for arbitrary rates" could be not paying attention, which is what seemed to have happened to the OP. It seems OP learned a hard lesson and is passing that on.

That is NOT the same as "greed", so don't move the goalposts now.

Trying to manage your budget by shopping around is not greed either.

It's really great BTW that pretty much all 68 of your posts are hostile. Fantastic way to make an initial impression!

Old 09-07-2019, 01:18 AM

9,418 posts, read 13,489,671 times
Quote:

It's not greed on the OP's part. It's being naive. Live and learn. OP, the company might work with you (credit towards further bills) over this mistake if you stick with them.

Old 09-07-2019, 04:38 PM

948 posts, read 1,138,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXNGL View Post
It's not greed on the OP's part. It's being naive. Live and learn. OP, the company might work with you (credit towards further bills) over this mistake if you stick with them.

They did offer me to reduce the bill to 9.6 cents if I sign up for another year but I declined and signed up through a different provider for 7.6c.

Now thinking about it, I should have signed up and got my bill reduced and stayed for a month or so and break the contract with a $100 penalty. Still save atleast $250- $300 or so on my $630 bill. Too late, acted on impulse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas