U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2021, 04:58 PM

7 posts, read 1,396 times

Advertisements

Hi All, I might be just a little bit ahead of myself but I was offered an opportunity to relocate to the US - Dallas. Our organisation is building a centre of excellence and regional HQ in Lancaster - expected to be completed in around 14 months and I was offered to come over to help with establishing it, launching new services and so on. My son will be finishing his secondary school in May 2022 so we are thinking of moving late spring/early summer 2022. I will have a job and my wife is looking for one too. We are also hoping for a soccer scholarship for our son to help with the college cost and have an indication that might be achievable. We live comfortably here in Ireland but are not rich by any means and I am slightly cautious about the move. I will be 47 after all and my wife 46. I have a good job but the field I am in does not pay a lot and from my research I am getting a combined income (if we find a job for my wife) in around 70 - 75 000 (not sure what salary I would be offered just basing it on what I have here) a year. If our son is offered the scholarship we should be covered for some 2 or so years of his college. I am looking into some housing and focusing on apartment living for at least the first year until we settle in and decide what next. That seems quite OK but as I have no experience at all I was just wondering how safe is that type of housing, what can I expect and so on. I was researching the areas of Lancaster, DeSoto, Duncanville, Cedar Hill or Red Oak - they all sound pleasant. I would be very grateful for any input. I guess I am more looking for some confirmation that our intention makes sense. We are excited and have made relocation make work in the past but don't want to find out that this was just a step too far too late. I appreciate any comments. Many thanks, guys. Viliam
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2021, 05:27 PM

3,870 posts, read 1,774,160 times
Oh yes, Dallas is one of Houston's biggest suburbs.

Old 02-10-2021, 05:31 PM

69,056 posts, read 5,459,744 times
If son doesn't get a scholarship, college will be expensive. He may be charged out of state rates until he has some residency behind him, to allow him to pay the cheaper resident rates. Why can't he go to college in Ireland?

Find out what salary they would offer you, don't guess. Also see if your wife would be able to get a working visa or not.

Old 02-10-2021, 05:43 PM

thanks, of course he can go to college in Ireland but he would want to come with us too hence we engaged with scouts regarding the scholarship. L1 visas I would be coming for do allow spouses to work legally in the US so work she could, just need to find a job. viliam

Old 02-10-2021, 05:45 PM

and yes, ParaguaneroSwag - I might have posted in a wrong section - wanted to correct that straight away after realising the mistake but could not so I guess I am stuck in Houston :-)

Old 02-10-2021, 06:39 PM

1,216 posts, read 1,631,737 times
The Woodlands offers the best commute to Dallas from our humble city.

Old 02-10-2021, 10:45 PM

3,703 posts, read 7,210,943 times
Actually some people on here may be able to answer about DFW so don't worry. Also you can probably still get help on this Houston forum on income and college questions as some of your questions are general enough that they kinda apply to both cities.

Plus there is a bullet train in the works between the 2 cities. So if you are here long enough you may be able to commute to Houston if you want!

Welcome to Tx!

Old 02-11-2021, 02:29 AM

1,596 posts, read 3,615,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by viliam View Post
Hi All, I might be just a little bit ahead of myself but I was offered an opportunity to relocate to the US - Dallas. Our organisation is building a centre of excellence and regional HQ in Lancaster - expected to be completed in around 14 months and I was offered to come over to help with establishing it, launching new services and so on. My son will be finishing his secondary school in May 2022 so we are thinking of moving late spring/early summer 2022. I will have a job and my wife is looking for one too. We are also hoping for a soccer scholarship for our son to help with the college cost and have an indication that might be achievable. We live comfortably here in Ireland but are not rich by any means and I am slightly cautious about the move. I will be 47 after all and my wife 46. I have a good job but the field I am in does not pay a lot and from my research I am getting a combined income (if we find a job for my wife) in around 70 - 75 000 (not sure what salary I would be offered just basing it on what I have here) a year. If our son is offered the scholarship we should be covered for some 2 or so years of his college. I am looking into some housing and focusing on apartment living for at least the first year until we settle in and decide what next. That seems quite OK but as I have no experience at all I was just wondering how safe is that type of housing, what can I expect and so on. I was researching the areas of Lancaster, DeSoto, Duncanville, Cedar Hill or Red Oak - they all sound pleasant. I would be very grateful for any input. I guess I am more looking for some confirmation that our intention makes sense. We are excited and have made relocation make work in the past but don't want to find out that this was just a step too far too late. I appreciate any comments. Many thanks, guys. Viliam
Hello Viliam. I'm a 14-year resident of Lancaster, so I'll try to help. By any chance are you affiliated with DSV? I know that company recently started work on a large project here. The suburbs south of Dallas aren't as popular as the suburbs north of Dallas, but you can have a good quality of life in any of the communities you listed. There are nice, safe neighborhoods in all of them and the area as a whole is seeing increased growth, investment and development.

I agree that renting first is a probably the best option since you aren't familiar with the area. There are many apartment complexes in the southern suburbs and they can vary quite a bit in terms of quality and desirability. Depending on your budget, rental homes in some of the nicer neighborhoods might be something to consider as well.

Overall, home prices in the southern suburbs of Dallas tend to be lower and more affordable than in other parts of the metro area, but all areas are experiencing increased housing costs and there's no indication that this will be changing anytime soon.

I hope this helps and if you have more questions, I'll do my best to assist.

Take care!

Last edited by Acntx; 02-11-2021 at 03:01 AM..

Old 02-11-2021, 07:29 AM

16,964 posts, read 2,227,614 times
You are counting on your wife to get a job to have a combined income of 70-75k?

Old 02-11-2021, 09:12 AM

9,962 posts, read 4,890,111 times
Houston and the Woodlands have nothing to do with Lancaster and I'm not sure how they got in here.

It's 245 miles from Dallas to Houston.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas