Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2008, 04:29 PM

27 posts, read 163,868 times

Advertisements

Fo people who have built a home in Dallas and/or the surrounding area (commonly referred to as the DFW Metroplex - I think )

What upgrades did you not do that you wish you had?

Which upgrades did you do that were not worth it or you wish you hadn't done?

Which upgrades did you do that you are happy you did them?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2008, 04:48 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,877,627 times
Depends on the price point and the area what upgrades are a MUCH better resale down the road along w/ what one enjoys.

1. Entry level priced homes: Our first house which was and is the typicaly "first time buyer" home of all of 1616 sq ft and 1 story 3/2/2. We upgraded the pad and carpet. This is a MUST in just about all price points. The floorplan we picked was small but lived BIG! I have the pleasure of talking often to the people that bought it and lived in it for 7 years before selling. They like us LOVED that house and we all said the same thing about the layout - lived BIG! It was an easy house to get into and then upgrade yourself w/ quality things w/o breaking the bank for that price point.

2. Second house - 1 story 4/3/3 study and formals. BIG and OPEN floorplan. We upgraded the carpet & pad as well as had the builder do the sprinkler system, tile floors in all bathrooms (large 18x18 in master), double ovens, door from garage to the backyard, two phone lines in study, 42" cabinets in kitchen. These were all items it was cheaper and easier for the builder to do than us ourselves. We then did a few things we wanted but not near everything we envisioned for that house like: huge patio cover, wood floors (builder wanted WAY TOO MUCH), different counter tops (granite or corian or such), pool, etc. What we did do was plant more trees in the HUGE backyard, add flower beds front & back, upgrade dishwasher, change out light fixtures, etc.

3. We are the second owners of this house and the previous owners that built it and had the upgrades done during construction got their money back for sure. What was included and sealed the deal for us: Wood floors throughout most of downstairs, beautiful wood study (floors, built-ins, trim, walls), sound system, media room, EXTENSIVE landscaping, shutters throughout, windows tinted, leaded glass doors and windows, wood trim and moldings, wood crown moldings, wood window sills & frames, upgraded carpet & pad. When we were considering brand new builds vs this home we went w/ this one that already had most of the upfront cost of getting into a new home done. Some of what is in this house would look out of place in the 1st house due to the price point. There is a lot to consider when it comes to the price point of the home one is buying/building.

Always ask the builder how much for ANYTHING and EVERYTHING your thinking about as an upgrade. If the price is right and it can get done during construction - GO FOR IT! When the builder of home #2 told us it would only be $1500 for the sprinkler system for the ENTIRE yard (HUGE culdesac lot) we could not write the check fast enough and prayed they would not come back w/ a higher figure. There is no way we could have had the sprinkler system put in for that price after moving in. Same for when they priced tile for the bathrooms. Came to about $100 additional for each of the 2 second bathrooms and $199 for the master. HELLO! I'll TAKE IT! I could not hire a tile layer for that let alone buy the tile. Same for the 42" cabinets. Price was reasonable and that was something hubby had never done so why bother with tearing up a kitchen for that. Wood floors w/ that builder were NO WAY! I could have put handscraped wood floors in the entire house for what they wanted for just the main living areas. Never hurts to ask.

Old 06-05-2008, 05:16 PM

6,822 posts, read 14,034,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alaina75 View Post
Fo people who have built a home in Dallas and/or the surrounding area (commonly referred to as the DFW Metroplex - I think )

What upgrades did you not do that you wish you had?

Which upgrades did you do that were not worth it or you wish you hadn't done?

Which upgrades did you do that you are happy you did them?

Thanks!

I have only owned one house but I will take a stab at this one.

Wish I would have had electrical outlets placed on the corners of the house. I really do the decorations up big for Christmas and having outlets on a switch would make it so much easier. I also wish I would have added a natural gas line for a BBQ Grill. I built a outdoor kitchen and have to use propane. A third bay for a garage would be at the top of my list now. Storage is such a valuable commodity and a third bay would be perfect.

I upgraded the carpet and vinyl in the house and wish I would have just had hardwood floors and ceramic tile from the start. Now that I have a child I simply hate carpet. Regardless what you do it looks crappy after 5 years. Never again will I make that mistake. Cat5 & Cat6 was not available when I built my house but I would not build one now without it.

Added a jacuzzi tub and it was a complete waste of money for me. We simply do not take baths (shower only) in my household. I am sure others do but I could have saved a few bucks by just going with a deep tub. This is a good thread.

Old 06-05-2008, 05:23 PM

70 posts, read 315,037 times
My theory is:
anything structural or anything that would be a real hassle doing after move in, i would atleast listen to. I think thats my prsonal rule of thumb. its not always about cost - its about how easily can it be done later?

like additional rooms, balconies, patios, sunrooms, bay windows. better do it now than get association involved. lots more hassle.
In our last home, we got tiling done after move in but we never got ahed of the dust in the house and on the furniture n the walls etc. things like that are important to us.

Also anything electrical - make sure even if its cheaper to get done later, it can actually be done. on a one story, wiring for cable etc can be done afterward, but on a two story, its a lot harder- particularly wiring the first floor or for reaching the rooms that are against exterior walls.

Sprinklers in the yard.

extra insulation in attic. ask your bulilder how much? he did mine from R38 to R49 for next to nothing so i did it.

radiant barrier - have to do it before u move in.

extra garage - much harder to do afterwards plus association will get in.

fan prewire n boxes before u move in - lot easier

momof2's rule about getting everything priced out n then deciding if its a good price or not is a good rule.
good luck!

Old 06-05-2008, 06:31 PM

3,820 posts, read 8,747,540 times
I love our hardwoods and tile floors on the first floor. We only have carpet in the master. We've got 4 cats and a dog and it's just so much more practical.

Electrical outlets - get as many as you can. Stand in the room before the electrical goes in and imagine your furniture layout. Think about all the types of lighting - overhead, lamps, accent etc. It's way easier to get it added before the sheetrock is in. Oh and consider where you want ceiling fans - they need special boxes as HarishV mentioned. We aren't using the upstairs bedrooms as bedrooms but we wired everything for them for resale. Ceiling fans are a standard in Dallas, even if the designers on HGTV hate them.

Upgraded carpet pad. Our Sotherby package came with "Level 2" carpet which isn't anything to write home about. But when they went to order it, they were out so they upgraded us to Level 3. We had looked into darker carpet for the media room which was only available at Level 9 - $3,000 for one room. We opted to just get the same carpet installed and eventually change it out. But I actually like the lighter carpet in there. It's so not noticable when the movie is on.

Old 06-06-2008, 01:04 PM

3,041 posts, read 11,888,220 times
every house we have bought we have had to change out the stupid cheap builder lights (you know the ones...the brass ugly ones) so...upgrade your light fixtures and bath fixtures.

woodfloors and tile...no vinyal please, no laminate please, no cheap carpet in the dining room please!

ugrade the carpet pads and carpet in bedrooms.

put in granite now and 42" cabinets.

Yes, double ovens.

prewire all rooms for cable etc...

add extra outlets. esp in kitchen (island etc..) and yes, outdoor outlets.

extra insulation and radiant barrier.

3 car garage with the 3ft bump if avail.

ALL bedrooms ceiling lights and fans.

upgrade master bath cabinets and granite etc... (other baths keep standard)

Old 06-06-2008, 01:19 PM

12 posts, read 47,528 times
This is why we prefer to build rather than move into an existing home. All of the upgrades you mentioned were things we included when we built. We recently looked for a second home in another state. By the time we took out all of the cheap bathroom fixtures, cabinets and appliances in the kitchen and got rid of the carpet. It was cheaper to by new.

Old 06-06-2008, 01:47 PM

One other thing - water spigots outside. Our house came with one on the front corner by the garage and one in the center of the back of the house. We added one to the other corner of the front of the house. I hate dragging hoses and I've got potted plants over there where having a water spigot makes my life way easier.

Old 06-06-2008, 02:47 PM

4,173 posts, read 6,687,211 times
Wish list of upgrades (per my wife)
- upgraded husband
- insulation, radiant barrier
- granite in kitchen

Regrets:
- jacuzzi bath tub
(notice that husband not in this category - yet)

Old 06-06-2008, 03:58 PM

I'll agree on that Jacuzzi tub based on everyone else I know. Ours gets used 3-4 times a week thanks to DH's chosen profession (electrician for all of you thinking something else!). But I swear we are the only ones who ever use it. We have some friends that lived in their house here in the neighborhood for 2 years and when they sold their house had to ask if the jacuzzi motor was supposed to sound like that, because they'd never had it on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas