Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2022, 08:01 AM

7 posts, read 16,928 times

Advertisements

I don't necessarily want a religious school, but I realize that most private schools in Collin County are religious since the public schools are so strong.

We have some tours set up in the next few weeks, so hopefully that will help us narrow down to a couple of schools to apply to based on vibes and gut feelings. It is nice to know that we have PISD as a great backup if we don't like the feeling of any of the schools. We are more liberal/progressive, so it will be interesting to see how well we gel with religious schools here. Thank you all for your advice - it really helped dispel some of my anxiety!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2022, 02:23 PM

5,248 posts, read 6,332,247 times
Quote:
Personally, I’d stick public unless there an IEP or something else driving the decision. My 3rd grader has 21 students in his class.

Me too. You can also look into Huffman World School at Huffman Elementary, I think class sizes there are pretty small. My 3rd grader only had 18 in her class first half of the year, but some more moved in after Christmas, bumping it to 21, and there are only 3 total classes, so about 65 or so in the class total. Middle school and high school is where the numbers start to grow. The elementary schools in Plano are numerous and not that large.

Old 02-17-2022, 06:13 PM

554 posts, read 669,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
It’s interesting as a parent going through PK admissions this year, we went to visit Parish totally blind because none of our friends have kids there. I expected it to be more like ESD and was pleasantly surprised that it feels more like a Greenhill. GH was the “stepchild” school for decades but they kept doing their own thing and really carved a niche that was missing and needed in Dallas. We got a lot of those same vibes from what Parish has done in the last decade.
I definitely think Parish has gone more of the Greenhill route over the past decade and is often stereotyped as an alternative for families that didn't get into Greenhill. In that way, Parish's reputation is a bit like how GH's used to be a few decades ago. Like DFWGuy422 referenced, the only families I know that have been less than impressed with Parish are on the more conservative side. It's interesting that their reputation hasn't become more well known as a progressive school - I'm guessing that's owing to the olden days of "Parish Day School" before they really developed the upper grades. Parish definitely mirrors GH in a number of ways, though frankly, they have implemented a number of innovative and forward-thinking things that I wish GH would adopt. From what I hear, the parent population at Parish is a little more politically mixed, though GH isn't the "everyone is politically left" school that many people on this board would have you believe...

Old 02-18-2022, 07:57 AM

618 posts, read 642,611 times
As you consider Dallas-based schools (even North Dallas) for your Plano family, understand that your children's friends, sport leagues, activities - will all revolve in North Dallas. Thats not to say there are non-Dallas families in these schools, but they will be the exception. I have a Lakewood family friend at Parrish and even they say they spend all their time in the car driving to activities/friends in Preston Hollow area.

Old 02-18-2022, 06:24 PM

311 posts, read 361,187 times
Parish students and families seem wealthier and more aspirational than JPII and Bishop Lynch. Of course, Parish also costs quite a bit more.

Old 02-26-2022, 07:58 AM

6 posts, read 6,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momginger View Post
Does PISD have the option to go to a different middle school than what you are zoned for?
PISD does offer option to apply for any school that is not currently zoned to you. They wont cover any transportation costs but that should not be a deal breaker at all. My colleague’s son attends Jasper but daughter decided to go to Plano Senior due to personal preference. Also I know parents who switched schools at elementary levels due to personal reasons.

Old 02-26-2022, 12:03 PM

1,428 posts, read 1,741,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taub201 View Post
Parish students and families seem wealthier and more aspirational than JPII and Bishop Lynch. Of course, Parish also costs quite a bit more.
Based on how many people on this forum are only willing to apply to St Marks, Hockaday, and Greenhill, I would've thought those places were the ones filled with "aspirational" families (although for the record I don't like that term). The Parish families I know are well educated, mostly well off (as with any private school), and just want a very solid education and social environment for their children. And that's what Parish provides for them.

Old 02-26-2022, 01:18 PM

1,041 posts, read 1,171,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by numbersguy100 View Post
Based on how many people on this forum are only willing to apply to St Marks, Hockaday, and Greenhill, I would've thought those places were the ones filled with "aspirational" families (although for the record I don't like that term). The Parish families I know are well educated, mostly well off (as with any private school), and just want a very solid education and social environment for their children. And that's what Parish provides for them.

I guess I'm curious what "aspirational" means.. is it someone with a lot of money who wants to move themselves and their kids up the social ladder? By going to fancy schools, joining country clubs etc, or is it someone who aspires to make more out of their lives? (Which would include moving up at work and wanting kids to have the best education,etc)

Old 02-26-2022, 06:21 PM

537 posts, read 436,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ntxabode View Post
PISD does offer option to apply for any school that is not currently zoned to you. They wont cover any transportation costs but that should not be a deal breaker at all. My colleague’s son attends Jasper but daughter decided to go to Plano Senior due to personal preference. Also I know parents who switched schools at elementary levels due to personal reasons.
Jasper is 9-10 grades. Plano Senior is 11-12 grades. Jasper feeds into Plano West. Maybe your colleague's daughter opted for Plano Senior instead of Plano West. All of the Plano high schools are good, but they are a little different from each other. Plano Senior could be more laid back than Plano West, but that is not saying much.

Old 04-14-2022, 01:55 PM

81 posts, read 142,009 times
Hijacking this post since I didn't want to create one about the same subject.

The consensus I hear is that in the Dallas area, kids from top private schools will at least be 1 grade ahead of their public school equivalent.

How are the Plano private schools compared to Public public school from K-8? Are they also couple grade levels ahead?

If top Plano private school from K-8 is better, any schools that seem to perform better? I'm considering giving him the headstart from K-8 and then enrolling back into PISD in HS when he can actually pick classes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas