Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2019, 01:35 PM

625 posts, read 667,651 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by numbersguy100 View Post
Dealey is a “magnet” school with entry points at preK and 1st. Outside that, you won’t get in without a sibling connection. Even at the entry years, they will give current siblings preference over more talented kids, so your chances are very low without that connection. The sibling rule also waters it down so it isn’t really even a magnet school at all.

Travis is similar in that siblings get a boost. The entry years there are 4th and 6th. Admissions there is also highly competitive.

Just a heads-up for those interested. Sudie Williams TAG magnet opened up last year to serve the same population at Travis. It has the same admission requirements, but since its only in year 2 - there are very few siblings to compete against. Its also less well known so fewer applications for now. Its in a gorgeous Bluffview neighborhood (with buses coming from all over Dallas). We've been very happy there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2019, 02:57 PM

1,041 posts, read 1,191,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texstout View Post
M Streets are very close to Lakewood Proper. People in both neighborhoods go to the same restaurants, parks, sport teams, etc. M Streets are typically smaller (but not always) and many are remodeled old homes (but new builds abound as well). It is more walkable than most areas of Lakewood. M Streets feed into Mockingbird Elementary (very nice) and Geneva Heights (smaller, up in coming).

Lakewood is lovely - all home types and ages. Very good elementary (Lakewood). Nice trees. Some areas are more walkable than others.

There are also Historic nearby neighborhoods to Lakewood/M Streets such as Swiss Avenue, Hollywood Heights, Munger Place (where i live), and Junius Heights. Most (but not all) are remodeled homes with a very neighborhood feel. (My neighborhood has weekly porch parties and gettogethers for all holidays). We had done private school up until this year and now have both kids in a DISD talented and gifted 4-8 magnet school that we love. I work downtown and my commute is 15 mins.

Other nice neighborhoods are Kessler Park (I'm partial to neighborhoods with big trees), Bluffview (my kid's school is there and it is gorgeous and parts are walkabout to stores/restaurants on Lovers Lane, Preston Hollow, and North Dallas areas near Dealey (lottery admission) or Whithers.

Just one correction on this excellent post -- Dealey is not lottery admission, it is competitive.

Old 12-05-2019, 03:45 PM

92 posts, read 156,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldKlas View Post
Just another idea... you have many choices

We lived in both Las Colinas (zips 75039, 75038) and M Streets, Dallas and it was an easier drive to Medical Center Drive (much faster!) from Las Colinas; about 20 min. For our downtown drive, from kitchen table to desk in east side of downtown (reserved parking in building) was under 30 min. The drive from M Streets to downtown was about the same, it was shorter in distance but traffic around M Streets is cra-cra!

You could probably find a lovely home in Las Colinas in a gated community for sub-$800K but would want private schools. Exception, La Villeta area is served by a highly rated elementary school but way below your budget.
One of my favorite single family detached neighborhoods in 75039 is Lakes of Las Colinas which is gated and fairly new. The homes are lovely and are in your price range. You are close to 114 to get to UT Southwestern quickly. You are also close to the many dining and entertainment options in Las Colinas at Toyota Music Factory, Water Street and other parts of Las Colinas.

Old 12-10-2019, 10:39 AM

216 posts, read 344,009 times
I moved from ATL about 15 years ago. We are now in the "M-streets" that feeds to Mockingbird Elementary - and we love it. We have a decent sized lot, a LOT of trees, super friendly neighborhood and there is soooo much to do here. You really can't go wrong in this area. We are currently just finishing up at the Middle School and are starting on the HS process and it's been a great experience so far. Having lived in ATL - I think East Dallas is a good fit for you. Just my 2 cents.

Old 12-10-2019, 10:47 AM

8,147 posts, read 8,348,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JenG1974 View Post
I moved from ATL about 15 years ago. We are now in the "M-streets" that feeds to Mockingbird Elementary - and we love it. We have a decent sized lot, a LOT of trees, super friendly neighborhood and there is soooo much to do here. You really can't go wrong in this area. We are currently just finishing up at the Middle School and are starting on the HS process and it's been a great experience so far. Having lived in ATL - I think East Dallas is a good fit for you. Just my 2 cents.
Yes I also live in that area. Great spot except for traffic on Central.... its one of our favorite places in the DFW area

Old 12-10-2019, 01:49 PM

1,879 posts, read 1,554,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimmawr View Post
I am hoping for some advice on where to look for homes in Dallas as we are moving in the next 6-8 months from Atlanta. Thank you in advance!

As short a commute as possible is a high priority. One of us will be going to UT Southwestern and the other to Downtown Dallas, and we'd love to limit the amount of time spent sitting in traffic (like we do now), so I think that eliminates options like Plano.

We have two kids, the eldest is about to enter kindergarten, and we are open to public or private schools.

Budget is a max of $1-1.3M, but prefer to be on the lower end or below that if possible.

Neighborhood positives for us are: walkability (I know..), mature trees, 1/4 acre+ lot, some character, down-to-earth community. Parks/green space and a library nearby are a big plus.

From what we've read here so far, Park Cities seem to be the best in town public school option but we are nearly priced out of that area, and I wonder about culture fit there. Are there other solid public schools close in to the city?

If we go with private schools, what are the best neighborhoods to live in given the above criteria? If we're doing private school we'd like pay less for a home to compensate if that trade-off exists in Dallas... As a side note, if anybody has suggestions on where to find a good overview of private school options (including private elementary and middle schools, not just K-12 options) that would be greatly appreciated!
Where in Atlanta were you from? We just moved to DFW from Atlanta this past summer.

I think you should look at the Park Cities, Prestonwood, Lake Highlands, M-Street in that order.

Old 12-12-2019, 01:20 PM

11 posts, read 8,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldKlas View Post
Just another idea... you have many choices

We lived in both Las Colinas (zips 75039, 75038) and M Streets, Dallas and it was an easier drive to Medical Center Drive (much faster!) from Las Colinas; about 20 min. For our downtown drive, from kitchen table to desk in east side of downtown (reserved parking in building) was under 30 min. The drive from M Streets to downtown was about the same, it was shorter in distance but traffic around M Streets is cra-cra!

You could probably find a lovely home in Las Colinas in a gated community for sub-$800K but would want private schools. Exception, La Villeta area is served by a highly rated elementary school but way below your budget.
Thank you Wordklas - that is very helpful. I am all for avoiding traffic...

As we are thinking more about private school as an option, we probably should shrink down our budget to keep the monthly expenses remotely similar, as another poster pointed out previously. I do wonder if we are almost too late in the game for private schools - doing this remotely presents a challenge but we are looking into it.

Old 12-12-2019, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccernerd View Post
Where in Atlanta were you from? We just moved to DFW from Atlanta this past summer.

I think you should look at the Park Cities, Prestonwood, Lake Highlands, M-Street in that order.
We were in Midtown, but Virginia Highlands, Ansley Park, and Candler Park were some of our favorite neighborhoods.

Old 12-12-2019, 01:30 PM

Thanks for the description of the 75229 etc. area!
Got it - thank you! Looks like a good option w/ private schools.

Last edited by kimmawr; 12-12-2019 at 01:31 PM.. Reason: forgot to reference prior message

Old 12-12-2019, 02:18 PM

1,429 posts, read 1,777,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimmawr View Post
Thank you Wordklas - that is very helpful. I am all for avoiding traffic...

As we are thinking more about private school as an option, we probably should shrink down our budget to keep the monthly expenses remotely similar, as another poster pointed out previously. I do wonder if we are almost too late in the game for private schools - doing this remotely presents a challenge but we are looking into it.
You’d need to start the applications soon but you still have time for supplemental materials. The tricky part will be visiting and getting a good sense for the schools themselves while kids are there. Hard to get a sense for a place without seeing it in “action”.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas