Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-18-2021, 05:19 PM

1 posts, read 729 times

Advertisements

Hi,

Moving to Texas with a kid(2.5 yrs). After doing a lot of research on where to live being my work location is Irving, am still confused about whether to live close to my workplace i.e Irving(With not a very good school district), or live in Frisco/Plano(with some decent school district). Below are the options I see, but not able to pick one. Hoping this forum helps me pick one of these options or recommend a much better option,

1) Live in Irving until my kid is of 4/5 years age(Depending on the Texas age requirements to join the public schools) and then move to good school districts such as Coppell/Plano or Frisco. Two benefits with this option are,
a) Saves some money in rent as the apartments in non-school districts might be a little cheaper compared to the ones in the good school districts.
b) Less commute time to the workplace.
2) Live in Valley Ranch part of Irving which is under Coppell ISD( A very good school district ).
a) Less commute time to the workplace.
b) Very good school options.
c) Apartment rents are pretty expensive.
3) Live in Plano/Frisco.
a) More time to commute to the workplace and expensive due to tolls.
b) Good school options
c) Apartment rents are less compared to Coppell.

The reason for choosing only the above areas is because of the existence of good Indian communities in these locations.
Please correct if any of my above understanding is not right.

Also, I would like to send my kid to preschool(Even if it's private and I have to pay some nominal fees out of my pocket). I appreciate it if you can recommend some good preschools(Public/Private) that can accept enrollments when the kid turns 3.

Thanks
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2021, 06:02 PM

8,302 posts, read 5,702,626 times
Grapevine as well as Carrollton/Farmers Branch are also options within reasonable commuting distance to Irving if you want decent schools.

Plano/Frisco are just too far.

Old 01-18-2021, 07:14 PM

11,853 posts, read 26,868,308 times
I agree that Plano/Frisco is not a good commute to Las Colinas. In addition to the mileage, it also involves a toll road which gets expensive.

Since you’ll only be renting, since your child is only 2.5 now, then just live in Irving for now. You’ll be close to your work, and you can learn about the area and decide where you want to be when your child is ready to start school.

Old 01-19-2021, 11:40 AM

1,447 posts, read 1,487,298 times
Pick a charter school like North Hills Prep.....free and good in Irving.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas