Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-13-2020, 03:36 PM

380 posts, read 367,899 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_potion_darling View Post
How many people have been told by their employer to work remotely? I realize not everyone has that ability given the nature of jobs, but if you can, have you been instructed to?
My husband's employer is doing the opposite, strongly encouraging leadership to stay at work to set a good example. He's in finance, so they want him to be available in case people call freaking out about the stock market. Our spring break trip out of town will go on without him, but I'm sad.

Old 03-13-2020, 04:46 PM

9,546 posts, read 7,069,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jiping View Post
No big deal for Keller, but for poor ISDs where parents use school as free babysitter and free restaurant, it would be devastating.
Further information, because there *are* families in need in Keller ISD:

"Will Meals Be Available For Students That Need Them?
Sodexo – the District’s food service provider – will provide meals for children under the age of 19 at five school sites during the closure.
Meals will be served curbside at these five campus sites, and one meal will be provided for each child in the vehicle. Meals will be available from 11 a.m.-1 p.m. Monday through Friday, beginning March 16, at the following campuses:
Basswood Elementary School (3100 Clay Mountain Trail, Fort Worth, 76137)
Caprock Elementary School (12301 Grey Twig Drive, Fort Worth, 76244)
Eagle Ridge Elementary School (4600 Alta Vista Road, Fort Worth, 76244)
Keller-Harvel Elementary School (635 Norma Lane, Keller, 76248)
Whitley Road Elementary School (7600 Whitley Road, Watuaga, 76148)
These healthy meals will include protein, grain, fruit, and vegetables. Milk will also be available as an option. Parents are requested to remain in their car as they drive through to pick up meals. Meals are available to any children in Keller ISD and not restricted to students on free/reduced lunch plans."

Old 03-13-2020, 06:28 PM

The North Richland Hills library is closed until April 1st.

Tarrant County is shutting down a lot. I'm sure Carroll schools are also closed.

Old 03-13-2020, 06:30 PM

578 posts, read 478,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calgirlinnc View Post
I think you'd be surprised. Not everyone who attends Keller HS is wealthy, and schools like Fossil Ridge HS are not wealthy at all. I can tell you for example that Bear Creek Intermediate keeps a supply closet of soap, toothpaste and the like which is for families at that school.
I say it's not a big deal. I'm not saying there will be zero impact for Keller.

Now for DISD I don't know what will happen with 40% single parent and 90% free lunch.

Old 03-13-2020, 07:31 PM

3,835 posts, read 4,441,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jiping View Post
I say it's not a big deal. I'm not saying there will be zero impact for Keller.

Now for DISD I don't know what will happen with 40% single parent and 90% free lunch.
Jiping,
You have now made several very disrespectful comments about DISD. That’s really uncalled for. Surely you remember when people have made disrespectful comments about chinese people?

Old 03-13-2020, 07:48 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,292,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biafra4life View Post
Jiping,
You have now made several very disrespectful comments about DISD. That’s really uncalled for. Surely you remember when people have made disrespectful comments about chinese people?
I’m not sure what’s disrespectful in his post. Something like 88% of DISD students qualify for free or reduced fee lunch at school. Many of these kids live in food scarce homes. Many of them don’t have internet at home. Public libraries are now closed. They don’t have a Starbucks with free Wifi on the corner. How will these kids eat (first and foremost) if school doesn’t resume for a few weeks or a few months? How will these kids keep up with schoolwork? This is before taking into account any economic impact of parents who are hourly workers getting hours cut or job loss if this goes on for a long time.

Old 03-13-2020, 07:53 PM

1,530 posts, read 1,411,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
I’m not sure what’s disrespectful in his post. Something like 88% of DISD students qualify for free or reduced fee lunch at school. Many of these kids live in food scarce homes. Many of them don’t have internet at home. Public libraries are now closed. They don’t have a Starbucks with free Wifi on the corner. How will these kids eat (first and foremost) if school doesn’t resume for a few weeks or a few months? How will these kids keep up with schoolwork? This is before taking into account any economic impact of parents who are hourly workers getting hours cut or job loss if this goes on for a long time.
I agree, I don't think he meant it in a disrespectful way but just to outline this as an underlying problem for DISD school closing. But if kids are going to school for food rather than education, we got bigger problems in this county. Not being fed due to schools being closed, that is really not a DISD problem.

Last edited by Capitalprophets; 03-13-2020 at 09:04 PM..

Old 03-13-2020, 09:03 PM

2,511 posts, read 2,214,194 times
Both my kids are out of school for two weeks thus far. My 7th grader goes to Crowley ISD which isn't a rich school district. They've extended Spring Break by two weeks. My third grader goes to a very technologically advanced K-8 private school. They've had middle school distance learning plans for several years now for when there's a snow day. The school staff is meeting Monday and Tuesday to develop a distance learning plan that they'll roll out on Tuesday or Wednesday. The DMA is closed and so is the Fort Worth Museum of Science and History. We have season tickets to Casa for Kids at Casa Manana. Matilda the Musical was canceled. My older son's Duke TIP awards ceremony was canceled as well. My mom is staying at a rehab facility and my dad is staying at a residential care facility. The state locked both down for the next two weeks.

Old 03-13-2020, 10:15 PM

Just got back from Walmart and Kroger.

Walmart had only some large frozen turkeys and hams left. All other meat was gone. (I bought the last pack of bacon.). No hamburger, chicken, pork...nothing. There was some fish left.

They still had a lot of frozen food. Can goods were being restocked.

Almost all the pasta and rice was gone. Very little butter, eggs, milk, cheese, etc.
There was no sliced bread at all.

No TP. (They said they would get a delivery tomorrow). No paper towels. Limited supplies of soap, detergent, etc. Toothpaste was almost gone. All flu type medicine was gone.

Kroger had more of everything so I would start there if you need supplies.

Old 03-13-2020, 10:20 PM

198 posts, read 174,802 times
Coronavirus: Why You Must Act Now
Politicians, Community Leaders and Business Leaders: What Should You Do and When?

https://medium.com/@tomaspueyo/coron...e-f4d3d9cd99ca

Last edited by san11; 03-13-2020 at 10:34 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas