Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2008, 08:25 AM

2 posts, read 4,337 times

Advertisements

We are thinking of relocating to the arlington area. We have 3 children and my concerns are:

1) How bad are the spiders and snakes?
2) Is it so hot that we really can't go outside in the summer?
3) What kind of house can we rent for 1400-1800?

I grew up on the west coast in oregon and moved to michigan 10 years ago. I can't take the winters much longer. I have only visited texas one time and it was in san antonio. My husband grew up in michigan but he's getting tired of the cold also.

So I would like to know what it's really like to live in texas. Any info would be great. We don't have much time to make a decision. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2008, 08:44 AM

6,819 posts, read 14,032,189 times
I doubt if you have a serious problem with snakes and to a less extent spiders but it really depends on where you put roots down. I live in a cookie cutter subdivision and have not seen a snake in 12 years. Have quite a few spiders but as long as they stay outside I am fine. Texas summers can be brutal. It takes a bit getting use to 100 degree weather. For folks from Michigan and Oregon it's gonna take time to adjust. I am not familiar with newer areas of Arlington but you should add Grand Prairie to your list. It's right down freeway from Arlington and has some very nice areas. I am sure some realestate agents will be more helpfull but I would say with your budget you should be able to find 3 bedroom, 2 car garage home in the 2,000sqft range with no problem. You will trade Michigan winters for Texas summers but it would be worth it IMHO.

Old 05-30-2008, 05:48 PM

6,578 posts, read 25,463,955 times
How did you zero in on Arlington?

Old 05-30-2008, 05:59 PM

4,207 posts, read 15,255,953 times
Grainraiser is correct. You can get a lot for your money in your price range may be even a 4-5 bedroom house in your high end. My family and I moved from Chicago in '95 and haven't regretted it at all. Yes it's HOT in the summer, but I'll take it anytime over the cold of Chicago.

You really need to make a trip to see for yourself. No matter how well it gets described for you, it won't give you the real picture. It's soooo big here.

Naima

Old 06-02-2008, 10:18 AM

2 posts, read 4,337 times
My husband would transfer with general motors. I'm just wondering if it's the right place for us. Thanks for the responses!

Old 06-02-2008, 11:37 AM

1 posts, read 2,124 times
I have not heard about snakes seen in residential areas. As for the weather in Texas.... Yes it gets hot and the cool thing is the kids and their parents get to go swimming. Find a home with a neighborhood swimming pool.
Since you are thinking of relocating, I would suggest that you consider other cities close to Arlington like Mansfield and Grand Prairie. They also have nice homes and good areas and schools. Glorypark in Arlington will be the new home of the Dallas Cowboys and Arlington already has the Texas Rangers Ballpark and Six Flags.
For rent between 1400 and 1800, you would get 3-4 bedrooms with square footage of about 1500+. It is worth taking a trip down here to check out the areas. You will be pleasantly surprised because everything is big in Texas.

Old 07-01-2008, 09:10 AM

7 posts, read 17,972 times
I'm also interested in this area of Texas. I have 4 small children, ages 9-2, and we've lived in Wisconsin for almost 10 years. Can you give me heads up on weather, critters, traffic, crime......and the list goes on. Please, if you're in High School and just can't wait to "get out", then don't reply. I'm really looking for a place similar to "Lighted Streets on Quiet Nights" to raise a family.

Jayvee_1

Old 07-01-2008, 10:01 AM

Location: DFW, specializing in NE Tarrant County, Southlake, Westlake, Keller, Grapevine, Trophy Club, Roanoke
77 posts, read 333,943 times
I live in Trophy Club, northwest of Arlington and a little more 'out there' so to speak.

The only snakes I have found are the good kind... those eight inch long garden snakes that like to hang out in your compost heap or piles of leaves. They are completely harmless but make great sport for my cats who leave one or two on the porch each week as gifts.

I can't say we've got a big spider problem here. I'm sure they're around. I just haven't noticed any big scary ones. Mostly little ones that are easily disposed of with a tissue. They seem to gravitate to the dark corners around the woodwork in the bathroom for some reason.

I have noticed an increase in the number of wild turkeys this year. They like to gobble around along the side roads near cow pastures and you have to be careful not to run over them.

We do have field mice in my neighborhood. Again, I probably wouldn't notice them at all if my cats didn't bring them home on occasion as gifts.

As for the weather... the DFW area is not particularly bothersome to me. The main difference between some other parts of the country is that it gets hot earlier and stays hot later in the season than more northern states. In other words... milder winters!

Crime? Well, coming from Washington DC, the difference for me is NIGHT and DAY. I talked to one of our local cops a few weeks ago and asked him if anything was going on worth noting. He responded that they'd had a string of four or five car burglaries (in a town of 7,500)... the problem was that ladies were leaving their purses or laptops out on the seat and forgetting to lock their doors. In fact that's pretty common in this area... people will leave their car running, with keys in the ignition, while they spend a few minutes in the mini-mart filling their coffee cup! We NEVER did that back east!

Old 07-01-2008, 11:23 AM

16,087 posts, read 41,159,147 times
What, no questions about tornadoes?

Old 07-01-2008, 03:55 PM

434 posts, read 1,482,155 times
if you love sports like your username suggests I think you will love Arlington. Looks like it is committed to becoming the big sports draw in america with the cowboys and the rangers being down the street from one another. added icing on the cake for you and your kids is your easy access to the theme parks.

I don't think you'll have an issue with snakes all of the construction out there should have driven them away by now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas