Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-22-2008, 09:57 PM

4 posts, read 22,291 times

Advertisements

I am strongly considering buying a home in one of Keller's newest and possibly last developments. Its called Marshall Ridge and its on the east side of 377 south of 170 about a mile.

I have some concerns as they say location, location, location is so important. I know Keller is a desirable area but this new subdivision has railroad tracks on the other side of 377 ( probably not that much of a nuisance but still could be heard at times). Also on the other side of 377 there is a large industrial park and lastly the area immediately adjacent to Marshall Ridge on the north is also zoned for Industrial. Its a very large master planned community (400+ homes, 150-200+ acres) and the models I am looking at are towards the back middle area. It really seems like a great community and amenities but the above worry me a little when it comes to resale.

How much does the surrounding area like the above of a development impact future resale?

Thnx any advice or insight would be appreciated!!

jtgostars
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2008, 07:14 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,862,293 times
It has a LOT to do with desireability and resale factor--
also the schools that this development would be zoned for will have impact as well...

Keller ISD has been through a bumpy patch the last couple of years and after the last school board election where some members were replaced who were at odds with the superintendant things seem to have quieted down somewhat

there is big zoning issue in Keller because some schools are across busy roads from developments their enrollments come from--so kids have to walk--parents don't like that

HS for this development is W of 377 and so is the current elementary school--there is supposed to be new elem built for the Marshall Point and Ridge developments to use but that is probably a couple of years down the road at least...

there has been HUGH amount of growth there as well in past 8-10 years which is always difficult for a district to adapt to--Keller ISD taxes are second highest in Tarrant co--just after Southlake's Carroll ISD's---even higher than Colleyville's (which kind of surprised me)

Part of Keller ISD is in FTW city limits--basically what is west of 377 but part of north Keller is also in Roanoke--just has Keller mailing address as the FTW city locaton does as well...have you checked the CITY taxes you are paying--Keller city taxes are high as well comparatively...

I think you are wise to be concerned about the industrial park--how will the trucks that serve that park be routed? what main streets will they be using? what route are you likely to use to get to and from work or to things like grocery stores/shopping?

what about air pollution (and don't depend on the city's guidelines to prevent pollution or odors)...and what about GAS WELL DRILLING--PIPELINES--CONDENSER PLANTS in that area--I know there was a well drilling across Bourland from Harmonson Farms last year and I bet there are other wells scheduled to be drilled all around there--Keller city council has pretty accommodating drilling ordinances...so MAKE SURE YOU CHECK IT OUT...there was a well being drilled just behind Harmonson Farms as well...

that RR track gets lot of use--Burlington Northern has been shipping facility not too far from 377 and Western Center interchange--stops traffic 4 or more times a day--of course if you are not crossing 377 that won't necessarily bother you...but the two schools for the beginning of this development ARE over there--so if you have children you will be taking them--think it is too close to get bus ride...

You won't get much a price break on these houses because they are new construction--not something that has been done and languishing to be sold---they are also probably in Keller city limits -- or Roanoak which is almost same thing--which means the buider/developer paid more for the dirt with it being close to Westlake--and supposedly a more desireable location---

so don't expect to cut a deal--Drees and Meritage are the two builders--
you can do a search here for what people have to say who have bought their homes...
Drees we have talked to before when we were considering buying in Harmonson Farms--they have supposed won a best builder award but that is not something I would put much stock in---
they build by price point--they will let you augment a plan but you pay for it-- and everything depends on WHO their construction manager is that has oversight for that development and who their crews are--they use a lot of Hispanic crews from what we saw at Harmonson Farms homes which is neither good nor bad but it can make ti difficult to get information if you visit your house site and have questions about issues/items/progress---
IF YOU CAN AFFORD IT (and this might be where you can negotiate)
have them use Exterior Wrap around the house (which might be part of their package), SOLAR BOARD for the roof and for the sides as shield from heat intrusion--
make sure they use MASTIC to seal the HVAC tubes--
make sure SOMEONE insulates with foam around all windows, light fixtures that drop from the ceiling/attic and plumbing runs from the slab, and things like baseboard plugs or wall switches...

try for extra insulation in attic as well and blown cellulose in walls--
if you can't then the SOLARBOARD as exterior sheathing is even more beneficial...
you can't afford a gray water system but try for the highest efficiency hot water heater you can get

check out the posts on this site and consider that some posters may have special interests
Marshall Point/Marshall Ridge in Keller - Trulia Voices

remember that builders that offer financing will not hold that loan once you have closed on your purchase--if they can, that loan will be sold off to make money for the builder...so you need to make sure you understand ALL the financial ramifications of the contract and would definitely recommend you have an attorney review it before signing...
the sales agents of ANY builder are working for the builder---NOT YOU---and frankly some real estate agents might be more interested in making a sale than a friend for life as well....

Old 04-23-2008, 10:22 AM

3,041 posts, read 11,887,311 times
Quote:
( probably not that much of a nuisance but still could be heard at times).
I live in central Keller East of the "tracks" and you can hear it. I am gettiing used to it and I only hear the 3am train about once a week. But I hear the sat/sunday 6am trains just about everyweekend. (not too loud inside but some of those engineer LOVE to lean on hte horn!!)

SO you are right next to the tracks...YOU will hear it. It passes ALL day long.

Also 377 construction widening it to 4 lanes....GREAT for us, but traffic WILL incease. you will lots of semis on it (there are lots now) The main Kroger wharehouse is south on 377.

So you will get road noise as well as train noise.

The new HS will open in 2009, it is W of 377. If you have HS kids then crossing the tracks for school, for activites etc... may become a real pain.

Just something to think about.

Also I am suprised they are moving forward with the ridge, there are soooo many houses for sale in Woodland springs right now I don't know if they will be able to sell the inventory.

Have you looked in central keller? there are alot of NICE houses for sale (some new some pre-owned) that you can probably get a very good deal.

Old 04-23-2008, 11:29 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,862,293 times
Woodland Springs is not new construction--maybe another development on that side of 377 have have some new starts but think Woodland Spings itself is built out
just like Harmonson Farms for Drees--that is built out

if there is no new construction then the mass tract builder die out so for them it is build or die
this area is considered more "upscale" than Woodland Springs--homes in Mr Gilead Ranch and Overton Ridge are tract homes but prices around 500K and up
same with Harmonson Farms...but those homes are maybe little less expensive cause their lots are smaller...

being right off Mt Gilead and 377--there is not a lot of shopping around there close--you have to go down to 1709 and E to Rufe Snow to get the Tom Thumb and Kroger that are the closest grocery stores
there is a nice restaurant in the Tom Thumb strip center called Mezza Luna--food food--Italian fare-- run by Albanian family--they used to be in Bedford area before moving to open Mezza Luna--

and from the plat map on the Drees site one side of the Marshall Point development abutts a private air stip--that might be an older development that is built with homes with hangers for private planes around the common runway they share--small prop planes...

Old 04-23-2008, 01:32 PM

3,041 posts, read 11,887,311 times
Quote:
Woodland Springs is not new construction--maybe another development on that side of 377 have have some new starts but think Woodland Spings itself is built out
I was meaning generally homes for sale...ton of inventory.
But from what I read there are still new homes being built in the Villages of Woodland springs. in the Sunset @ VOWS
Ft. Worth new homes at Villages of Woodland Springs : Ft. Worth, TX - Royce Builders (broken link)

The county and city govt control the ammount land they developers develop etc... I think they could have used much more "smart growth planning" in that area. BUT as they say..."money talks"

Quote:
Mezza Luna--food food--Italian fare-- run by Albanian family--they used to be in Bedford area before moving to open Mezza Luna--
Good to know! we haven't tried them yet.
Nikki's Itallian bistro in hte Kroger down on N. Tarrant and Rufe Snow is family owned and very good as well.

For grocery shopping at Mt Gilead and 377...
I would go up 377 to 170 to 114 and get off at Trophy Lakes dr Trophy Club to the Tom Thumb there...ALOT less traffic than going back down 377 (A mess right now with constr.) to 1709 etc...
When 377 construction is done it won't be as bad as it is now. I sat for 30 minutes from Keller-Haslet to 1709 the other day at 5pm. YUCK.

Old 09-19-2008, 08:36 PM

29 posts, read 88,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
that RR track gets lot of use--Burlington Northern has been shipping facility not too far from 377 and Western Center interchange--stops traffic 4 or more times a day--of course if you are not crossing 377 that won't necessarily bother you...but the two schools for the beginning of this development ARE over there--so if you have children you will be taking them--think it is too close to get bus ride...
Actually, those are Union Pacific tracks, but if you lived in Heritage you wouldn't have to cross over to 377 much, since they are building all the shopping along I-35W.

Old 09-20-2008, 07:40 AM

140 posts, read 404,890 times
That is a great neighborhood , I also like the Heritage alot also. I live in a gated community across 35w that is Keller ISd. It might be worth checking out also.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas