Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-22-2008, 08:02 PM

69 posts, read 288,423 times

Advertisements

My water level is going down pretty good since this spring has started... we're talking a few inches in 3-5 days (in ground pool, about 16,000 gallons, i think )

I had someone else tell me here in the area that they are having the same problem (more water missing than usual). He was puzzled also, but he was thinking there may be more evaporation this spring than normal. I'm not sure why that would be, but what do I know??

Just wondering if anyone else is having this problem. This is my first season as a pool owner (purchased home w/ a pool) and I'm thinking because it's more than just me seeing this, it may just be normal, and not a leak .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2008, 08:15 PM

4,207 posts, read 15,210,893 times
That sounds more serious than evaporation. I don' think it's been that hot yet to see that type of drop. I think you can buy a dye kit at Leslie's Pools to test for a leak.

That is if you don't want to pay an arm and a leg for a pro to look at it.

Naima

Old 04-22-2008, 08:53 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,732,405 times
Ours was a little down over the weekend but nothing abnormal though. It just looked "slightly" down but they had just cleaned it REALLY GOOD and cleaned the filters. It wasn't so low we like were going "WOW, the water is really down".

Old 04-22-2008, 09:11 PM

2,896 posts, read 6,617,812 times
A quick and easy way to check if you have a leak or your water loss is due to evaporation:

Get a bucket (a 5 gallon bucket works great) and place it on the second step or a "love seat" if your pool has one and fill it with water so that it is exactly the same level as the swimming pool.

If evaporation is the issue then the levels in the pool and the bucket will drop at the same rate.

If the level in the bucket drop faster than the pool then you have a bum bucket Kiddin', it should only lose water through the evaporation process.

If your pool is leaking the level in the bucket will only drop slightly due to evaporation but the water in the pool will be well below that in the bucket.

If it's the pool leaking....come back and let us know

Last edited by da jammer; 04-23-2008 at 08:13 AM..

Old 04-23-2008, 08:10 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,595,110 times
da jammer--WOW--that is a great hint---

Old 04-23-2008, 10:09 AM

3,041 posts, read 11,853,268 times
GREAT trick!

(I managed a pool in hOUston ofr years and never thought of that!)

My best guess is you have a leak. The weather really hasn't been that hot for drastic evap.

AFTER you put DaJammers bucket on the step, go around to your pump and filter, is the ground really wet around there? is the path from hte pool to the pump area wetter than the rest of the yard? seeping pipes are easier to deal with than a cracked pool.
Also...have someone stand back by the pump area when you vacuum (or the auto is running) and see if the pump area is wet. DO a Backwash and see if water is visably leaking.

Then if all these fail to give results and the BUCKET test says...LEAK go to Leslies and get a dye kit, find out where the leak is. The more knowledeable you are the less likly you'll pay more than needed for a repair. Pool Repair folk LOVE newbie pool owners!!

Old 04-23-2008, 03:20 PM

69 posts, read 288,423 times
Ok. So I didnt do the bucket test, but I refilled the pool and did the dye test by the skimmer box. Looks like that may be the culprit!! The dye disapeared there, and not any where else (everywhere else, it just floated off). So I'll be fixing the seal between the pool and the skimmer box w/ an epoxy I bought at Leslies.

I'll let you guys know what's up and post anything else I figure....

Keep your fingers crossed!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: