U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2008, 08:40 PM

58 posts, read 232,384 times

Advertisements

We are planning to buy a diamond wedding ring. Which store do you recommend? We are looking for a ring around $1000-2000 with decent quality.
Is Zales Outlet a good choice or we should look at its regular stores?
Basically we need a decent ring without exorbitant prices. North Dallas, Plano, McKinney is the areas we prefer to shop.

thanks,

Old 04-24-2008, 09:21 PM

78 posts, read 267,746 times
Zales is fine just keep in mind that the prices aren't necessarily set. You can haggle a little. Zales is based in las colinas so they may have a bigger outlet at HQ.

Old 04-24-2008, 10:27 PM

1,067 posts, read 5,122,342 times
We use Griffin Jewelers in McKinney on Virginia and Central Expressway for repairs and sizing. I was in there 2 days ago getting a ring sized for my daughter. They have several wedding and engagement bands. I though did not look at the prices but do know they are owned by an elderly couple who are extremely honest and would believe by the service and pricing I have gotten in the past would lead me to believe they would have fair pricing.

Maybe try Jewelry Exchange in Dallas, I always see their ads for getting a large diamond for not alot... I though am not going to be of good help with engagement rings in general. It got engaged almost 2 decades ago.

Old 04-24-2008, 11:25 PM

709 posts, read 3,163,471 times
We got my ring from Jarrods. They were and are awesome to work with.

Old 04-24-2008, 11:44 PM

4,136 posts, read 13,447,911 times
Check the Diamond Doctor by the Galleria. They have reasonable prices and a wide variety.

Wholesale Diamond Rings & Diamond Jewelry, Antique Diamond Engagement Rings, Necklace & Pendants

Naima

Old 04-25-2008, 08:40 AM

172 posts, read 448,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nsumner View Post
Check the Diamond Doctor by the Galleria. They have reasonable prices and a wide variety.

Wholesale Diamond Rings & Diamond Jewelry, Antique Diamond Engagement Rings, Necklace & Pendants

Naima
I agree with nsumner. Diamond doctor is the way to go. There is not pressure to sell you a stone and they explain in a clear manner what to look for when choosing a stone. I will admit that I used to know next to nothing about diamonds, other than they cost a lot of money. My wife and I went to Diamond Doctor, wonderful sales team, and they give you all the information regarding, cut, clarity and color of the diamond. They showed us various stones in our price range and showed us the differences between them. Very informative and very pleasant experience.

Old 04-25-2008, 11:51 AM

4,172 posts, read 5,980,082 times
Do research on the internet and see the prices in some of the stores there. You may end up saving about 9% tax (with a return policy). Be sure the internet store has a decent reputation. Or, after your research, if u are not comfortable shopping on the internet, try SAMs club. You will be surprised at the prices - especially solitaires. You do not pay for the "foo foo" - or is it "fu fu" - factor, the bright lights etc, plus SAMS has good warranty. Costco may carry diamonds too. Note that diamond prices do not vary too much since it is probably the only true world monopoly, but they do vary significantly.
Good luck!

Old 04-25-2008, 02:26 PM

172 posts, read 448,831 times
The mark up on diamonds is horrendous. Also remember comparing two diamods is not like comparing two apples. The value of a diamond is determined not only by the size but by Cut (the better the cut the more brilliant the diamond is) the better the cut the more expesive it is - this is why ideal cut diamonds cost more. Clarity (the number of impurities in the stone) - the higher the clarity the more expesive. Color - the higher the color rating the more expensive. This why you find diamonds with flawless clarity but poor cut and poor color selling for less that $10,000 (depending on the size as well). Also remember, always make sure that the diamond you are getting has been certified by GIA or AGL (they will actually give you a certificate by one of these two companies that shows all the information regarding your diamond), this will make it easier to insure your diamond.

Old 04-25-2008, 05:24 PM

68 posts, read 257,078 times
Default Before you go to the stores...

Check out Diamonds, Engagement Rings and Fine Jewelry at Blue Nile !!!!

I purchased several times on that site! I also made phonecalls to them. Customer service is excellent and prices are unbeatable!!! One time we had the wrong ring size and they were very helpful and we were able to exchange without a problem!

Old 04-26-2008, 12:43 AM

3,853 posts, read 11,644,584 times
If I were you I'd just buy a cubic zirconia ring and just use the rest of the money on something the both of you can do like a honey moon or something.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or