Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2022, 09:49 PM

2 posts, read 2,244 times

Advertisements

Hi, there. We are new to DFW area and are moving soon from the Denver area because we both have family here and we felt it was important for us to be closer to family. We are both in our late 20s, I'm half Latino, half White, my wife is Indian and we recently welcomed our first child. We put in offers to 2 homes that got accepted, one in Desoto (Briarwood Park near Belt Line/Cockrell Hill) and one in Garland (Springpark Neighborhood near Jupiter/Campbell). It is important for us to be close to ethnic stores/restaurants. We both would work in the Uptown area of Dallas so commute isn't an issue. Both homes are 2 stories in kept up neighborhoods with the one in Garland being (slightly) older. The home in Desoto is newer and bigger for the same price. We are on the fence because both homes look nice. What I am wondering is where would we best fit in, how are the school districts, how are the people, and the amount of stuff to do in the areas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2022, 06:38 AM

11,853 posts, read 26,858,186 times
Honestly you’ve chosen two suburbs with iffy schools that are a LONG way from both of your jobs. Since you’re unfamiliar with the area, I’d rent for a year to get to know it, and then try to buy once you know where you want to be.

Old 05-30-2022, 07:21 AM

4,510 posts, read 2,651,635 times
I can't speak to commuting to Oak Lawn from De Soto, but I used to live in Spring Park and from there to central Dallas was a total hell commute.

Old 05-30-2022, 07:33 AM

8,144 posts, read 8,338,067 times
As far as fitting in, both will work fine. If I were you, I would have chosen Irving.

Old 05-30-2022, 09:13 AM

3,834 posts, read 4,437,964 times
Neither one is ideal given your commutes, but out of the two I would say Garland easy. Garland ISD is stronger although not consistently across the district but the great thing is that it is unique in the dfw area because it offers the option to move your kid to a better school in the district if you don’t like the one you are zoned to. Most districts here don’t allow that.

Also I think the demographic makeup of Garland would better suit your family than Desoto although I don’t think it’s a deal breaker either way.

Work wise Desoto works best if you work in Downtown Dallas while Garland offers you a few more options as it’s a doable commute to North Dallas, Richardson, Addison and Plano.

Old 05-30-2022, 09:41 AM

6,800 posts, read 14,018,392 times
Of the two I would go with Garland for sure. Garland is going to be much more diverse than Desoto and they have school choice in Garland.

Old 05-30-2022, 01:44 PM

2 posts, read 2,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biafra4life View Post
Neither one is ideal given your commutes, but out of the two I would say Garland easy. Garland ISD is stronger although not consistently across the district but the great thing is that it is unique in the dfw area because it offers the option to move your kid to a better school in the district if you don’t like the one you are zoned to. Most districts here don’t allow that.

Also I think the demographic makeup of Garland would better suit your family than Desoto although I don’t think it’s a deal breaker either way.

Work wise Desoto works best if you work in Downtown Dallas while Garland offers you a few more options as it’s a doable commute to North Dallas, Richardson, Addison and Plano.
I believe the house in Garland is zoned to Richardson School District. Is it a better/worse district?

Old 05-30-2022, 01:51 PM

4,510 posts, read 2,651,635 times
Oh yeah, Richardson, especially that far east end of Richardson, is a much better school district than Garland.

If those were the only two choices I had, I'd go to Springpark a hundred times over De Soto even though the commute would be worse.

Maybe, however, you could drive over to a DART station on Central Expressway and take the train down to town? It would depend on how close your offices were to the train stations. And hopefully you could both ride together if the train wasn't feasible.

Old 05-30-2022, 02:53 PM

37 posts, read 38,091 times
Springpark is city of Garland but Richardson schools. Still a very nice neighborhood. Big Springs is a really good elementary school. I'd say Apollo Jr High and Berkner HS are ok.

De Soto is closer and has some nice areas but their public schools aren't that good. I'd go with Springpark.

Old 05-30-2022, 07:10 PM

1,079 posts, read 1,110,206 times
Another vote for the Garland location with RISD schools. Much better performing schools than DeSoto and generally a pretty nice area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: