U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-23-2008, 11:29 AM
 
37 posts, read 129,141 times
Reputation: 23
Default Muslim Moving to TEXAS! :)

Hello:
My husband, my son and I are planning to relocate from California to Texas, Metroplex area. I've fallen in love with the area and the prices on beautiful properties. We want to settle down and a buy a 4bd 2 bath house there max 200K.

I have one main concern! I have been hearing that Texas is not so diverse, although the people are friendly they are not use to diverse cultures. My husband and I are both in the late twenties, and we are Muslim. I've been born and raised here, have a college degree and the whole nine yards. Currently I have a good accounting job at a nice company, I do wear just the scarf on my head for religious purposes at work with the regular business casual attire.

I need yourHONEST opinion in answering three questions: (1) If I move there do you think I'll have a difficult time being hired because of the way I look (wearing the scarf & being different)? (2) Does anyone know any good hiring contacts for accounting jobs or what is the best way to go about searching for jobs? (3)What do you think my chances are (out of ten) of being successful in finding a job and meeting great peopel! Should I search for jobs and find one first or move there first

Please advise....

Thank you,
ZR
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-23-2008, 11:40 AM
 
1,130 posts, read 1,765,205 times
Reputation: 531
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZAHIDA View Post
Hello:
My husband, my son and I are planning to relocate from California to Texas, Metroplex area. I've fallen in love with the area and the prices on beautiful properties. We want to settle down and a buy a 4bd 2 bath house there max 200K.

I have one main concern! I have been hearing that Texas is not so diverse, although the people are friendly they are not use to diverse cultures. My husband and I are both in the late twenties, and we are Muslim. I've been born and raised here, have a college degree and the whole nine yards. Currently I have a good accounting job at a nice company, I do wear just the scarf on my head for religious purposes at work with the regular business casual attire.

I need your honest opinion. (1) If I move there do you think I'll have a difficult time being hired because of the way I look (wearing the scarf & being different)? Which areas in the metroplex is more diverse and I have a better chance in? I am really looking into a nice, clean, safe area with good schools and low crime. I've looked into Fort Worth, Mansfield, Frisco and Arlington. (2) How is the job marketing for accountants? (3) What do you think my chances are (out of ten) of being successful in finding a job and meeting great peopel!

Please advise....

Thank you,
ZR
Dear ZR,
I have to tell you that at least here in GA you'd be okay. In the military town we live in there are many Muslims. I am a Christian. My children went to a Christian school with several Muslim children. I've met and spoken and hugged several of the moms like you. Even loved sampling the delicious Humus (sp?) dip brought to one of the school parties.

Texas might be a little tougher. Smile!! That will help. Jesus taught us to look at the heart, not the attire (or at least that is what we as Christians are expected to do!!) You'd love your children even if they were born with hair all over their bodies-right? Let people fall in love with you, not your choice/belief. You! You are a beautiful creation of God Almighty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-23-2008, 12:14 PM
 
449 posts, read 1,095,421 times
Reputation: 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by jadybug View Post
Dear ZR,
I have to tell you that at least here in GA you'd be okay. In the military town we live in there are many Muslims. I am a Christian. My children went to a Christian school with several Muslim children. I've met and spoken and hugged several of the moms like you. Even loved sampling the delicious Humus (sp?) dip brought to one of the school parties.

Texas might be a little tougher. Smile!! That will help. Jesus taught us to look at the heart, not the attire (or at least that is what we as Christians are expected to do!!) You'd love your children even if they were born with hair all over their bodies-right? Let people fall in love with you, not your choice/belief. You! You are a beautiful creation of God Almighty.
jadybug, I'm trying to fathom where you get off saying Texas would be tougher.

Zahira,

I'm Indian and I'm familiar with a ton of muslims in this area just due to social circles. There's a large contingent of Ismailis and there is a huge Sunni population (I'm not sure about Shi'ite's, I don't know any in this area). There are also several halal stores and restaurants in this area.

As far as finding a job, all of my friend's families are pretty successful, but they're pretty liberal- most of them don't wear the hijabs, but they're also younger (18 - 25 age bracket). I don't have enough experience on whether or not you'll face job discrimination, but all of my friends have great jobs and they love living here.

As for location, if you're Ismaili, there's a huge Ismaili population in Carrollton. Most of the Sunni contingent live in Richardson.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-23-2008, 12:23 PM
 
Location: Garland Texas
1,538 posts, read 4,573,396 times
Reputation: 577
The Dallas area has a growing Muslim community. There is a mosque in Richardson, and several Muslim owned businesses and restaurants in the area. There is a Muslim private school, Brighter Horizons Academy in Garland. There is a Halal meat market in the Garland/Richardson area as well.

You will find all kinds of people in the Dallas area. We have large Asian, Hispanic, and Indian communities.

Feel free to dress however you choose. I've seen Muslim women showing nothing but their eyes, and others with no headscarf and western clothes. The vast majority wear the scarf with western clothes, or the scarf with more traditional attire. I see women on a daily basis with head scarfs on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-23-2008, 02:05 PM
 
Location: Plano, TX
2,052 posts, read 3,380,313 times
Reputation: 1762
Default Re:

As others have posted, Richardson is the center of the Muslim community around here, although there are other pockets here, there, and everywhere. The community seems to be dominated by Indians and Pakistanis, although you will find other nationalities represented.

You could probably find the type of house you are looking for in your price range in Richardson, although it would be older and maybe in need of some updating. If you want new, you'll have to go further out, and will find less of a Muslim community.

Having said that, I live in Plano and have a half-dozen or more Muslim neighbors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-23-2008, 02:35 PM
 
1,130 posts, read 1,765,205 times
Reputation: 531
Quote:
Originally Posted by unexpected View Post
jadybug, I'm trying to fathom where you get off saying Texas would be tougher.

Zahira,

I'm Indian and I'm familiar with a ton of muslims in this area just due to social circles. There's a large contingent of Ismailis and there is a huge Sunni population (I'm not sure about Shi'ite's, I don't know any in this area). There are also several halal stores and restaurants in this area.

As far as finding a job, all of my friend's families are pretty successful, but they're pretty liberal- most of them don't wear the hijabs, but they're also younger (18 - 25 age bracket). I don't have enough experience on whether or not you'll face job discrimination, but all of my friends have great jobs and they love living here.

As for location, if you're Ismaili, there's a huge Ismaili population in Carrollton. Most of the Sunni contingent live in Richardson.
I did not wish to offend!! An opinion is all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-23-2008, 02:42 PM
 
Location: Dallas/Fort Worth, Texas
3,939 posts, read 8,931,616 times
Reputation: 2175
Zahida,
I don't think you would run into any problems here. Yes there is a great big number of muslims in the DFW and there are several Masjids. Several restaurants in the Richardson, Plano, Irving, Arlington areas serve only halal food.

It is very diverse and the majority of people are very friendly and non-judgemental.

Naima
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-23-2008, 02:56 PM
 
563 posts, read 2,489,222 times
Reputation: 285
You really have nothing to worry about! I've lived on the east coast and the midwest and we just moved down to carrollton last year. I'm assuming you are thinking of Dallas or a suburb of since you posted on the forum and not just any ol place in Texas. . .
Anyway, I don't know much about the muslim population in Richardson but do know that Carrollton has a massive Muslim population. Mostly from Pakistan I think. There is a Masjid on Old Denton rd South of George Bush Turnpike and another on Kelly rd. I know of two Halal meat markets and grocery stores. I shop there since you can find all things Indian and I'm from India. What I really like about our area is that people are very comfortable in ethnic clothing and don't get looked at twice for it. The costco's in Lewisville and Plano have plenty of people in sarees and salwars. It goes to show that people are comfortable in their own skin here. I also have a muslim friend in Frisco who has never felt uncomfortable for being a muslim in Texas. I think you will find the Metroplex to be a diverse and fairly accepting place. There are racist fools everywhere but this is generally an accepting area
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-23-2008, 03:11 PM
 
Location: Austin, TX
1,528 posts, read 4,117,133 times
Reputation: 588
Hello, Dallas has a pretty big Muslim community, one of my best friends is Muslim. She, like you, also wears the head scarf and if natively fluent in English. I've asked her some of these questions... here are her resoinses

(1) If I move there do you think I'll have a difficult time being hired because of the way I look (wearing the scarf & being different)?
Depending on your profession, possibly... I'm not going to lie... but its not going to be any different that what you had in California... that much I promise you...

(2) Does anyone know any good hiring contacts for accounting jobs or what is the best way to go about searching for jobs?
Yes, like I said, the Muslim community is pretty large. There several mosques scattered throughout the metro. The biggest I believe in Irving. You may want to attend mosque and ask many people for advice and hiring positions. You may want to consider interviewing in a Muslim owned business. Depending on what type of Muslim you are Shia or Sunni...Pakistani or Indian... you may find it very very helpful as DFW has a huge Bangladeshi, Indian, and Pakistani population.
(3)What do you think my chances are (out of ten) of being successful in finding a job and meeting great peopel! Should I search for jobs and find one first or move there first
10... It wont be too big of a hurdle...

If you are Indian, Pakistani, Bangladeshi or South Asian. You are very much in Luck. The Indians here (although many of them are Hindu... but also many are Muslim) are one of the most prosperous.
Arabs, Iranians, and Eastern Europeans are present too...
Mostly South Asian, Iranian, and Arabs though...
Some East Europeans, Some East Asians (IE: Malay, Chinese, Indonesian, Filipino)

But you won't find it too hard... I would tell you to move to Richardson or Irving... Both cities with significant Islamic Presence...
There are several Islamic schools too, but yeah...

I will not lie to you... People will stare at you like you will blow up a bomb... but that is not just Texas or here... it's everywhere... I don't mean to sound rude... but you should be used to it as I would be amazed if it didn't happen in California(liberal or Conservative... I've found they all think generally the same of Muslims... The liberals just claim not to...)...As the Muslim community grows the people should become more accepting not only here but in the country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-23-2008, 03:52 PM
 
2,182 posts, read 3,988,976 times
Reputation: 1318
Coming home a little while ago I came past the middle school that had just let out for the day, I saw a group of girls coming home and one was wearing a headscarf. And honestly the only reason I even took notice of it, was because I'd read this thread earlier. Otherwise it wouldn't have registered. It's a common enough sight in Murphy (SE Collin County) that I really don't think anyone looks twice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top