Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2008, 01:39 AM

158 posts, read 581,967 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeedtoLeaveOrangeCounty View Post
Actually, most people are on private employer payed insurance programs. I would imagine Emergency Rooms would have to see everyone that come in, but unless its life threathening, hospitals send people to County. I imagine with Arnold tryign to make all children covered by the state, we may see a decrease in unpaid medical bills, but an increase in taxes to pay for it. Texas has a similar situation with illegal aliens there, however your state government doesnt make the citizens buy them health care, housing, food stamps, education, incarceration, etc.....I wish someone here would start looking out for US Citizens, not the poor refugees from third world countries. Nurses are leaving in droves here....not even because of the pay issues, more like exposure to TB, Hepititis, and non compliant patients. Its really sad, like I said in a previous post....its Mexifornia.

In California, we have a maximum of 5:1 patient ratios. The unions insisted on it. I am not a big union fan, however, in that aspect, I definatly see a better patient care ratio. I have heard horrror stories about Texas, with no laws about patient ratios.

Just weighing my options....may look at travel nursing, that pays agency rates, and buy in Texas to take advantage of the no state income tax, and low housing costs.

Being a staff nurse is for the birds....
Watch the film 'Sicko' by Michael Moore. That explains a lot about the industry you're in.

F.Y.I. - I am not a minority, but please, do be kind to others. You sound like a bigot. Just consider yourself blessed and leave it at that. God forbid you were poor and lost everything; for most people living in California, this only takes one paycheck to fall behind. Have some compassion - you are a nurse for Christ's sake!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2008, 01:47 AM

11,431 posts, read 19,000,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlsRUs View Post
Watch the film 'Sicko' by Michael Moore. That explains a lot about the industry you're in.

F.Y.I. - I am not a minority, but please, do be kind to others. You sound like a bigot. Just consider yourself blessed and leave it at that. God forbid you were poor and lost everything; for most people living in California, this only takes one paycheck to fall behind. Have some compassion - you are a nurse for Christ's sake!!!
i don't know which part of california that you live in, but to those who have lived in so cal for a long length of time, it is very easy to get disgusted by the illegal invasion that has gone on for far too long there. as a nurse, she's probably seen a good share of non-paying immigrants, etc. you have the right to call her out on it (you might even be right in your assumption), but i can empathize with her frustration of being a working person and having the State work against you with their ill conceived policies.

Old 02-17-2008, 02:01 AM

158 posts, read 581,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
i don't know which part of california that you live in, but to those who have lived in so cal for a long length of time, it is very easy to get disgusted by the illegal invasion that has gone on for far too long there. as a nurse, she's probably seen a good share of non-paying immigrants, etc. you have the right to call her out on it (you might even be right in your assumption), but i can empathize with her frustration of being a working person and having the State work against you with their ill conceived policies.
I can respect that. However, I have lived in Southern California all of my life, and it is about compassion and raw humanity. It's about walking a mile in someone else's shoes. Give what you have, minister to others; you never know when you or someone you love could be in a similar time of need. We all need help from time to time, even if it's not financial. I have found that the most tenderhearted people have come from some pretty trying experiences. I believe that needtoleaveorangecounty is judging pretty harshly. When you point a finger at someone, you have four pointing back at you.

Old 06-04-2008, 06:21 AM

1 posts, read 2,772 times
Smile Question regarding pay in DFW area

I know that there has been extensive talk about nursing pay but does anyone know how much NICU nurses make? My family is planning a relocation to Dallas next summer for a few reasons and I would like to get an idea of what salaries are like. Right now in Phoenix, AZ I make $24.40/hr with one year experience, but I travel 60+ miles roundtrip from the East Valley into the city, with gas being what it is and the mass transit system sucking as it does we spend moe then $100 a week on gas. Also I recieved a call from a recruiter at Baylor-Garland (?), are they really all that and a bag of chips or is Children's Hospital the better pick?
I am looking for a Level 3, M/S or Small Baby (under 28 weeks) specialty. I currently work at a hospital that specializes in high order multiples, so something along that line.
Oh and people need to stop complaining about the heat in TX...try 120 for three months out of the year!

Thanks y'all (do you really say that in TX, I may have to work on my accent)!

Old 11-18-2008, 11:47 AM

1 posts, read 2,618 times
Angry Group One implications

I am an emergency room RN in Dallas, Texas, and I, myself, was placed in group one status about one month ago. It has a huge effect on your nursing career. Although, the actions were minor, it had nothing to do with my nursing, patient care. There was a miscommunication between another staff member and I; a 14 yr old volunteer told her mother about it; moher called supervisor. before you know it I was fired without getting chance to speak because I initiated the interaction is what i can assume. Although, I did not curse, I did not yell; the other staff member did both. She still has her job - she is a secretary. I have applied and inerviewed for other jobs, but the group one status is big hang up!! Currently, I am going through the "formal grievance" process, which is a "min-court" performed at the hospital with a committee chosen for me by the HR representative that was responsible for the decision for termination.

Other staff members that witnessed the situation were not allowed to make any statements, and I was never given the chance to make a formal statement. The hospital is making it very difficult for me to really do anyting about it; staff members have been told not to communicate with me. They have closed the doors and are treating me like a criminal.

I would say not only is TEXAS NOT a worker-freindly state, but neither is the company I am working for. I am a hard-working deicated employee. I have never been written up or counseled in 4.5 yrs of nursing. I was being considered for a managment position (which they were prepared to offer me the day of the "incident").

Group one status is nothing to laugh at or shrug off...this may seriously effect your employmeny eligiblity. I have never had difficulty landing a job before, I am 32 yrs old. I can normally walk in for an interview, and walk out with a job. Not now, I have a "rad flag" as nurse recruitment calls it. I am being denied jobs I easily qualify for.

I have hired a lawyer, and I am quite expensively learning there is not much an employee can really do; for now I am just praying that the grievance commitee will allow me to speak accurately and thoroughly about the "incident." I am praying that they will be fair and open minded individuals that determine the "fate" of my career.

My immediate supervisor, and my manager do not support the decision to terminate, nor do they support the group one status decision. However, they did not have a hand in the decision making. Unfortunately, the incident did not occur on weekday when management was around; or they would have dealt with it thmselves; and they have stated "it would have never even left the office." The decision was made by an HR rep who sits in her office all day and has no idea how truly devastating her quick decisions can be for others.

Old 11-19-2008, 10:58 AM

173 posts, read 655,819 times
Please post it at allnurses.com texas section, let your voice heard, you may get advices or jobs from nurses there.

Old 03-20-2009, 10:01 PM

19 posts, read 46,878 times
NC is calling your name! I'm a ER RN here and you can work any hours you choose to work and the pay for someone with BSN + 3 yrs doing travel will be $35/hr plus...I repeat for TRAVEL NURSING. I live in suburbs, decent neighborhood where I can walk at night with a golf club (I'm not stupid), but just for 'in case'...I pay $700./mo for a 3BD/2BA rental. My son, goes to the BEST public high school in the county which is 3 yrs old and he is an honors student. We were hoping to wait til he graduated to move to TX, but the failing economy has hurt my landlord and we must move as soon as school is out this summer. Hope this helps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas