Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2021, 11:23 AM

6,345 posts, read 8,118,908 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
No need to be snarky. I'm just wondering why people are recommending places that are actually further away than Euless. The reason I mention Euless is because I know someone who owns a home there and really likes it and it's not too far from Las Colinas.

Someone recommended Saddle Brook apartments (which look really nice, by the way) but they are 15mi from the area where my SO will be working in Las Colinas. The Bear Creek area is only 10mi away, so won't Saddle Brook be a longer commute? Am I missing something?

I suppose since I'm posting on the Dallas forum, people are going to recommend places on the Dallas side and since Euless is in Tarrant, it's more closely linked up with Fort Worth.
The Dallas forum filled with posters, who live east of DFW airport. For Euless, you may want to post in the Ft Worth forum.
https://www.city-data.com/forum/fort-worth/

Euless would be a shorter commute than Far North Dallas. I do not live in that area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2021, 11:30 AM

8,983 posts, read 21,166,799 times
Quote:
This is a good example of what I mean. I'm looking for a 2br in the $1600-1700 range.

There are many in the $1300-1400 range, but they are sketchy looking and have terrible reviews about bed bugs, roaches, and crime. There are also a bunch that are over $2000/mo. I haven't found many in my price range.

It's a shame that DFW doesn't have many small, non-corporate landlords. Rent is usually cheaper and there are no gimmicky amenities and fees that cost $100/mo.
Ah, you didn't mention in this thread that you were in a 2BR. Going to the same website, there are still a number of quality 2BR apts available. They're virtually all corporate so if that doesn't appeal then your options may indeed be limited.

Old 06-16-2021, 11:57 AM

625 posts, read 667,651 times
You should post this on the Ft Worth forum if you are focused on Euless. Honestly, I just know very little about it. Its has kind of a bland reputation as a family area. Not saying thats bad..just not somewhere most childless couples might live in an apartment in. I've always heard of it as HEB - Hurst, Euless, and Bedford and folks have told me they are pretty interchangeable.

Its pretty far away from Dallas central so you will have more knowledgeable input on the Ft Worth forum.

Old 06-16-2021, 12:09 PM

2,414 posts, read 3,486,572 times
I don’t know why people are suggesting to post in the Fort Worth Forum. The exact same posters that post in the Dallas forum post in the Fort Worth forum. It’s not like you’ll get any kind of different insights That forum gets way less traffic, it currently hasn’t had a single post in 2 days.

OP I think your heart is set on Euless. I hope you like it better than Arlington. Yes Euless is probably a step up but it’s not going to be a big difference. A lot of the apartments in Bear Creek are aging. That area started developing 40 years ago and in general apartments don’t age well in DFW, and that area is apartment city. I haven’t been over there in a long time and haven’t known anyone who’s lived there since the early 2000’s. Personally I don’t think there’s really much of a difference between Las Colinas and Euless, they’re both kinda blah, but at least in Las Colinas your SO would have a short commute.

Old 06-16-2021, 01:13 PM

6,160 posts, read 5,711,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieinDallas View Post
I don’t know why people are suggesting to post in the Fort Worth Forum. The exact same posters that post in the Dallas forum post in the Fort Worth forum. It’s not like you’ll get any kind of different insights That forum gets way less traffic, it currently hasn’t had a single post in 2 days.

OP I think your heart is set on Euless. I hope you like it better than Arlington. Yes Euless is probably a step up but it’s not going to be a big difference. A lot of the apartments in Bear Creek are aging. That area started developing 40 years ago and in general apartments don’t age well in DFW, and that area is apartment city. I haven’t been over there in a long time and haven’t known anyone who’s lived there since the early 2000’s. Personally I don’t think there’s really much of a difference between Las Colinas and Euless, they’re both kinda blah, but at least in Las Colinas your SO would have a short commute.
That's another reason I posted here. The FW forum isn't very busy at all.

We are going to take a second look at Las Colinas. Our original thoughts were:

- The waterways and canals and little ponds/lakes are nice perk
- Public transit access means going to Dallas for a few hours on the weekend doesn't have to involve driving.
- The area felt too commercial in some areas. Tons of corporate offices and across the street were apartments and shopping centers.
- The area kind of felt like it wasn't sure what it wanted to be. Does it want to be mostly corporate offices or does it want to be mostly residential? It felt like a Research Triangle Park (in Raleigh) area mixed in with a suburb mixed in with a live & shop area for younger people.
- Lots of golf courses and country clubs. Does this mean it will attract that type of person?
- Many older apartments as well. Many bad reviews about bugs, break-ins, bad management, and photos of water damage, broken ACs, etc.

Our immediate thoughts about Euless was that it felt very residential around Bear Creek. There isn't much in terms of amenities around there, but that's kind of what we are looking for. More shopping means more traffic and more noise. I don't mind driving 5min down the road to get to a grocery store.

It does seem like apartments in Bear Creek are aging. I checked out Reagan, the Franciscan, and a few others. Some were obviously from the 90s and others felt like they were from the early 2000s. Some had almost no renovations while others were fully renovated but still had outdated floor plans. We did manage to find one place that has been fully renovated and has a townhouse feel (like someone else here mentioned). We are going to sleep on it a few nights before locking in on something.

My main complaint with Arlington was how spread out everything was and how much traffic there was in the city itself. Euless and Las Colinas are much smaller and getting around there was a breeze. For more upscale shops, Grapevine is just a 15min drive from Euless.

Another area we looked at was the Centreport area of Fort Worth (it's crazy that this is still FW, considering how far it is from downtown). Having the train there is kind of cool, but I would worry about mobs of traffic due to the train station. Only a 15-20min commute from Las Colinas. Can anyone here comment on this area?

Old 06-16-2021, 01:34 PM

Quote:
That's another reason I posted here. The FW forum isn't very busy at all.

We are going to take a second look at Las Colinas. Our original thoughts were:

- The waterways and canals and little ponds/lakes are nice perk
- Public transit access means going to Dallas for a few hours on the weekend doesn't have to involve driving.
- The area felt too commercial in some areas. Tons of corporate offices and across the street were apartments and shopping centers.
- The area kind of felt like it wasn't sure what it wanted to be. Does it want to be mostly corporate offices or does it want to be mostly residential? It felt like a Research Triangle Park (in Raleigh) area mixed in with a suburb mixed in with a live & shop area for younger people.
- Lots of golf courses and country clubs. Does this mean it will attract that type of person?
- Many older apartments as well. Many bad reviews about bugs, break-ins, bad management, and photos of water damage, broken ACs, etc.

Our immediate thoughts about Euless was that it felt very residential around Bear Creek. There isn't much in terms of amenities around there, but that's kind of what we are looking for. More shopping means more traffic and more noise. I don't mind driving 5min down the road to get to a grocery store.

It does seem like apartments in Bear Creek are aging. I checked out Reagan, the Franciscan, and a few others. Some were obviously from the 90s and others felt like they were from the early 2000s. Some had almost no renovations while others were fully renovated but still had outdated floor plans. We did manage to find one place that has been fully renovated and has a townhouse feel (like someone else here mentioned). We are going to sleep on it a few nights before locking in on something.

My main complaint with Arlington was how spread out everything was and how much traffic there was in the city itself. Euless and Las Colinas are much smaller and getting around there was a breeze. For more upscale shops, Grapevine is just a 15min drive from Euless.

Another area we looked at was the Centreport area of Fort Worth (it's crazy that this is still FW, considering how far it is from downtown). Having the train there is kind of cool, but I would worry about mobs of traffic due to the train station. Only a 15-20min commute from Las Colinas. Can anyone here comment on this area?

I don’t like Centerport, Las Colinas, or Euless, so my opinion probably won’t help. I use to do marketing for apartments a long time ago so I had to visit a lot of the communities, and not a fan of the big garden style complexes over there. Same kinda people living in all of them, same issues in all of them, it didn’t really matter if management was good or not. Im not a fan of kids or families in apartments, so when lived in an apartment I would always specifically seek out apartments with no children. Luckily, I got a job in Dallas proper and was able to live around Oak Lawn most of the time while I was a renter.

I gave my recommendation already.

Old 06-16-2021, 01:36 PM

11,853 posts, read 26,872,645 times
Centreport is OK, but the location is not ideal unless you specifically need to be near the TRE station, or working at the AA HQ.
There is no grocery store close by, and very little else besides fast food, so you'll be driving a long way for necessities. I drive through there frequently, and I have noticed that most of the apartments look very well-kept, and there are often people walking/jogging.

Yes, many of those Bear Creek apartments are pretty old. I've had a few friends live in that area over the years, and some complexes are much better than others.

Las Colinas has always been one of those Live/Work/Play areas. That's how it was initially designed. The golf/country club people keep to themselves and live in the huge homes that face the golf courses. I used to work there, and I did love how there was plenty of shopping and all sorts of restaurants. And yes, the DART Rail is convenient, too.

Old 06-16-2021, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristieP View Post
Centreport is OK, but the location is not ideal unless you specifically need to be near the TRE station, or working at the AA HQ.
There is no grocery store close by, and very little else besides fast food, so you'll be driving a long way for necessities. I drive through there frequently, and I have noticed that most of the apartments look very well-kept, and there are often people walking/jogging.

Yes, many of those Bear Creek apartments are pretty old. I've had a few friends live in that area over the years, and some complexes are much better than others.

Las Colinas has always been one of those Live/Work/Play areas. That's how it was initially designed. The golf/country club people keep to themselves and live in the huge homes that face the golf courses. I used to work there, and I did love how there was plenty of shopping and all sorts of restaurants. And yes, the DART Rail is convenient, too.
Las Colinas has always been weird. Very poor planning and probably one of the bigger disasters out of all the big planned areas. It’s taken decades to fill in and it’s really nothing like what it was envisioned to be. the only reason it’s getting filled in now is because there’s a huge demand for workforce housing and there’s a large workforce there due to all the sprawling corporate campuses.

They actually sold it as sort of a mini Dubai. It was supposed to have lots of high-rise buildings all around that “lake”. It was and still is bizarre. the urban planners and architects of that era had a bleak vision of the future and the area is left with odd infrastructure and a plan that never materialized. This isn’t China or Dubai, development doesn’t work like that here, it happens organically.

Last edited by RonnieinDallas; 06-16-2021 at 02:26 PM..

Old 06-16-2021, 02:33 PM

6,345 posts, read 8,118,908 times
Centrepoint is directly under the flight paths at DFW airport. Check it out on the National Transportation Noise Map. It's just below the 60-69.9 decibel hot pink zone. The orange zones are not bad, when you live in a house.

National Transportation Noise Map: https://maps.dot.gov/BTS/NationalTra...ationNoiseMap/
Live DFW Airport Noise Tracker (The numbers are decibels.): https://flighttracker.casper.aero/dfw/

I would worry about the quality of the windows and insulation for noise isolation. Apartments will use the cheapest quality.

Last edited by move4ward; 06-16-2021 at 02:48 PM..

Old 06-16-2021, 02:58 PM

6,160 posts, read 5,711,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by move4ward View Post
Centrepoint is directly under the flight paths at DFW airport. Check it out on the National Transportation Noise Map. It's just below the 60-69.9 decibel hot pink zone. The orange zones are not bad, when you live in a house.

National Transportation Noise Map: https://maps.dot.gov/BTS/NationalTra...ationNoiseMap/
Live DFW Airport Noise Tracker (The numbers are decibels.): https://flighttracker.casper.aero/dfw/

I would worry about the quality of the windows and insulation for noise isolation. Apartments will use the cheapest quality.
This is good information and something I didn't even think about. Does DFW have any curfews? I know in cities like London, flights are not allowed after 10pm or so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas