Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2022, 12:11 AM

213 posts, read 239,268 times

Advertisements

Hello, we’ve recently remodeled our house and it has increased in sq feet however the city still has the incorrect sq ft listed. How can I change that? I am not interested in saving in taxes due to incorrect sq feet. Also ever since our house has been built, city has 5 bathroom but in reality our’s is 5.5 bath. Does anyone know what is the correct process to update the information with the city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2022, 12:16 AM

61,631 posts, read 86,981,866 times
Perhaps call your appraisal district and ask?
You probably will need to show them updated documentation.

https://www.redfin.com/guides/wrong-square-footage

Old 06-11-2022, 06:54 AM

40,951 posts, read 49,150,612 times
I would not do that, it does nothing for you. When you go to sell you can have the house measured by an appraiser and use those numbers and drawings to verify your official footage. Most larger homes in the Tax Records are wrong and I usually recommend any seller get an Appraisers Official Measurement for about $150.

You may not care but all you are going to do is cause your Property taxes to be raised. Me personally, I would want the smaller footage and rooms in the records.

But if you like paying higher taxes, go for it. I'm sure the tax people will accommodate you.

There is ZERO reasons to update the tax records that benefit you.

Old 06-12-2022, 12:07 AM

1,447 posts, read 1,483,869 times
Why would you want to do that? What purpose would that serve?

Old 06-12-2022, 12:17 AM

61,631 posts, read 86,981,866 times
Personal pride? To show that the house is actually bigger than on the papers?
Other than that? I am puzzled too...

As a fact I KNOW that my house is much bigger than on the Tax Records, but I am not going to correct that.

Actually you asked that question in 2017, OP...
https://www.city-data.com/forum/dall...ence-sqft.html

Old 06-12-2022, 08:52 AM

278 posts, read 216,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
I would not do that, it does nothing for you. When you go to sell you can have the house measured by an appraiser and use those numbers and drawings to verify your official footage. Most larger homes in the Tax Records are wrong and I usually recommend any seller get an Appraisers Official Measurement for about $150.

You may not care but all you are going to do is cause your Property taxes to be raised. Me personally, I would want the smaller footage and rooms in the records.

But if you like paying higher taxes, go for it. I'm sure the tax people will accommodate you.

There is ZERO reasons to update the tax records that benefit you.
How about being an upstanding citizen/resident? Roads aren't going to pay for themselves.

Old 06-12-2022, 09:56 AM

1,041 posts, read 1,190,277 times
The issue here is whether the addition was permitted. If there was a proper permit done, the appraisal district has access to those and it's their job to update the information. They may eventually get around to it or they may not. So no worries if there was a permit,you did your job.

If there was not a permit you have a problem.

Old 06-12-2022, 11:58 AM

40,951 posts, read 49,150,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenro911 View Post
How about being an upstanding citizen/resident? Roads aren't going to pay for themselves.
So if you found out your home was 350 sqft below the tax records you would call and update them?

No one else would.

As if the tax people don't jack up your appraised value and taxes every chance they get even beyond real values.

Old 06-12-2022, 01:21 PM

5,827 posts, read 4,160,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cordata View Post
The issue here is whether the addition was permitted. If there was a proper permit done, the appraisal district has access to those and it's their job to update the information. They may eventually get around to it or they may not. So no worries if there was a permit,you did your job.

If there was not a permit you have a problem.
I was thinking the same. If it was properly permitted, it should be reflected in tax records. If they just missed it, but the permits were done, don't say anything.

Old 06-12-2022, 02:23 PM

213 posts, read 239,268 times
Nothing to do with personal pride or anything. People love to assume. I’ve lived in this house for many years. If ego and pride were involved, I would’ve done something long time ago.
I am only asking because houses sell at per sq ft price. How many bathrooms are there. So while it does nothing for me, will it effect my resale? Will a possible customer won’t consider because it’s a smaller house compared to neighbors. That’s the only reason I ask. People need to chill.

Remodeling was done by a large remodeling company through permits and all which is another reason I am wondering why nothing was updated in the city records.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: