Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-02-2021, 10:27 PM

18 posts, read 27,167 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

Interested to get any input on Star Trail in Prosper TX. Also curious thoughts on communities surrounding Star Trails and the advantages and disadvantages of living in Star Trail? I will be working from home, so commute won’t be an issue. Thoughts on the community, amenities (stores or restaurants) near by, family life (I have a 7 and 15 yr old), schools for K-12 (Stuber Elementary, Reynolds Middle and Prosper High). Also any idea if the infrastructure is set up for fiber internet?

Also anything else that you’d like to provide about the city of Prosper and different areas within the city.

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2021, 12:13 AM

176 posts, read 234,151 times
My mother is building a house there. Liked the location just off the Tollway. It has gained residents that used to live in Windsong. Windsong too much of a party scene.

Old 02-03-2021, 12:19 AM

Good to know. Windsong seems like a lot of fun and great amenities. Star Trail seemed to be more our speed and we’re looking forward to learning more.

Old 02-03-2021, 08:15 AM

3,754 posts, read 4,238,095 times
Not much info on it yet really, and I live in Prosper myself. Most of the discussion about Prosper still centers on everything east of Preston and retail along 380.

There are 5-6 different builders there, and if I were looking to buy there, I might be concerned about price discrepancies between homes, which could vary by hundreds of thousands. In my experience, resale in a neighborhood comes easier when the home prices are similar and there are no outliers. In my neighborhood for example, the average price is probably $625-650k. Most homes are between 4-5k sq ft. From what I've seen, homes that deviate from that too much stay on the market a lot longer and usually go for a lower percentage of asking price. We saw that with our neighbor's home... it's one of the few on the street with less than 4k sq feet (3200 sq ft.) That's a decent sized home, but when it's flanked by 5000+ sq ft homes, it sticks out. The previous owner took a bath when selling it, comps/sq ft killed it.

Old 02-05-2021, 01:09 PM

559 posts, read 936,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katana49 View Post
Not much info on it yet really, and I live in Prosper myself. Most of the discussion about Prosper still centers on everything east of Preston and retail along 380.

There are 5-6 different builders there, and if I were looking to buy there, I might be concerned about price discrepancies between homes, which could vary by hundreds of thousands. In my experience, resale in a neighborhood comes easier when the home prices are similar and there are no outliers. In my neighborhood for example, the average price is probably $625-650k. Most homes are between 4-5k sq ft. From what I've seen, homes that deviate from that too much stay on the market a lot longer and usually go for a lower percentage of asking price. We saw that with our neighbor's home... it's one of the few on the street with less than 4k sq feet (3200 sq ft.) That's a decent sized home, but when it's flanked by 5000+ sq ft homes, it sticks out. The previous owner took a bath when selling it, comps/sq ft killed it.
One thing I know for sure is that if house is priced right to sell then buyer will come and make the offer in this market.

If your neighbor was expecting to sell 3200 sq ft house close to the price of 4k - 5K sq ft home, then good luck it won't happen in any community unless 3200 sq ft house has way higher equity on remodel/upgrade only then buyer may come and pay more.

Old 02-05-2021, 11:19 PM

I’ve wondered about why the Star Trail homes are much more than other surrounding areas. Does the MUD/PID taxes come into play? So, since there are no mud/pid in star trail, do they get away with a higher priced home? Seems that the demand by people moving in from out of state creates a willingness to spend more because of what they’re used to versus locals. There are some nice homes and neighborhoods/communities in prosper... is it the access to the tollway?

Old 02-06-2021, 05:54 PM

210 posts, read 275,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigertan888 View Post
I’ve wondered about why the Star Trail homes are much more than other surrounding areas. Does the MUD/PID taxes come into play? So, since there are no mud/pid in star trail, do they get away with a higher priced home? Seems that the demand by people moving in from out of state creates a willingness to spend more because of what they’re used to versus locals. There are some nice homes and neighborhoods/communities in prosper... is it the access to the tollway?
Primarily, the familiar supply and demand theory caused by the # of relo's choosing NTX, the dramatic boost in lumber, labor and material costs and of course the new DNT extension crossing Hwy 380 headed north to Celina, TX. and to the Grayson County line. The Prosper School District has been most recently recognized as similar in quality to Frisco's School District.

I posted this comment 9/21/2017 City-Data.Com:

"Here's the buying signal for new home purchases right now, yes any new home that can be purchased at $400K or close to it is a great deal! The best area is bounded by Hwy 423 to the west Hwy 380 to the north and Custer Rd. to the east up to Celina's city limits to the north.

Right now, the new residential development at Prosper Trail and west of the Dallas North Tollway has Grand Opening prices homes with 55' lots starting at $374K, 1,800 s.f. to 2450 s.f. and homes with 65' lots starting at $427K, 2430 s.f. to 3000 s.f. These prices were increased $5K last week, so keep talking and you will definitely be paying more!

Remember, two major hurricanes have hit Texas, Florida and some Caribbean islands were totally destroyed, materials will certainly go up in price and labor will be hard to find and wages will for certain increase dramatically! Trump also imposed a tariff on Canadian lumber and basically has stopped undocumented immigrant construction labor from Mexico - brilliant!

Be smart and look hard this weekend, buy intelligently, these price ranges will soon disappear, buying a new home is like trying to time the stock market! Best advice is don't buy a home for an investment, buy yourself and your family a nice new home to enjoy and live in. Location, location and schools win out!"

We live in Windsong Ranch moved to Prosper, TX. after having lived in Frisco, TX. for 11 years. We have lived in Prosper for 5+ years. I will repeat what my considerations are in buying a new home in NTX, it is not for investment purposes. Find a home you and your family can enjoy for years, next location, location and good schools. The rest will take care of itself. We live in a 3500 s.f. home on a corner lot overlooking a one acre green space and because we did not wait for prices to drop like many people did at the time, we paid $477K!

Good Luck & Happy House Hunting!

Last edited by Fiber Guy; 02-06-2021 at 06:27 PM..

Old 02-17-2021, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiber Guy View Post
Primarily, the familiar supply and demand theory caused by the # of relo's choosing NTX, the dramatic boost in lumber, labor and material costs and of course the new DNT extension crossing Hwy 380 headed north to Celina, TX. and to the Grayson County line. The Prosper School District has been most recently recognized as similar in quality to Frisco's School District.

I posted this comment 9/21/2017 City-Data.Com:

"Here's the buying signal for new home purchases right now, yes any new home that can be purchased at $400K or close to it is a great deal! The best area is bounded by Hwy 423 to the west Hwy 380 to the north and Custer Rd. to the east up to Celina's city limits to the north.

Right now, the new residential development at Prosper Trail and west of the Dallas North Tollway has Grand Opening prices homes with 55' lots starting at $374K, 1,800 s.f. to 2450 s.f. and homes with 65' lots starting at $427K, 2430 s.f. to 3000 s.f. These prices were increased $5K last week, so keep talking and you will definitely be paying more!

Remember, two major hurricanes have hit Texas, Florida and some Caribbean islands were totally destroyed, materials will certainly go up in price and labor will be hard to find and wages will for certain increase dramatically! Trump also imposed a tariff on Canadian lumber and basically has stopped undocumented immigrant construction labor from Mexico - brilliant!

Be smart and look hard this weekend, buy intelligently, these price ranges will soon disappear, buying a new home is like trying to time the stock market! Best advice is don't buy a home for an investment, buy yourself and your family a nice new home to enjoy and live in. Location, location and schools win out!"

We live in Windsong Ranch moved to Prosper, TX. after having lived in Frisco, TX. for 11 years. We have lived in Prosper for 5+ years. I will repeat what my considerations are in buying a new home in NTX, it is not for investment purposes. Find a home you and your family can enjoy for years, next location, location and good schools. The rest will take care of itself. We live in a 3500 s.f. home on a corner lot overlooking a one acre green space and because we did not wait for prices to drop like many people did at the time, we paid $477K!

Good Luck & Happy House Hunting!
Appreciate it! Agree with a lot of what you said. Looking forward to moving to Prosper.

Old 02-17-2021, 09:11 PM

210 posts, read 275,884 times
Great! WELCOME, Tigertan 888 to the Prosper Hood! Bring your snowshoes, you may need them! Don't forget to buy a plastic "P" and stick it on your back window! All the schools sell'em! LOL!

Old 02-18-2021, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiber Guy View Post
Great! WELCOME, Tigertan 888 to the Prosper Hood! Bring your snowshoes, you may need them! Don't forget to buy a plastic "P" and stick it on your back window! All the schools sell'em! LOL!
LOL, my realtor gave me one of those stickers! Can't wait to be out there... but i'll wait for the snow to subside.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas