Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2020, 12:54 PM

30 posts, read 201,159 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone, I've scoured city- data for detailed high school information. You've all helped me in years past when we relocated from the Chicago burbs to Nashville, TN.

Because our son is in marching band, honors band, theater, JROTC, both Martin HS and Hebron HS seem like excellent fits for him. However, I'm a little worried because we never really fit in in Nashville. We're a really laid back, happy go lucky family that can, at times, be loud. Our son dealt with quite a lot of bullying in elementary school - we moved here when he was 5, he's 15 now. I do not want to find ourselves in another hoity toity neighborhood that we don't find into.

Any suggestions/advice would be welcomed!

I've researched Flower Mound, Coppell, Marcus - on the great schools site there are issues with bullying. Martin & Hebron have much higher reviews. I also understand there will always be someone in every scenario that's less than kind - I don't expect perfect, just not so "bless your heart" aren't you a dummy fakeness.

We're looking for a 3 bed/2 bath home preferably with a pool. Nothing grandiose - ballpark of $350,000 and under. Arlington definitely fits the bill - more bang for your buck.

My husband's there now while I'm closing out our home in Nashville to sell. We'll catch up once we sell our home, find another one and complete the school year here.

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2020, 01:52 PM

565 posts, read 557,126 times
You did excellent research. Both schools are solid and both area's have good houses with pools in your price range. Examples

Martin
https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/4...29010069_zpid/
https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/4...29010085_zpid/

Hebron
https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/3...55147275_zpid/
https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/4...27273642_zpid/

In terms of which one gonna depend on you. Where do you guys plan on commutting workwise ? Both cities are far from each other so geographic location and needs play a decent factor. If commutting isn't a factor than I would lean more towards Hebron area since it's in a hot zone (close access to desirable area's like Far North dallas, West plano, Frisco).

Old 02-04-2020, 02:36 PM

8,144 posts, read 8,335,862 times
Both great. Prices for homes will be better at Martin. My son graduated from Martin HS in the 90’s. It was a great school then and continues to have a good reputation. Most of the neighborhoods around both Martin and Hebron are lovely and well kept. Low crime, good shopping.

The big question is work commute. Traffic is tough in DFW so work commute is pretty important.

Old 02-04-2020, 04:20 PM

617 posts, read 1,041,119 times
Yes, excellent choices. Commute is a huge factor. Arlington and Carrollton are quite far away from each other! Where is work?

Old 02-05-2020, 05:30 AM

30 posts, read 201,159 times
I knew I forgot something! My husband's working in Irving, just a smidge north of the University of Dallas. I'm a spec ed teacher's assistant. I've seen quite a few listings for me, prior to applying I want to have an area locked down, that way I'm closer to home.

My husband viewed 2 homes in Arlington last night, not good fits, one had stairs on top of stairs - we both turned 50 and became allergic to stairs! The other the pool patio was buckling and the retaining wall was in bad shape.

He'd like to start looking at Euless, Irving, Grapevine. When I research I utilize Google Earth - Grapevine looked like it might be a bear due to the airport. These schools are Birdville, Bell, and Colleyville Heritage - their reviews are pretty awesome, so now I'm thinking $%#&! Thanks Mike!

Old 02-05-2020, 07:40 AM

8,144 posts, read 8,335,862 times
I would concentrate on the Grapevine-Colleyville school district. There are homes in North Hurst and Euless (in zip 76039) that are also zoned to GCISD. Be sure to verify schools.

SW Arlington won’t work. Flower Mound or the above would be best.

Old 02-05-2020, 08:48 AM

11,852 posts, read 26,850,435 times
I live in Grapevine, and I will happily answer questions.

No, we get very little airport noise. When you come look at houses, just stand outside for a few minutes and listen. Almost all of the flight paths are over industrial/commercial property (WalMart, Grapevine Mills Mall, warehouses) and not over residential areas. The neighborhood I live in has a lot of airline employees since the terminals are accessible without getting on the highway.

Grapevine's property taxes are significantly lower than the surrounding suburbs due to the city's focus on tourism to bring in sales tax revenue. We have a beautiful city recreation center, well-maintained parks and trails, and a wonderful library. Our downtown is on the National Register of Historic Places, and the city holds 2 major festivals every year. Streets are well maintained, and crime is very low.

One thing to keep in mind is that GCISD schools have a very diverse student population, both ethnically and economically. There is a significant amount of low income and ESL students, especially at Grapevine HS, which does make the test scores skew a little lower than CHHS, and lower than surrounding districts. If you look at the achievements of the top students, you'll see they do just as well as their peers in surrounding districts.

Old 02-05-2020, 10:00 AM

40,951 posts, read 49,150,612 times
Problem you have right now is a very Low Inventory of homes.
That should improve over the next 30-90 days. But also the volume of Buyers looking for those homes.

Carrollton has a lot of Foundation issues. If I was you I'd look in Flower Mound. One of my favorite areas.
Southern FM if possible in the FM HS district. But Marcus is good also.

Eliminate the pool option and you'll find a better selection of homes.

Old 02-05-2020, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristieP View Post
I live in Grapevine, and I will happily answer questions.

No, we get very little airport noise. When you come look at houses, just stand outside for a few minutes and listen. Almost all of the flight paths are over industrial/commercial property (WalMart, Grapevine Mills Mall, warehouses) and not over residential areas. The neighborhood I live in has a lot of airline employees since the terminals are accessible without getting on the highway.
90% of the time Planes land from the North (quietly) and take off to the South (Loud).

In general our winds blow from the South except like the last few days when cold Northern winds come in.

Due East and West get's very little air traffic.

Old 02-05-2020, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbrightness View Post

He'd like to start looking at Euless, Irving, Grapevine. When I research I utilize Google Earth - Grapevine looked like it might be a bear due to the airport. These schools are Birdville, Bell, and Colleyville Heritage - their reviews are pretty awesome, so now I'm thinking $%#&! Thanks Mike!
The Bedford area but also Trinity HS (used to be) good. Bedford has some very nice 1980's homes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas