U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2020, 03:36 PM

10 posts, read 8,567 times

Advertisements

I just received my son's ISEE Score Report:

Verbal Reasoning--------------3
Reading Comprehension--------6
Quantitative Reasoning--------8
Mathematics Achievement-----8

He applied St Make's, Greenhill and ESD for 9th grade. Because his score is too low, I worried about he can not get in any of them. Does anyone has the expreience for appling those schools about ISEE score? His school grade, teacher recommendation and interview are good. Do you think he has any chance to get in any of the three schools?

We just moved to United States the beginning of last year, so his vocabulary part is the worst on ISEE Score Report.

Thank you in advance.

Last edited by Thunder2020; 01-27-2020 at 03:46 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2020, 04:57 PM

710 posts, read 886,769 times
His overall score (25) is not bad at all...probably higher than the average score at most private schools. However, he applied to very selective schools so the “3” will probably
Make it tough. There are lots of other schools though, and even though it is past the deadline to apply, many will still Accept applications if you call them and ask. Maybe consider some backup options?

Old 01-27-2020, 05:28 PM

1,230 posts, read 1,076,466 times
As JTC said, it’s too hard to say. Personal opinion, he won’t be crossed off lists due to that score but those are all competitive places. Out of curiosity, Parish seems like a logical 4th application given that list. Any reason not to see if you can do a late app there?

Old 01-27-2020, 05:42 PM

710 posts, read 886,769 times
Parish is a great suggestion. If you are open to Catholic, also
Consider Jesuit or, depending on geographic preference John Paul II and or Bishop Lynch. Lakehill Prep is another option. If
You want to apply to backups, best to get on the phone ASAP.
Good luck!

Old 01-27-2020, 05:57 PM

24 posts, read 27,901 times
I don't know how receptive schools would be, but if English is not his first language - which may be what you are suggesting when you say that his vocabulary is his lowest score because you just moved to the United States last year - I would consider drawing that to their attention as it seems to me to be really important context to understand why he would have one outlier score.

Old 01-28-2020, 08:54 AM

50 posts, read 28,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunder2020 View Post
I just received my son's ISEE Score Report:

Verbal Reasoning--------------3
Reading Comprehension--------6
Quantitative Reasoning--------8
Mathematics Achievement-----8

He applied St Make's, Greenhill and ESD for 9th grade. Because his score is too low, I worried about he can not get in any of them. Does anyone has the expreience for appling those schools about ISEE score? His school grade, teacher recommendation and interview are good. Do you think he has any chance to get in any of the three schools?

We just moved to United States the beginning of last year, so his vocabulary part is the worst on ISEE Score Report.

Thank you in advance.
There are many other excellent private schools in the Dallas area that your son can get into if he is not accepted to one of the 3 you named.

Try not to allow this idea of "Elite" Dallas Private's get into your families head. IMO try to focus on the best fit for him and your family. But I understand if your top 3 are based on location.

https://www.bizjournals.com/dallas/n...ols-niche.html

Old 01-28-2020, 10:28 AM

860 posts, read 689,911 times
We get back to the original question .. .what are you looking for in a school ?l Why private and not public ? What district are you in ?

There are other privates beyond the elite group as others have said. Some of these may be religious, if you don't like that, then that narrows the field.

The names suggested above are good ones to consider. Also add Alcuin, Westwood and Dallas International School.

Good luck!

Old 01-28-2020, 11:00 AM

Thank you all for the information and advice! Our backup school is public high school(Lovejoy ISD). It’s also a great school, but it can not compare to the private schools. Thus, it is just as a backup school.

Old 01-28-2020, 11:04 AM

Yes, English is not his first language. The synonym part is the worst on the ISEE Score Report. Before we do not know he should take ISEE test for appling the private school, so he does not have enough time to prepare the test either.
Thank you so much!

Old 01-28-2020, 11:27 AM

10,501 posts, read 22,335,634 times
So you live in the Lovejoy area, but you're considering private schools that are in north Dallas. Are you aware of how far of a drive that will be every day?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas