Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2006, 10:04 PM

1 posts, read 7,171 times

Advertisements

I am likely going to accept job offer in Dallas and will be moving June 2007 from Houston. I am originally from the San Francisco bay area, but have been moving all over the country in the last several years. I now call Texas my home and want to stay in this state. I love Austin and initially was going to accept a job offer there and live in the Town Lake area, but I cannot pass up this job opportunity in Dallas.

Where should I live??? Ill be working in the medical center area (Harry Hines) and recently visited the Uptown and Turtle Creek area. I liked these places. Are there other places that would be a good place to live for a single, early thirty's guy? I am looking at a 300-350K price-range max, nice fun neighborhood and would not mind either a townhome, condo or even a house? I dont think that I will need to consider schools at this point in my life. Id like to live in a nice "hip" place that is not too painful on the pocketbook! Looking to buy (for investment), not rent or lease.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2006, 05:10 AM

5,641 posts, read 24,951,486 times
Given your requirements I think Uptown is your best bet.

Old 12-29-2006, 08:12 AM

30 posts, read 204,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbmd View Post
Where should I live??? Ill be working in the medical center area (Harry Hines) and recently visited the Uptown and Turtle Creek area. I liked these places. Are there other places that would be a good place to live for a single, early thirty's guy? I am looking at a 300-350K price-range max, nice fun neighborhood and would not mind either a townhome, condo or even a house? I dont think that I will need to consider schools at this point in my life. Id like to live in a nice "hip" place that is not too painful on the pocketbook! Looking to buy (for investment), not rent or lease.
I would say think about whether or not you want the responsibility of a house. It is a great investment if you pick right, but it is also going to involve upkeep. If you have a house close to that area, you will have more upkeep, because the homes will be older.

If you have a condo, that is a different story. You can buy something fun in the uptown area or near, for that range.

If you are looking for a home, you might want to consider the M Street area. It is close to downtown. It is several streets of houses with "M" as the starter names, and it is a VERY hip area. Lots of singles and young marrieds. Very, very cool restaurants. They also have duplexes you could invest in there.

Old 12-29-2006, 09:01 AM

30 posts, read 204,125 times
Default Another thought

You might just want to sign a 6 month lease on a cute downtown/uptown apartment, and then look around. You can find something right where you are at for like $1000 or so a month (that is a small 1 bedroom). Then, you can research and figure out the area you want to invest in.

Old 01-05-2007, 08:48 AM

13 posts, read 122,475 times
From someone who moved here a while ago I would suggest you stay where you are. The cost of living is affordable, but it's one flat, barren, hot and ugly city.

Old 01-05-2007, 09:23 AM

2,256 posts, read 9,761,000 times
The cost of living is affordable, but it's one flat, barren, hot and ugly city.[/quote]

I've lived in flat, barren, hot and ugly and it's called Del Rio TX.

~ b

Old 01-05-2007, 09:24 AM

1,560 posts, read 7,146,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnum View Post
From someone who moved here a while ago I would suggest you stay where you are. The cost of living is affordable, but it's one flat, barren, hot and ugly city.
He's moving from Houston, from my experience Houston's hotter, more humid, flatter, and uglier than the Metroplex. (Although Houston does have some interesting architecture on Hwy 59 coming into downtown from the west side of 610.)

Old 01-05-2007, 03:48 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,869,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPadge View Post
He's moving from Houston, from my experience Houston's hotter, more humid, flatter, and uglier than the Metroplex. (Although Houston does have some interesting architecture on Hwy 59 coming into downtown from the west side of 610.)
No, he is in Rowlett. He pops up every now and then to put everything about the Dallas area and Texas down. I thought he would have moved by now but I guess not. Too bad. He needs to get out more as the Dallas area is not "flat, ugly or brown".

Old 01-05-2007, 07:51 PM

1,560 posts, read 7,146,055 times
Sorry. bbbmd's from Houston and I was responding to Barnum. Gulf5driver got his post in before me, and I didn't notice.

Old 01-07-2007, 04:20 PM

4,875 posts, read 10,070,126 times
I heard that the best Dallas ISD comprehensive high school is W.T. White (Addison, northwest Dallas, DISD part of Carrollton and Farmers Branch)

W.T. White: http://www.greatschools.net/modperl/...school/tx/1928

Again, DISD has a lot of bad schools, so shop around if you wish to live in the center city with kids!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas