U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 08-15-2022, 06:13 AM
 
53 posts, read 31,132 times
Reputation: 20

Advertisements

Wife and I are finally ready to move to the area after years. Given some budgetary realities, our actual goals of FM, HV, etc are likely slimmer now than they were a couple years ago and we see more realistic possibilities popping up on the South Denton/Corinth areas more frequently---anywhere from around McNair Elementary east toward the freeway and even past it, into the Corinth/Lake Dallas side though we don't want LDISD.

I work from home and will continue to, and wife doesn't have to go into an office per se but she will have to drive around, once or twice a week into West Dallas (not necessarily at standard rush hour hours but not necessarily not). At least it would be a one freeway drive pretty much. Driving will stink for her but we've resigned ourselves to it because we want to live in the Denton County areas due to safety, cleanliness, laid back, family-oriented, lower taxes etc. Priorities are safety/location, schools for future kids and resale value down the line, areas that will hold value/quality/level regardless of any economic downturn, and just the friendliness and easygoing nature that is different from our respective hometowns.

What would say the "outlook" is in this area? We know Hickory Creek Rd has had some major construction projects happening. Are those almost done? How, if at all, has the area changed over the course of the last couple years of chaos? Any increase in dumb quality of life ruining garbage like stealing cat converters, break-ins, package thieves, people constantly setting off fireworks and being inconsiderate with music? In my current area, it's all of that and more serious offenses on the strong upswing unfortunately. In general, positive or negative developments? Schools improving or weakening? We know that McNair is not as nice as Hawk, for example. Is it maintaining its feel while still developing value? Do you guys who live around there feel more comfortable going north for Denton stuff or do you go south to Highland Village and FM to do your shopping, etc? We know the Dallas-side suburbs have built out way more significantly, but are these areas "done" and the next growth will be Sanger, Krum, Ponder, etc? How are the services in this area? Denton PD, the post office quality, fire department, etc?

We do enjoy the "truer" Corinth more than the "Dentinth" (as can best be described) areas to the west of it from our now-many visits and stays to the region.

Any insight helps!

Last edited by Dashakhs; 08-15-2022 at 06:30 AM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-15-2022, 12:10 PM
 
476 posts, read 311,317 times
Reputation: 606
I'm partial to locations providing short work commute and quick access to everything a metroplex has to offer but your mileage may vary. Its a personal preference. I may make an exception for a lakeside house there.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-15-2022, 12:51 PM
 
Location: Kaufman County, Texas
11,309 posts, read 24,789,215 times
Reputation: 9761
The savings on property taxes will quickly be overshadowed by the expense of gas/tolls from that longer commute. I would not want to have to use the I-35E bridge over Lake Lewisville on a daily basis.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-16-2022, 12:28 AM
 
1,319 posts, read 1,186,599 times
Reputation: 1595
Great area....traffic on the bridge can be a challenge, but not as much as it used to be before the reno and expansion. Depends on the hours you travel...most of the day is fine, but like any place can get busier at typical work hour commute.
All the negatives you mention can be anywhere in the Metroplex....and things do happen occasionally.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-16-2022, 03:31 AM
 
53 posts, read 31,132 times
Reputation: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamLynn View Post
Great area....traffic on the bridge can be a challenge, but not as much as it used to be before the reno and expansion. Depends on the hours you travel...most of the day is fine, but like any place can get busier at typical work hour commute.
All the negatives you mention can be anywhere in the Metroplex....and things do happen occasionally.
That's good to hear and certainly understood. Do you think that population-wise, the eccentricities and 18-35 populations of "actual Denton" population seep into this area or would you say they're more of an extension of areas south of it like FM, HV, Lantana? We are young and in that demographic, we just prefer family life more than anything.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-18-2022, 02:56 AM
 
17 posts, read 12,772 times
Reputation: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dashakhs View Post
Wife and I are finally ready to move to the area after years. Given some budgetary realities, our actual goals of FM, HV, etc are likely slimmer now than they were a couple years ago and we see more realistic possibilities popping up on the South Denton/Corinth areas more frequently---anywhere from around McNair Elementary east toward the freeway and even past it, into the Corinth/Lake Dallas side though we don't want LDISD.

I work from home and will continue to, and wife doesn't have to go into an office per se but she will have to drive around, once or twice a week into West Dallas (not necessarily at standard rush hour hours but not necessarily not). At least it would be a one freeway drive pretty much. Driving will stink for her but we've resigned ourselves to it because we want to live in the Denton County areas due to safety, cleanliness, laid back, family-oriented, lower taxes etc. Priorities are safety/location, schools for future kids and resale value down the line, areas that will hold value/quality/level regardless of any economic downturn, and just the friendliness and easygoing nature that is different from our respective hometowns.

What would say the "outlook" is in this area? We know Hickory Creek Rd has had some major construction projects happening. Are those almost done? How, if at all, has the area changed over the course of the last couple years of chaos? Any increase in dumb quality of life ruining garbage like stealing cat converters, break-ins, package thieves, people constantly setting off fireworks and being inconsiderate with music? In my current area, it's all of that and more serious offenses on the strong upswing unfortunately. In general, positive or negative developments? Schools improving or weakening? We know that McNair is not as nice as Hawk, for example. Is it maintaining its feel while still developing value? Do you guys who live around there feel more comfortable going north for Denton stuff or do you go south to Highland Village and FM to do your shopping, etc? We know the Dallas-side suburbs have built out way more significantly, but are these areas "done" and the next growth will be Sanger, Krum, Ponder, etc? How are the services in this area? Denton PD, the post office quality, fire department, etc?

We do enjoy the "truer" Corinth more than the "Dentinth" (as can best be described) areas to the west of it from our now-many visits and stays to the region.

Any insight helps!
As someone who grew up in this area I would personally recommend Shady Shores and the portion of Corinth north of Corinth Pkwy and South of W Shady Shores Rd. The homes aren't on top of each other and the neighbors are friendly. The zoned Denton ISD schools are great. Olive Stephens Elementary and Bettye Myers Middle are in your backyard and have plenty of parental involvement. Ryan High is a friendly and very diverse campus with great football and band programs. Never met a mean soul during my four years. The teachers are very caring as if they were your own parents. When the kids get older NCTC Corinth is also right nextdoor. I would personally steer away from the western area of Corinth zoned to Guyer HS. It's a bigger school and has had some issues for the past couple of years. Also don't feel pressured by other parents to send your kids to Lake Dallas schools. My parents always got the whole speel from Lake Dallas parents about how "ghetto" the Ryan feeder schools were. Another area I would recommend is Pecan Creek in Denton just north of Shady Shores.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-19-2022, 04:08 AM
 
53 posts, read 31,132 times
Reputation: 20
Thanks for the insights!!

Would you only shy away from the western area zoned to guyer because of that? Or for any other reasons?

Will keep an eye on the area between Corinth Parkway and Shady Shores though a quick look and it's a little too much for the budget.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-20-2022, 03:41 AM
 
17 posts, read 12,772 times
Reputation: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dashakhs View Post
Thanks for the insights!!

Would you only shy away from the western area zoned to guyer because of that? Or for any other reasons?

Will keep an eye on the area between Corinth Parkway and Shady Shores though a quick look and it's a little too much for the budget.
The Guyer feeder tends to be less diverse racially and socio-economically than the other areas of Denton ISD. I've known a good chunk of kids who've transferred to Ryan because of the rampant bullying and bigotry problems among the students. The campus also has a problem with kids acting snobby especially to individuals perceived to be of lower income. The Guyer student sections favorite activity was always to yell slurs at our team and band for football games. Not a good look. Academically it's very strong but the campus culture kills the rest of the experience.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-20-2022, 03:45 AM
 
17 posts, read 12,772 times
Reputation: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dashakhs View Post
Thanks for the insights!!

Would you only shy away from the western area zoned to guyer because of that? Or for any other reasons?

Will keep an eye on the area between Corinth Parkway and Shady Shores though a quick look and it's a little too much for the budget.
The west Corinth area is nice. But being zoned to Guyer is the dealbreaker
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2023, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top