Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2021, 11:21 PM

42 posts, read 78,520 times

Advertisements

My kid got waitlisted for Dallas tag 9th grade admission as out of district student. Does anyone know, if we now move to the ISD, would we be considered in-district and get a seat? We are in the process of moving from another state and looking for houses in Dallas ISD area? Anyone had similar experiences?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2021, 06:04 AM

245 posts, read 245,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsoul View Post
My kid got waitlisted for Dallas tag 9th grade admission as out of district student. Does anyone know, if we now move to the ISD, would we be considered in-district and get a seat? We are in the process of moving from another state and looking for houses in Dallas ISD area? Anyone had similar experiences?
You won't automatically get a seat if you move in district, but there were enough in district applicants that you weren't considered.

If you move to a neighborhood without many applicants during the waitlist window you will have a better chance. 30% of seats go to the top scoring kids in the district regardless of where in the district they live. The next 70% are divided up by the 22 feeder patterns, adjusted for population size.

For the last few years no one from the Lincoln or Roosevelt feeder patterns have applied (or at least, have not applied with a minimum cutoff score) and very few students from the Madison and South Oak Cliff feeder pattern have applied. So if you move to one of those areas your application has a chance of moving off the waitlist.

Roosevelt: https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...3_M81012-44831

Madison: https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...6_M97392-98799

If you still don't get in you can apply to CityLab, they've never filled their seats. You'd probably also have a good shot at getting into one of the less selective Townview schools like Business.

Old 03-13-2021, 07:53 AM

Appreciate your reply! We definitely want to get in and don’t want to do any fraud (like providing false document etc.) however, we cannot move before July this year. So, when we applied we were considered out of district. I’m hoping that DISD does accommodate people in transferable jobs who can’t be in-district during the application process. So you suggesting that, moving now in those non-claimed feeder pattern (after the results are already out) would move us from waiting list to acceptance list? Thank you again for your time!

Old 03-13-2021, 08:09 AM

1,041 posts, read 1,172,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 75214Dad View Post
You won't automatically get a seat if you move in district, but there were enough in district applicants that you weren't considered.

If you move to a neighborhood without many applicants during the waitlist window you will have a better chance. 30% of seats go to the top scoring kids in the district regardless of where in the district they live. The next 70% are divided up by the 22 feeder patterns, adjusted for population size.

For the last few years no one from the Lincoln or Roosevelt feeder patterns have applied (or at least, have not applied with a minimum cutoff score) and very few students from the Madison and South Oak Cliff feeder pattern have applied. So if you move to one of those areas your application has a chance of moving off the waitlist.

Roosevelt: https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...3_M81012-44831

Madison: https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...6_M97392-98799

If you still don't get in you can apply to CityLab, they've never filled their seats. You'd probably also have a good shot at getting into one of the less selective Townview schools like Business.

One thing that is not clear to me is if the bolded part applies to the waitlist... because if so it's quite complex for the district to run it that way. Does apply to the main admission tranche.

Old 03-13-2021, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cordata View Post
One thing that is not clear to me is if the bolded part applies to the waitlist... because if so it's quite complex for the district to run it that way. Does apply to the main admission tranche.
So let's assume 0 kids from Roosevelt applied to TAG and they should have 3 slots for freshman from that neighborhood. When they go to the waitlist the district doesn't offer the slot to the next highest scoring kid- they offer the slot to the next highest scoring kid relative to where they are in line. Since no Roosevelt kids are in the school at all, that kid gets to be first in line.

You should probably call someone at the district to let them know you are indeed a new homestead homeowner in East Oak Cliff. It's cutthroat and you'll get called out for using a property you rent out to game the system.

Old 03-13-2021, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Appreciate your reply! We definitely want to get in and don’t want to do any fraud (like providing false document etc.) however, we cannot move before July this year. So, when we applied we were considered out of district. I’m hoping that DISD does accommodate people in transferable jobs who can’t be in-district during the application process. So you suggesting that, moving now in those non-claimed feeder pattern (after the results are already out) would move us from waiting list to acceptance list? Thank you again for your time!
If you are pretending to move from Collin County they wont accommodate you

Old 03-13-2021, 10:31 AM

Old 03-13-2021, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 75214Dad View Post
If you are pretending to move from Collin County they wont accommodate you
How did you think I’m “pretending” to move? We are seriously searching for homes in 75023 area. We couldn’t move earlier and if we had to game the system then, we would have given some altered electricity bill or lease document. In hindsight though, it feels like gaming would’ve worked in our favor to get accepted instead of getting waitlisted. And after getting acceptance we could’ve moved to the area.

Old 03-13-2021, 11:04 AM

13,194 posts, read 28,101,157 times
Quote:
How did you think I’m “pretending” to move? We are seriously searching for homes in 75023 area. We couldn’t move earlier and if we had to game the system then, we would have given some altered electricity bill or lease document. In hindsight though, it feels like gaming would’ve worked in our favor to get accepted instead of getting waitlisted. And after getting acceptance we could’ve moved to the area.
75023 is Plano ISD. . Not Dallas ISD.

You currently live in Murphy, or you did as of 2017 per your CD posting history. So if you are “seriously searching for homes” in 75023 (Plano ISD), why did you bother to apply to DISD TAG?

Color me skeptical about your “plans to move”, but as a Dallas ISD resident and taxpayer, people like you make me angry. I’m glad your kid didn’t get accepted because they have no business taking a spot from an actual, tax paying family who is deserving of the excellent TAG education.

Last edited by TurtleCreek80; 03-13-2021 at 11:13 AM..

Old 03-13-2021, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
75023 is Plano ISD. . Not Dallas ISD.

You currently live in Murphy, or you did as of 2017 per your CD posting history. So if you are “seriously searching for homes” in 75023 (Plano ISD), why did you bother to apply to DISD TAG?

Color me skeptical about your “plans to move”, but as a Dallas ISD resident and taxpayer, people like you make me angry. I’m glad your kid didn’t get accepted because they have no business taking a spot from an actual, tax paying family who is deserving of the excellent TAG education.
You are too stupidly ignorant and judgmental to understand anything. Keep your DISD emotions to yourself n ignore my postings please.

Btw zip code was a typo ..it’s 75230, Dallas. I realized that after posting however, I thought sensible people will understand that, it might be a typo and I didn’t correct, sorry about that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: