U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-08-2019, 08:31 AM

1 posts, read 205 times

Advertisements

Hi there,

So i currently live in Omaha, NE and am looking to move to the Dallas/ Ft worth Area. I am currently saving a decent amount and am kind of unsure about an amount i should have saved up before moving, estimated of course. I know the cost of living is fairly similar to Omaha so i'm somewhat used to the expenses. I'm not to fixed on a neighborhood at the moment so im very open to different locations or pricing for different neighborhoods. Im planning to have 3-6 months rent saved up (inc utilities). i will be moving with my work so my job will be in Irving so i will have a steady income. I will be purchasing new furniture once i move so i will not need movers or anything like that. If there is anything else needed to know please ask as the move is planned to be Dec 2020/Jan 2021 and want to make sure im as prepared as i can be.

thanks for all your help!

Nate!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2019, 08:48 AM

378 posts, read 168,658 times
To confirm, you want to rent? Apartment or house? How many bedrooms? What kind of amentities do you want to be close to?

Old 11-08-2019, 09:36 AM

6,586 posts, read 5,428,346 times
If your job is in Irving, its a good idea to live in Irving. Its a fine place to live and traffic in the DFW area is awful. Irving is a city of about 300,000 people and is very diverse. Irving is divided in 3 sections. A major street, running north and south is MacArthur Blvd and it runs the entire distance of Irving.

The northern section (north of Hwy 635 -which runs east and west — known locally as LBJ Freeway) is called “Valley Ranch.” Valley Ranch has a pretty dense population of Asian Indians. Its a lovely place with many multiple housing options of townhouses, apartments and houses. Throughout Valley Ranch are many walking trails around the canals. Zip code is 75063. On the west side of MacArthur Blvd in Valley Ranch, residences are served by the highly preferred Coppell School District. On the east side of Valley Ranch (east of MacArthur) schools are served by the Carrollton-Farmers Branch School District.

The central section (between Hwy 183 and LBJ Frwy) is filled with many single family homes, gated neighborhoods, and apartments. There is also an entertainment district, Lake Carolyn, and a branch of Dallas Community College in the central section. A large part of the area is called Las Colinas. Both Valley Ranch and Las Colinas have an overlay HOA that is mainly for water control and they were formed to manage the canals in both areas. Las Colinas, in addition, has a private police force that supplements the Irving Police, and has a pretty low crime rate. On the east side of MacArthur are many older neighborhoods and parks; it can get kind of run down looking in some sections. But also there is Lake Carolyn — which has a great rail station and many lovely upscale apartments. This is an area where many professionals live. There’s also a huge enclave called LaVillita with homes and townhouses and walking trails. Zip code for Las Colinas is generally 75039. And schools in zip code 75039 are in the Carrollton-FB school district but are well performing schools. On the west side of MacArthur is also part of Las Colinas, with some of it in zip code 75038, and beyond Story Rd is zip code 75062. Most of the homes on the west side (there are exceptions, its a squiggly line along MacArthur) of MacArthur are in the Irving School District. Irving school District is generally not a high performing district, with some few exceptional schools. The far west section beyond Story Rd has a mix of apartments and starter homes. Most of the construction is quite old.

The Southern Section — south of Hwy 183 — is a real mixed bag. Its has the downtown area, with a beautiful library, park and lake. Also right at 183 and MacArthur is the “Hospital District” with some very cute neighborhoods. Certain areas (mostly east of MacArthur) in the southern section are heavily Hispanic. And the largest amount of property crimes are also in the southern section. The schools are in the Irving school district. The City of Irving has dedicated tremendous resources on the southern section — with improved roads, pocket parks, incentives to builders for new construction and city benefits/grants to buyers in teaching, medical and emergency professions. It has had great results and there are pockets of renewal. There are also pockets of neglect.

I like Irving alot. I wish they could improve the Irving school district. I have lived in Valley Ranch and Las Colinas. I have owned five rental properties in the southern section. None of my properties has had any crime issues and all of my tenants have been great people.

If you are renting a single family house in Irving, you should plan to pay first month’s rent and one month’s deposit. And plan on a average $2500/mo in Valley Ranch or the Central section...plan on about $1600/mo. In a decent area in South Irving. For apartments, generally you will need a lesser deposit ($300-500) and first month’s rent. You’ll find that rent is quite high around Lake Carolyn, and varies in other areas. I would budget about $1300/mo for a one bedroom apartment.

Last edited by WorldKlas; 11-08-2019 at 11:01 AM..

Old 11-08-2019, 10:27 AM

3,709 posts, read 1,956,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldKlas View Post
If your job is in Irving, its a good idea to live in Irving. Its a fine place to live and traffic in the DFW area is awful. Irving is a city of about 300,000 people and is very diverse. Irving is divided in 3 sections. A major street, running north and south is MacArthur Blvd and it runs the entire distance of Irving.

The northern section (north of Hwy 635 -which runs east and west — known locally as LBJ Freeway) is called “Valley Ranch.” Valley Ranch has a pretty dense population of Asian Indians. Its a lovely place with many multiple housing options of townhouses, apartments and houses. Throughout Valley Ranch are many walking trails around the canals. Zip code is 75063. On the west side of MacArthur Blvd in Valley Ranch, residences are served by the highly preferred Coppell School District. On the east side of Valley Ranch (east of MacArthur) schools are served by the Carrollton-Farmers Branch School District.

The central section (between Hwy 183 and LBJ Frwy) is filled with many single family homes, gated neighborhoods, and apartments. There is also an entertainment district, Lake Carolyn, and a branch of Dallas Community College in the central section. A large part of the area is called Las Colinas. Both Valley Ranch and Las Colinas have an overlay HOA that is mainly for water control and they were formed to manage the canals in both areas. Las Colinas, in addition, has a private police force that supplements the Irving Police, and has a pretty low crime rate. On the west side of MacArthur are many older neighborhoods and parks; it can get kind of run down looking in some sections. But also there is Lake Carolyn — which has a great rail station and many lovely upscale apartments. This is an area where many professionals live. There’s also a huge enclave called LaVillita with homes and townhouses and walking trails. Zip code for Las Colinas is generally 75039. And schools in zip code 75039 are in the Carrollton-FB school district but are well performing schools. On the west side of MacArthur is also part of Las Colinas, with some of it in zip code 75038, and beyond Story Rd is zip code 75062. Most of the homes on the west side (there are exceptions, its a squiggly line along MacArthur) of MacArthur are in the Irving School District. Irving school District is generally not a high performing district, with some few exceptional schools. The far west section beyond Story Rd has a mix of apartments and starter homes. Most of the construction is quite old.

The Southern Section — south of Hwy 183 — is a real mixed bag. Its has the downtown area, with a beautiful library, park and lake. Also right at 183 and MacArthur is the “Hospital District” with some very cute neighborhoods. Certain areas (mostly east of MacArthur) in the southern section are heavily Hispanic. And the largest amount of property crimes are also in the southern section. The schools are in the Irving school district. The City of Irving has dedicated tremendous resources on the southern section — with improved roads, pocket parks, incentives to builders for new construction and city benefits/grants to buyers in teaching, medical and emergency professions. It has had great results and there are pockets of renewal. There are also pockets of neglect.

I like Irving alot. I wish they could improve the Irving school district. I have lived in Valley Ranch and Las Colinas. I have owned five rental properties in the southern section. None of my properties has had any crime issues and all of my tenants have been great people.

If you are renting a single family house in Irving, you should plan to pay first month’s rent and one month’s deposit. And plan on a average $2500/mo in Valley Ranch or the Central section...plan on about $1600/mo. In a decent area in South Irving. For apartments, generally you will need a lesser deposit ($300-500) and first month’s rent. You’ll find that rent is quite high around Lake Carolyn, and varies in other areas. I would budget about $1300/mo for a one bedroom apartment.
This is really great advise^
I live in the middle section and like it alot. Dallas is more expensive than Omaha but irving has a wide range of prices.

I also like that Irving is a 20 min uber from most Nightlife and has a decent number of local places to grab dinner or a drink. You didnt mention if that was important or not but just a fyi.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas