U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2007, 12:34 PM
JJG JJG started this thread

10,322 posts, read 9,872,677 times
Default Arlington

Would you concider Arlington to be a Fort Worth suburb or a Dallas suburb?
Arlington is in Tarrant county, Fort Worth is the county seat. Arlington should be called a Ft. Worth suburb. But some people (from Dallas, of course, and some from Arlington) consider it to be a Dallas suburb.
Here's an additional question.
Should people see Arlington as an independant city? Hey, it's big enough.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2007, 06:38 PM

2,703 posts, read 238,372 times
Arlington is to big to be a suburb. About 365,000 people live in this city.

Old 01-08-2007, 07:39 PM

2,640 posts, read 214,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
Arlington is in Tarrant county, Fort Worth is the county seat. Arlington should be called a Ft. Worth suburb. But some people (from Dallas, of course, and some from Arlington) consider it to be a Dallas suburb.
Here's an additional question.
Should people see Arlington as an independant city? Hey, it's big enough.
For what it's worth, here is an opinion from someone who has lived in Arlington for over 30 years. It makes a lot of sense to me.

"Even though it was once known as a suburb of Fort Worth, Arlington has grown in recent decades to rival the former in land area and population 350,000 + people versus Fort Worth's 400,000). The average level of education and income for the inhabitants is higher than that of Dallas and Fort Worth and since it has grown to its big city status only in the last 25 years, there are virtually no slums or inner city areas. It's school system is deemed of higher quality than its bigger neighbors and housing is of better value than anywhere else in Texas."

Old 07-03-2007, 03:52 PM

1 posts, read 1,694 times
Being a Geographer.... I would consider Arlington to be a Fort Wirh suburb cuz Arlington is well with in the Tarrant county for which FW is the county seat( as mentioned earlier by kewgee) and also it shares its border with Fortworth but not Dallas.

Should people see Arlington as an independant city?
Arlington is a City by itself. Its the biggest among the Mid Cities. But my conviction would be not to call or consider it as an independent city until it has its own Public Transportation system.

Old 07-03-2007, 04:14 PM

62 posts, read 196,945 times
Quote:
Arlington is a City by itself. Its the biggest among the Mid Cities. But my conviction would be not to call or consider it as an independent city until it has its own Public Transportation system.
I saw a red trolley looking bus going down Cooper the other day, is that considered public transportation?

I guess we'll see what the new football stadium does to Arlington but I gotta admit, any city that is the home of the Cowboys sounds like it's own city to me.

Old 07-03-2007, 07:17 PM

458 posts, read 1,872,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subslug View Post

I guess we'll see what the new football stadium does to Arlington but I gotta admit, any city that is the home of the Cowboys sounds like it's own city to me.
Irving is a suburb though IMO. I feel like Arlington is more of a suburb but could also be considered its own city. If the area continues to grow, they should call it the Triplet Cities, like Minneapolis-St. Paul's Twin Cities

Ok maybe that would sound silly, but it's a thought

Old 07-04-2007, 12:29 PM

359 posts, read 1,282,588 times
As a former Arlington mayor (Richard Greene, I think) once said, "We're nobody's damn suburb."

Arlington is more aligned with Fort Worth than Dallas but, since it's in-between, convenient to both. It varies as to where you live in Arlington but, generally, you're 15 minutes from downtown Fort Worth and 30 minutes from downtown Dallas.

We've lived here for 15 years and are very happy. The residential areas, as a whole, aren't transient like they seem to be in some of the popular suburbs around DFW. There aren't large numbers of people transferring in and out. Our kids have gone to school with the same kids since kindergarten. - and our oldest is in high school. Because many of the people we know grew up here (we didn't), we know their parents, inlaws, etc. It's nice to attend school functions/sports events and sit with parents and grandparents - it makes our city of 350,000 seem like a small town.

Old 07-07-2007, 10:59 AM

1 posts, read 1,638 times
Arlington is more aligned with FORT WORTH, but convenient to both, and it's a very easy drive to one of the largest airports in the world, DFW.

As a lifelong resident of Arlington, I would tend to say that it is now not a suburb...too large and has too many of the "main attractions" to be a "suburb."

Literally, billions of bucks are being pumped into Arlington right now, with the Cowboys Stadium, the construction around the Ballpark, and the north Arlington redevelopment project that is gaining some steam in city hall...

Old 07-07-2007, 01:54 PM

6,586 posts, read 16,185,540 times
I don't consider Arlington a suburb. Too big.

Old 07-07-2007, 08:13 PM

2,703 posts, read 238,372 times
Arlington is just there. It is not really a city, I mean it doesn't even have public transportation. Doesn't have any mid-rises either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas