Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-23-2008, 08:26 PM

454 posts, read 1,338,778 times

Advertisements

We're thinking of taking out our grass lawn and replacing it with something else. I've been searching and searching but can't find anything about a vegetation ordinance for Dallas. Height, weeds, that sort of thing. Anyone?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2008, 09:15 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,832,630 times
do you have an HOA
sometimes their covenants are more restrictive than the city's

Old 05-23-2008, 10:29 PM

3,820 posts, read 8,742,550 times
I just learned that the state limits municipalities to considering a tall grass/weeds to 10". Looks like Dallas is more lenient than that: Welcome to the City of Dallas, Texas - City Web Portal. If you roll over the part about high weeds a thing pops up about reporting weeds taller than 12"

Now shrubs and plants should be exempt from that. Although there's a guy here in Murphy that just can't seem to get them off his back each winter about a climber rose he's got.

Last edited by MurphyPl1; 05-23-2008 at 10:44 PM..

Old 05-23-2008, 10:43 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,832,630 times
didn't you get a house in the Lakewood or Lake Highland area?
you have an HOA don't you=== HOA can have stricter covenants than a city ordinance--what you consider a "natural landscape or xerascaping might be viewed as unsightly or unkempt and could get you taken to court

Old 05-23-2008, 10:45 PM

I think I know what part of Dallas they're in and I don't think they're dealing with an HOA on top of the city.

Old 05-24-2008, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MurphyPl1 View Post
I just learned that the state limits municipalities to considering a tall grass/weeds to 10". Looks like Dallas is more lenient than that: Welcome to the City of Dallas, Texas - City Web Portal. If you roll over the part about high weeds a thing pops up about reporting weeds taller than 12"

Now shrubs and plants should be exempt from that. Although there's a guy here in Murphy that just can't seem to get them off his back each winter about a climber rose he's got.
Thanks, C! I think wild flowers would be taller than that, so it looks like that idea is out. Ugh.

Old 05-24-2008, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
didn't you get a house in the Lakewood or Lake Highland area?
you have an HOA don't you=== HOA can have stricter covenants than a city ordinance--what you consider a "natural landscape or xerascaping might be viewed as unsightly or unkempt and could get you taken to court
No, we don't have an HOA. Isn't that weird? We're in Ridgewood Park which has an active neighborhood organization, but not an HOA, as such. And I am an idiot, because code enforcement guidelines are on their website. Ridgewood Park -- Dallas, Texas

Old 05-24-2008, 08:29 AM

I'd double check with the city. There's a fine line between wildflowers and weeds. It may be that if you leave a strip of turf and then a defined edge to the wildflower area, you can do that. It'll show that you're maintaining the yard and didn't just let it all go.

Do you know your neighbors yet? If you do, you might mention it to them or ask if someone else has done something similar. You'll get an idea of whether they'll be OK with it, or will be the ones calling 311 all the time.

ETA: We had a funky little 2' strip along the alley at our old house in Garland. We planted wildflowers along there and never had problems with the city. And those babies got pretty tall.

Old 05-24-2008, 08:39 AM

Quote:
I think I know what part of Dallas they're in and I don't think they're dealing with an HOA on top of the city.
You will have to come by!

Old 05-24-2008, 08:41 AM

Quote:
I'd double check with the city. There's a fine line between wildflowers and weeds. It may be that if you leave a strip of turf and then a defined edge to the wildflower area, you can do that. It'll show that you're maintaining the yard and didn't just let it all go.

Do you know your neighbors yet? If you do, you might mention it to them or ask if someone else has done something similar. You'll get an idea of whether they'll be OK with it, or will be the ones calling 311 all the time.

ETA: We had a funky little 2' strip along the alley at our old house in Garland. We planted wildflowers along there and never had problems with the city. And those babies got pretty tall.
I know our next door neighbors, but that's it. We're obviously too late for this year to do this, so I think I'll get involved in the neighborhood association and get a feel there. I was looking at the yard of the month and they have lots of taller flowers in their yard. Actually, we have lots of tall flowers, but they're in a bed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas