Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2023, 11:49 AM

7 posts, read 11,719 times

Advertisements

We moved to Frisco and currently on our 2nd year lease, paying about $3000/month for a 2,800 house which is more room than we need. In general we like Frisco for its parks, amenities and general feel of the neighborhood and would not mind buying a home here, especially where we live which is in the middle of all the shops, restaurants, parks and highway.

We do not expect to have a child until the end of next year, but we're hoping the good school districts in Frisco will help with resale value. Commute is not an issue since we do not need to go into the office.

Our budget is $450K-$600K and ideally looking for a smaller "starter" home in the low 2,000 sq ft range with a nice small low maintenance outdoor area, 3-4 bedrooms. Plan to stay in Dallas for at least the next 5 years.

We were told competition is fierce in Frisco due to the excellent school district and competing against young parents with kids. I'm hoping that will help with resale value even if we do end up selling in 5 years.

Which other neighorhoods should we be looking into? We have no interest in entering bidding wars and our lease does not end until Christmas. We may also decide to postpone buying a home until 2024 if absolutely needed.

Some general impressions of areas we've visited:
-McKinney felt too quiet and has a stepford wives feel to us.
-Prosper looks completely new and lack of existing homes to purchase (mostly saw new construction listings that are yet to be completed)
- West Plano looks nice but lack of supply and houses are older
- West Allen looks good, especially in the areas near Sam Rayburn Tollway bordering Frisco.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2023, 04:22 PM

58 posts, read 58,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmonetropic View Post
We moved to Frisco and currently on our 2nd year lease, paying about $3000/month for a 2,800 house which is more room than we need. In general we like Frisco for its parks, amenities and general feel of the neighborhood and would not mind buying a home here, especially where we live which is in the middle of all the shops, restaurants, parks and highway.

We do not expect to have a child until the end of next year, but we're hoping the good school districts in Frisco will help with resale value. Commute is not an issue since we do not need to go into the office.

Our budget is $450K-$600K and ideally looking for a smaller "starter" home in the low 2,000 sq ft range with a nice small low maintenance outdoor area, 3-4 bedrooms. Plan to stay in Dallas for at least the next 5 years.

We were told competition is fierce in Frisco due to the excellent school district and competing against young parents with kids. I'm hoping that will help with resale value even if we do end up selling in 5 years.

Which other neighorhoods should we be looking into? We have no interest in entering bidding wars and our lease does not end until Christmas. We may also decide to postpone buying a home until 2024 if absolutely needed.

-Prosper looks completely new and lack of existing homes to purchase (mostly saw new construction listings that are yet to be completed)
- West Allen looks good, especially in the areas near Sam Rayburn Tollway bordering Frisco.
Howdy!
For your needs I would look into the far north portion of Plano. The have lots of parks including the giant community one off of hedgecox Rd. The homes were constructed by many quality builders such as Highland and David Weekley. There are plenty of 3 bedroom homes available.The four Frisco ISD elementary schools all have steady populations along with the middle school and high schools, so usually no rezoning occurs over here other than a few small tweaks here and there. Liberty High has a great journalism program and marching band, while Lebanon Trail High has a marching band that has advanced to the state level. They are both solid school feeders but I would go with LT first because there are new homes in "The Grove" subdivision surrounding Liberty, and that might change zoning in the future for the Plano kids in the Liberty feeder as The Grove gets more high school aged children.

Have a great day and don't hesitate to ask me any questions!

Old 03-03-2023, 04:39 PM

7 posts, read 11,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radraiderz2004 View Post
Howdy!
For your needs I would look into the far north portion of Plano. The have lots of parks including the giant community one off of hedgecox Rd. The homes were constructed by many quality builders such as Highland and David Weekley. There are plenty of 3 bedroom homes available.The four Frisco ISD elementary schools all have steady populations along with the middle school and high schools, so usually no rezoning occurs over here other than a few small tweaks here and there. Liberty High has a great journalism program and marching band, while Lebanon Trail High has a marching band that has advanced to the state level. They are both solid school feeders but I would go with LT first because there are new homes in "The Grove" subdivision surrounding Liberty, and that might change zoning in the future for the Plano kids in the Liberty feeder as The Grove gets more high school aged children.

Have a great day and don't hesitate to ask me any questions!
Which streets/intersections would define "Far North Plano" We're still trying to figure out when one neighborhood begins and the other one ends! We do love Russell Creek Park. Is that part of the area?

Old 03-03-2023, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Which streets/intersections would define "Far North Plano" We're still trying to figure out when one neighborhood begins and the other one ends! We do love Russell Creek Park. Is that part of the area?
The boundaries of the far north Plano FISD area going from east to west would be: north of McDermott Rd until you get to Coit Rd where the boundary dips down to the Aldenham/Avebury and Orchard Gate/Ridge Park alley way. Then once you hit Preston Meadows Dr it dips really far down and becomes everything north of Reunion Dr.

Russell Creek Park is right across the street from the majority of far north Plano so it's close by and convenient. You also have Heritage Park, which is in the area and across from Riddle elementary school.

Old 03-04-2023, 05:04 PM

1,428 posts, read 1,449,780 times
I think Frisco at $450K will be very tough if not impossible.
Maybe at $600K.
New construction in Frisco at $600K will be 1/2 duplex.
Might look at Allen, Celina, Melissa.
If I were in your bracket, with a 4 year old, I would take a serious look at Gunter.
That very well could be the next Prosper.
Today it is certainly not Frisco....but very well could be the Frisco of 20 years ago.
Buy in the path of progress.
While Plano is certainly a nice place, it was the Frisco of 40 years ago.
Almost never hear people talk of or call and request Plano any more.

Old 03-04-2023, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamLynn View Post
I think Frisco at $450K will be very tough if not impossible.
Maybe at $600K.
New construction in Frisco at $600K will be 1/2 duplex.
Might look at Allen, Celina, Melissa.
If I were in your bracket, with a 4 year old, I would take a serious look at Gunter.
That very well could be the next Prosper.
Today it is certainly not Frisco....but very well could be the Frisco of 20 years ago.
Buy in the path of progress.
While Plano is certainly a nice place, it was the Frisco of 40 years ago.
Almost never hear people talk of or call and request Plano any more.
OP also said they wanted existing homes which up far north does not currently have much of especially if they were not a fan of Prosper. They could probably find a smaller home under 450k in the Braswell 380 corridor area, but then they would not be by Frisco and would have to deal with the nightmare that is highway 380 :/

Old 05-26-2023, 06:43 PM

9 posts, read 9,951 times
https://www.amlegendhomes.com/commun...rosper/lilyana

Great schools, developing area, everything within 10 mins drive.
New home and good lot size

Old 05-31-2023, 03:04 PM

210 posts, read 268,762 times
Consider NEW Mattamy Homes in Frisco, TX. This development WADE SETTLEMENT TOWNHOMES(high end features) looks promising. TH’S range from 2000+ s.f., prices range from the mid to upper $500’s to the lower $600’s. Excellent location, we lived in Frisco for 11 years, maybe this is a viable alternative to consider? Be sure and ask about any INCENTIVES. Sales just now starting - Good Luck! p

https://mattamyhomes.com

Last edited by Fiber Guy; 05-31-2023 at 03:55 PM..

Old 05-31-2023, 04:05 PM

5,683 posts, read 4,089,405 times
Quote:

I can't help with other neighborhoods, but I am skeptical of the idea that known factors today will help you with resale in the future. That stuff is already baked in. Everyone today knows that Frisco has good schools, so I'm not sure that will help you with resale in the future, although this is an oft-repeated idea. Comparative resale strength is about things that change, not things that are already accounted for.

A lot of people on this forum are very familiar with these areas, so you can probably get some very specific advice here. I would add a few things that you care about, though. You mentioned Plano has older homes, but not everyone thinks that's a bad thing. Many people would describe Frisco as having a Stepford Wives feel. My point is only that preferences will drive a lot of what make an area a good fit for you.

Old 06-01-2023, 09:49 AM

1,399 posts, read 2,153,119 times
Quote:

Take a look around central Plano. My grandparents had a home close to Park/Custer. The homes are older (built in the early 90s) but they are smaller, "garden-style" homes. They had a 3 bed/2 bath that was right at ~1900 square ft.

Someone else also mentioned north east Plano and that's a good option because parts of it are zoned to Frisco ISD. Look just to the south of 121 around Coit, Ohio, and Independence. It's the city of Plano, but Frisco ISD.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas