Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2021, 09:19 AM

13 posts, read 15,048 times

Advertisements

With WFH looking to be 99% of my career going forward, we’d like to move out of the city and on to 10-20 acres. Preferably with 1.5 hours of the metroplex in the event of an on-site meeting. So far I’ve only come across Van Alstyne that meets our criteria, but we’re just in the planning phase and would like to see if anyone had any areas to look at.

1. 10-20 acres (200-400K). We will be building a custom home on the land
2. Higher rated school district
3. Within 1.5 hours of the metroplex

Appreciate it!

Last edited by Dr. Backpack; 03-07-2021 at 09:50 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2021, 09:36 AM

40,952 posts, read 49,183,047 times
A good half acre lot in a High Performing ISD can cost you that amount of money.

All depends on what you call a good school district.

Old 03-07-2021, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
A good half acre lot in a High Performing ISD can cost you that amount of money.

All depends on what you call a good school district.
Rakin, I don’t want a half acre lot. I understand you’ll probably push HPISD, Southlake etc. We don’t want to live in the city and want land. I’m not looking for my kids to go to an ivy, hell they may not even step foot on a college campus, but a good enough school district where the top 10% of their class can get into most well know state universities and some privates if they’d apply.

Old 03-07-2021, 10:22 AM

3,835 posts, read 4,441,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Backpack View Post
Rakin, I don’t want a half acre lot. I understand you’ll probably push HPISD, Southlake etc. We don’t want to live in the city and want land. I’m not looking for my kids to go to an ivy, hell they may not even step foot on a college campus, but a good enough school district where the top 10% of their class can get into most well know state universities and some privates if they’d apply.
What he's trying to tell you is that your budget is too low for what you're asking for.

Old 03-07-2021, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biafra4life View Post
What he's trying to tell you is that your budget is too low for what you're asking for.
Strange, I’m finding properties in Van Alstyne within my budget. So if I didn’t have a budget, where would you suggest 10-20 acres?

What it sounds like they’re/you’re trying to say is there a not good school districts in rural areas surrounding DFW.

Last edited by Dr. Backpack; 03-07-2021 at 10:37 AM..

Old 03-07-2021, 10:36 AM

8,302 posts, read 5,702,626 times
Quote:
Strange, I’m finding properties in Van Alstyne within my budget. So if I didn’t have a budget, where would you suggest 10-20 acres?
If you found something, that's great.

If I were in your shoes, I would snatch it up ASAP because that type of acreage for your budget in a good school district within 1.5 hours of DFW is in very limited quantity and in very high demand.

Old 03-07-2021, 10:38 AM

3,835 posts, read 4,441,302 times
Quote:
Well if you found them in Val Alstyne, do as citi said and grab one. That's a VERY good deal. I dont know enough about Van Alstyne as to whether the schools are any good. I've never heard anyone say anything about it good or bad. And I think you hit the nail on the head. I cant think of any rural areas with those low prices and good schools within 1.5 hours of the metroplex so yeah if you found one go for it.

I was going to say you might have to look out in East Texas somewhere, around Tyler perhaps. It's a bit further than 1.5 hours away, and I cant vouch for the schools either, but I'm guessing price wise it might work. You should probably get a realtor to help you with this.

Old 03-07-2021, 10:43 AM

313 posts, read 368,084 times
How about Lindale? It's 80 minutes from Dallas. I'm not sure how much 10+ acres would cost but you might find something on the outskirts north of town zoned for the ISD that works.

https://schools.texastribune.org/dis...e-high-school/

It gets an A accountability rating in Texas and 95% graduate in four years. Average ACT score of 23.2 which is much higher than the statewide average of 20.6. 24% of students take an AP test and 65% of those get a passing score or higher. Should be fairly rigorous and does better than expected with 44% economically disadvantaged.

Read more: 10-20 Acres, 200-400K for the land, good schools

Old 03-07-2021, 10:52 AM

5,455 posts, read 3,384,993 times
Look at farmland away from town on rural dirt road. You are dreaming if you think you can get 12 acres of residential land for 200-400K. You might have to rehab land into a proper building lot and run in municipal water or dig your own well. Run in electricity or use solar power. Go without cable TV or use satellite. I am not sure of how to obtain wi-fi or cell phone service. Check how close the repeater tower is.

Old 03-07-2021, 10:53 AM

Let’s phrase this another way. What are the best rural school districts in north Texas. Maybe that will make it easier to answer!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas