U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-17-2008, 09:55 PM

14 posts, read 54,595 times

Advertisements

I've read up a lot about McKinney. It seems like a great community, what we are looking for, tons of nice homes in our price range, and I hear lots of great things about it...EXCEPT the traffic.

My husband would be commuting to downtown Dallas near the City Place DART stop. Now, being from the DC metro area, we are accustomed to traffic. However, I want to know just how bad it would be if he is planning on an early commute. His hours in the office would most likely be 7 to 3:30. Would this help cut his travel time? How significantly?

If what we are looking for is a nice, newish neighborhood, with good schools, lots to do nearby, great shopping and dining, and nice housing in the 175K range, do you think McKinney is worth it for the commute?
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2008, 10:30 PM

172 posts, read 340,482 times
Going to work would be a breeze for your husband since most of the traffic on US 75 starts after 7:00 pm and it can get really bad depending on where you are trying to get. I have a co-worker who lives in McKinney and it takes him over an hour to drive from there to Addison. But McKinney is a really good area, especially Stonebridge Ranch.

Old 04-18-2008, 12:34 AM
Status: "The man likes to play chess; let's get him some rocks. Red" (set 9 days ago)

3,973 posts, read 9,421,483 times
It would be about 60 minutes in rush hour but 330 wouldn't be too bad. 330 would be 35-45 minutes. If you are not familiar with the areas at all, let me suggest that you check Murphy, Wylie, Sachse, Garland, Rowlett, Rockwall which would be closer and have many nice communities too. That is if you are considering newer homes, otherwise there are many other places closer that would be worth exploring.

Naima

Old 04-18-2008, 07:01 AM

6,586 posts, read 16,592,231 times
No, I don't think McKinney is worth that commute.

Old 04-18-2008, 08:41 AM

14,874 posts, read 23,911,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Babyneedsahome View Post
tons of nice homes in our price range, and I hear lots of great things about it...EXCEPT the traffic.

My husband would be commuting to downtown Dallas near the City Place DART stop.

If what we are looking for is a nice, newish neighborhood, with good schools, lots to do nearby, great shopping and dining, and nice housing in the 175K range, do you think McKinney is worth it for the commute?
1. There is a REASON why there are "tons of homes" in McKinney for sale. It will eventually only appeal to those that don't have to commute into ANY part of Dallas. There is NO WAY you will get from McKinney to downtown Dallas IN rush hour in 60 minutes NOR in 35 minutes in NON rush hour. I am in Northeast Garland and it takes ME 25 minutes to get to McKinney in NO traffic (I have a bad deformity as well, a lead foot ). To get downtown from where I am being that I'm a good 25-40 minute CLOSER to downtown than you would be in McKinney takes me 35 minutes in NON rush hour. Even with your husbands hours he is still looking at being on the road a LONG TIME. Friday's are worse in the afternoons as rush hour starts about 3:00. Being this far away from the family will start to take a toll on him. He will miss out on getting to go have lunch at school w/ the kids or being able to make it for something that starts right after school. Just not worth it no matter what kind of traffic your used to now. Why put up with it when you don't have to.

2. Since he will be working close to the DART stop why not move in closer to a DART station? Even IF he commutes down to Plano and then tries to catch the DART train he will be dealing w/ a LOT of heavy traffic. Rush hour starts in the mornings at 6:00am. Again, why put up w/ it if you don't have to and other just as good or better options are available. Might not be brand spanking new houses but that is not going to matter in the end when it comes to chosing between spending quality time w/ the family or commuting forever just to have a "brand new house".

3. While McKinney is growing and there is more to do there now than previously. You will have a LOT more options being closer into Dallas. There is just WAY TOO MUCH available in the Dallas Metroplex to be stuck out so far from most of it. I can be at the Arboretum in 20-25 minutes. Go downtown to the Aquarium or the zoo. Want to eat somewhere "different" then it is SOOOOO MUCH easier to do if your closer to the rest of the city. Going to Addison to eat at Kenny's or Lakewood to Matt's? NO PROBLEM! If your in McKinney then your going to tend to stay in an area closer to home as your going to get VERY TIRED of fighting the traffic every time you want to go somewhere else besides in McKinney.

Just my two cents and from what I have seen from those I know that live in McKinney. They may start out still going even to Richardson but after awhile they even stop doing that and that includes even for church as the drive gets to them on Sunday's. Most of the people that live there tend to stay there and don't venture out into other areas in and around Dallas.

Old 04-18-2008, 08:44 AM

415 posts, read 1,180,558 times
Traffic would be better at those hours, but you're still looking at around an hour each way. So, he'd have to leave before 6am.

My office is near downtown, but I try not to go in unless I absolutely have to (about once a month, so far). I wouldn't make it every day...

Old 04-18-2008, 08:47 AM

415 posts, read 1,180,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
Just my two cents and from what I have seen from those I know that live in McKinney. They may start out still going even to Richardson but after awhile they even stop doing that and that includes even for church as the drive gets to them on Sunday's. Most of the people that live there tend to stay there and don't venture out into other areas in and around Dallas.
Very true.

Old 04-18-2008, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CallMeLaura View Post
Traffic would be better at those hours, but you're still looking at around an hour each way. So, he'd have to leave before 6am.

My office is near downtown, but I try not to go in unless I absolutely have to (about once a month, so far). I wouldn't make it every day...
LOL!!! Riding in the car w/ my husband on the way to hockey games at the AAC a few times a month is bad enough. Already had to do that TWICE this week (playoff games). Both times were BRUTAL and we were going the OPPOSITE way of the "heavy" traffic. There is NO WAY either of us could deal w/ having to do a commute like that on a daily basis. No wonder people have health issues like high blood pressure.

Old 04-18-2008, 08:49 AM

790 posts, read 1,820,002 times
I live about 5 mins from cityplace and my sister lives in McKinney. It takes me about 45 mins to get to her place on a Sunday afternoon and I drive fairly fast. Needless to say the traffic will be greatly increased during the week. IMO McKinney is not worth it if you have to drive anywhere near downtown.

Old 04-18-2008, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpepping View Post
I live about 5 mins from cityplace and my sister lives in McKinney. It takes me about 45 mins to get to her place on a Sunday afternoon and I drive fairly fast. Needless to say the traffic will be greatly increased during the week. IMO McKinney is not worth it if you have to drive anywhere near downtown.
I know of one person that lives in McKinney and their job was moving them. They had two choices: Richardson or Sherman. They did a few test drives and while Richardson was technically "closer" in miles it took far longer to drive it.

Hmm, my sis lives in McKinney as well . She has to plan ahead to go shopping in Dallas. Her favorite places to shop are in Dallas but she doesn't get to often. She is in SBR and driving down El Dorado is a PITA!!! EVEN DURING THE DAY!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas