Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2007, 02:42 PM

1 posts, read 5,948 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are from New Orleans. My husband got transfered to Dallas in April of 06'. We have been living apart for nearly 8 mths. I grew up here in LA all my life...Im terrified of Texas.... Its such a beautiful place.... But such a big city. Im so used to everything being near me.. I have 2 daughters, 7 and 3... and they miss their father dearly... So i've finally decided to join him in Dallas...my husband lives in Mc Kinney, but we want to move closer to where he works.. we are looking for something to rent for the time being...(untill i know the area better) but most important to me is the schools. i dont kno where to begin...he wants to live near interstate 75 i think... i kno he works down town... where to look? where to start?... if anyone has any advise for me... i would surely appreciate it... i would love to move near their school and hopefully have a walmart near by!!! hehehe ...he has mentioned Richardson and Plano to me... are these places near downtown??? and is it a safe place?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2007, 04:16 PM

4,875 posts, read 10,067,064 times
Richardson is an older suburb of Dallas - I believe it is fine in terms of safety.

Plano is a large suburb of Dallas - I believe Plano is safe too.

I would rent an apartment in the north Dallas area and figure out which areas you like the best.

As for schools:
* Most of Plano is in Plano ISD (School district), while some is in Lewisville ISD and some is in Frisco ISD
* Most of Richardson is in Richardson ISD, while some is in Plano ISD

Old 01-06-2007, 06:55 PM

3,035 posts, read 14,428,174 times
Your situation sounds just like mine. I moved out first from CA and I believe my wife was hoping my company would go under in a few months and that I'd move back. After 3 trips back and forth and some sad goodbyes, my wife is onboard with moving out.

Our problem is that we know we will move back to CA in a few years and there are few Real Estate scenarios suitable for 2-year stays.

If you need to be on the 75, take a look at West Allen:

Resales: Twin Creeks
New: Montgomery Farms

My favorite spots there.....

Their is some great info about 'Montgomery Farms' on the web, so google it and tell me what you think. I believe there is alot of upside there and it is brand new and just a few miles above Richardson.

In Richardson: Spring Creek, Canyon Creek and Breckenridge are all nice.

Old 05-15-2009, 05:09 PM

57 posts, read 169,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by socketz View Post

In Richardson: Spring Creek, Canyon Creek and Breckenridge are all nice.
I realize this is an old post .....but can someone provide some zip codes for the Spring Creek, Canyon Creek and Breckenridge neighborhoods in Richardson, please????

Thanks in advance . . .

Old 05-15-2009, 05:39 PM

492 posts, read 961,747 times
Looks like 75080 and 75082 are the typical zips in Richardson. To help you resolve location issues you can do this...

Open Google maps.. maps.google.com
In the search line type in Richardon, Tx... you get... Richardson, Tx
When on that map type in Spring Creek and you'll get some listings for Spring Creek in Richardson.
Click on one of the listings and you'll get the location balloon on the map showing name, address including zip code and maybe other info.

Canyon Creek was the same thing.

Breckenridge brings up Colorado but I typed in... Breckenridge Richardson, Texas and got several listings... balloons and all.

Old 05-15-2009, 09:02 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,266,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HealthInfoTech View Post
I realize this is an old post .....but can someone provide some zip codes for the Spring Creek, Canyon Creek and Breckenridge neighborhoods in Richardson, please????

Thanks in advance . . .
Canyon Creek is 75080, bounded (I think) by Campbell on the south, Renner on the north, Floyd on the west, and Collins on the east. Most of it is Richardson ISD but the part in Collin County is Plano ISD. I think the two Richardson elementary schools in that subdivision (Prairie Creek and Canyon Creek) are "exemplary" and the Plano one (Aldridge) is "recognized".

I looked hard for real estate in my price range there and found a lot of houses with foundation and wiring problems that would cost a lot of money to fix because the foundations are slab on grade. However if your price range is higher than mine then you might not run into those same problems. The neighborhood is beautiful and very desirable. Best of luck and I hope you enjoy Dallas, it is a wonderful city!

Old 05-15-2009, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Canyon Creek is 75080, bounded (I think) by Campbell on the south, Renner on the north, Floyd on the west, and Collins on the east. Most of it is Richardson ISD but the part in Collin County is Plano ISD. I think the two Richardson elementary schools in that subdivision (Prairie Creek and Canyon Creek) are "exemplary" and the Plano one (Aldridge) is "recognized".

I looked hard for real estate in my price range there and found a lot of houses with foundation and wiring problems that would cost a lot of money to fix because the foundations are slab on grade. However if your price range is higher than mine then you might not run into those same problems. The neighborhood is beautiful and very desirable. Best of luck and I hope you enjoy Dallas, it is a wonderful city!
Thanks.........just out of curiosity, may I pls ask what is your price range?

Old 05-15-2009, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaladoSam View Post
Looks like 75080 and 75082 are the typical zips in Richardson. To help you resolve location issues you can do this...

Open Google maps.. maps.google.com
In the search line type in Richardon, Tx... you get... Richardson, Tx
When on that map type in Spring Creek and you'll get some listings for Spring Creek in Richardson.
Click on one of the listings and you'll get the location balloon on the map showing name, address including zip code and maybe other info.

Canyon Creek was the same thing.

Breckenridge brings up Colorado but I typed in... Breckenridge Richardson, Texas and got several listings... balloons and all.
great idea.......thank you

Old 05-15-2009, 09:23 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,266,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HealthInfoTech View Post
Thanks.........just out of curiosity, may I pls ask what is your price range?
I can go as high as $250k but I want to stay under $200k and am being quite firm about that. I am a single buyer so there's no cushion if I lose my job so I don't want to be mortgaged to the max!

Old 05-16-2009, 12:22 AM

3,853 posts, read 12,863,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
I can go as high as $250k but I want to stay under $200k and am being quite firm about that. I am a single buyer so there's no cushion if I lose my job so I don't want to be mortgaged to the max!
Well if you are a single buyer my advice would be to put down a larger down payment like around 50%. That way if you lose your job you can always refinance the house and take equity out. Also make sure you don't spend more than 30% of your net income on the house and make sure that 6 months emergency fund is there just in case.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas