Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-13-2022, 07:13 PM

16 posts, read 12,890 times

Advertisements

Rental help: I'm planning a family relocation to the areas zoned to either Plano ISD or Irving ISD, and looking to rent until we get a feel for the area. There's more talk here about the housing market, but I'm sure many have been down the path of renting before buying, or rent for other reasons. I'm looking for an apartment or house that's 2-3br, clean is high on the list, plus covered parking and a pool. Hoping to stay under around 1800-2k/mo. Since there are so many locals and transplants here, I'd like any advice on: specific rental complexes or homes you know of that are good. Or good sources people can recommend out of the plethora of websites. Reviews are dizzying, so I appreciate firsthand experience. Feel free to pm if you prefer.

Irving ISD: I have searched the forum high and low and gather that most folks here are not huge fans, and it doesn't make the list of "top" districts. I've also heard second-hand that it's middle of the road and feels more urban (all else equal i prefer), but i don't know if there's truth to this. Anyone with firsthand experience? Is it a bad district, or just not a top one? I don't want bad schools for my kids, but I also don't need absolute top tier schools w/high pressure.

I know plano and irving are very different, i'm not sure what cities in the twin cities they'd be most like, so if there's anyone from MN who can liken them that'd be helpful before we head down there and visit.

Oh and a random question/comment, what's the deal with all of the apartments and even homes for sale with the refrigerators or washer/dryer taken out? It's the oddest thing ever! Is it a product of this crazy market or a norm in DFW? A few other oddities like no hood vent over many stoves, and so much wallpaper. The widespread presence of pools makes up for most of this, interesting nonetheless

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by dishdash11; 07-13-2022 at 07:22 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2022, 11:34 PM

1,447 posts, read 1,484,640 times
My guess is under $2000 for a 3bed/2bath house will be tough in those areas.
2bedroom apartment you can probably find and almost all the nicer apartments will have community pools.
In my experience very few homes with pools for rent. Most owners don't want the liability.
Fridge is about 50/50 on rentals. Some have it, some don't. Owners again typically don't like the liability of it breaking and then tenant wants compensation for ruined food and a replacement.
Washer/Dryer I only find in about 10% of rentals.
You can always buy off craigslist the fridge and washer/dryer.
Apartments will almost always have fridge and charge extra..maybe $40/month for washer/dryer if there are connections.
Homes for sale will probably be 50/50 on both fridge and washer/dryer. If it is newer, nicer, more expensive ones, like front load $1000 ones...owner takes it. If it is older single door or basic white top load appliances they could stay.

Old 07-14-2022, 04:54 PM

138 posts, read 216,457 times
If you do Irving ISD make sure you are in the MacArthur HS feeder pattern. Avoid anything that feeds Nimitz or Irving.

That said there are parts of far north Irving(Las Colinas, Valley Ranch, etc) that will feed Coppell or Carrollton-Farmers Branch. An Irving address that falls in Coppell ISD will probably fall out of your budget. An apartment zoned CFBISD is possible.

Old 07-14-2022, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrecked View Post
If you do Irving ISD make sure you are in the MacArthur HS feeder pattern. Avoid anything that feeds Nimitz or Irving.

That said there are parts of far north Irving(Las Colinas, Valley Ranch, etc) that will feed Coppell or Carrollton-Farmers Branch. An Irving address that falls in Coppell ISD will probably fall out of your budget. An apartment zoned CFBISD is possible.
Can you pls explain why you'd recommend avoiding schools that feed into Nimitz? I'm eager to hear more about why. With their needs and program offerings, that's precisely where my kids would be placed and stay if we landed within Irving ISD boundaries.

Old 07-15-2022, 12:06 PM

138 posts, read 216,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dishdash11 View Post
Can you pls explain why you'd recommend avoiding schools that feed into Nimitz? I'm eager to hear more about why. With their needs and program offerings, that's precisely where my kids would be placed and stay if we landed within Irving ISD boundaries.
Because the schools aren’t as good as the MacArthur feeder pattern.

In terms of Highschools. The only two good ones are MacArthur and Singley. Nimitz would be next and Irving last. But there’s a pretty big drop off between Mac and Singley and Nimitz.

Old 07-16-2022, 06:02 AM

771 posts, read 932,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamLynn View Post
My guess is under $2000 for a 3bed/2bath house will be tough in those areas.
2bedroom apartment you can probably find and almost all the nicer apartments will have community pools.
In my experience very few homes with pools for rent. Most owners don't want the liability.
Fridge is about 50/50 on rentals. Some have it, some don't. Owners again typically don't like the liability of it breaking and then tenant wants compensation for ruined food and a replacement.
Washer/Dryer I only find in about 10% of rentals.
You can always buy off craigslist the fridge and washer/dryer.
Apartments will almost always have fridge and charge extra..maybe $40/month for washer/dryer if there are connections.
Homes for sale will probably be 50/50 on both fridge and washer/dryer. If it is newer, nicer, more expensive ones, like front load $1000 ones...owner takes it. If it is older single door or basic white top load appliances they could stay.

Well said.

Not saying they are impossible to find, but expect to pay a premium if you're renting a home with a pool vs an apartment with a community pool, as TL is right, the liability to owners is much higher.

We have a couple rentals and we have a fridge in one of them. Neither rental has a washer/dryer, just connections. Dryers can be a fire hazard if people do not clean the lint traps and if they have to buy it themselves they can't blame the owner for providing a faulty machine.

Old 07-17-2022, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasCrown View Post
Well said.

Not saying they are impossible to find, but expect to pay a premium if you're renting a home with a pool vs an apartment with a community pool, as TL is right, the liability to owners is much higher.

We have a couple rentals and we have a fridge in one of them. Neither rental has a washer/dryer, just connections. Dryers can be a fire hazard if people do not clean the lint traps and if they have to buy it themselves they can't blame the owner for providing a faulty machine.

Interesting insights on house rentals, and why fridges & washer/dryers aren't always there. I think I am leaning towards an apartment then.

Any specific apartment blgs/management companies anyone can recommend, or additional thoughts on Irving ISD would be great. Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas