Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2008, 09:46 PM

Location: DFW, specializing in NE Tarrant County, Southlake, Westlake, Keller, Grapevine, Trophy Club, Roanoke
77 posts, read 333,976 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by missmykids View Post
What are the pros of moving to DFW metroplex from southern California? Here are some things I am sick of in California: Traffic, traffic, traffic, unfriendly & rude people, high cost of living, and smog.
I've not lived in SoCal, but I've visited. And I'm familiar with traffic on the east coast as well. Overall, DFW is simply not nearly as bad. If you're careful about where you locate, you really can avoid the congestion to a large degree... unlike some cities where you're doomed no matter where you live.

I've traveled quite a bit, and while people are people are people... then there are Texans. Nuff said.

The air quality here is not the best. But the problem for most is not so much smog, but pollen. What smog we get usually blows away fairly quickly on the hot Texas winds. Occasionally it hovers like it does over LA. And you can always escape out to the Hill Country, just as you can escape to the mountains or desert in CA.

If you do decide to come this way... WELCOME!!

Old 06-13-2008, 01:49 PM

37 posts, read 129,210 times
Wow, I cannot believe some of the reasons for not wanting to live in Texas.

I have lived here for 25 years, grew up in Chicago. The summers take some getting used to, but I do not miss the winters up there. Granted, I did not leave California, but the sports, culture, and outdoor activities were great.

I live in Collin County. My property tax rate is 2.7%, other cities (like McKinney) are closer to 3%. This is to fund all the new schools needed because the area is growing so much. You do get some exemptions, like if you live in the house you own (not an investor), or if you are disabled or over 65, all of which reduce your taxes. Homes seem to be fairly assessed.

You can find suburbs that are less congested, have bigger lots/acreage, trees, etc. If you go west, closer to Fort Worth, there are many wooded areas, lakes and rolling hills.

As far as the "religious" people go, they (we) come in all varieties. I am religious but don't always go to church, and I NEVER try to impose my beliefs on anyone. But, when you move into a house, it's a crapshoot, no matter what state you live in, what kind of neighbors you're going to get. I lived in Plano for many years and never had anyone try to evangelize me.

Our next-door neighbors moved here from San Diego last summer. Their house is a brand new, 4200 sq. foot, granite c-tops, wrought iron stairs, stone exterior, 3-car garage, stone fireplace, stainless appliances, etc. They paid $262K for it, and have been adding other things like crazy. It would have cost triple that, is what they told me, back in SD. They like it here, are getting used to the storms and the heat, but have so much more house for the money. The schools are fine, maybe not the best in the nation, but darn good. Our street is filled with a variety of families, one a single mom whose husband died in Iraq and who has teenagers and a pre-schooler. We are empty-nesters, and another home has two brothers living in it. We all watch out for one another, and it is a friendly environment.

You can find good and bad everywhere in the U.S. I like it here because the cost of living is among the lowest for a large city in the US, the job market is strong, housing is stable and the people are generally friendly. When I smile at someone at the store, I generally get a smile and a "Hi" in return. Depending on where your job is and where you live, you could have a rough commute, but there is a rail system and plans to expand it.

It's not a difficult choice for me. I simply cannot afford to live in California, no matter how beautiful it is. I have had to travel to San Jose for business, and the traffic there absolutely astounds me. As do the house prices, gas prices, taxes, and lack of parking everywhere you go.

That pretty much sums it up. You can afford a nice quality of life here in Texas. We have parks, trees, lakes, just no mountains or ocean. It all comes down to what your priorities are.

Cheers!
Nina

PS There are major and minor league sports (Cowboys, Rangers, minor league Roughriders baseball, Mavericks, Nascar, Stars hockey, Frisco soccer), and museums, arboretums, etc. So we are not totally devoid of culture and entertainment, y'all!

Last edited by TexasNina83; 06-13-2008 at 01:52 PM.. Reason: ps

Old 06-13-2008, 04:31 PM

164 posts, read 590,350 times
Excellent post!

Old 06-15-2008, 03:41 PM

3 posts, read 6,961 times
I agree with you, Nina. I am a sports fan and the Dallas Metroplex always has a sporting to attend no matter what the season is.

The housing cost is lower than in Cali and no earthquakes just a tornado here or there. )

However, i must say that San Diego is a beautiful place to visit. I would not live there because it is too expensive but a vacation there is fantastic!

Old 06-15-2008, 07:03 PM

2 posts, read 4,245 times
I moved to Dallas at the end of 2004.
The climate is something else! Snow and ice in the winter, and the hot and humid summers. Took me 3 summers to acclimate to the weather.

I live in Denton Co., my property tax bill is 2.9% based on the appraised value. This year, my appraisal went up, and so did my taxes (I am on appeal for that..the housing market isn't doing as well as the county thinks).

My salary dropped 1/3 from what I was making in SoCal. I had a house in CA, and have had 2 in Dallas. The Utilities are astronomical (I never expected to see a $430 electric bill in the summer, and $230 in the winters. That was a major shock to the budget. Food was cheaper, gasoline was $1.59/gal and is now $3.71 in my area. I commute 1 hr each way (it's really only a 1/2 hour drive without traffic), and my toll tag constantly goes *ca-ching!* on my credit card to the tune of $80 a month (and that's with me not driving the entire tollway)

I am working on moving back to CentralCal (Modesto area), my family is there being a single parent with 2 kids, living here on my own is very difficult without support (not getting it financially from their dad), and my wages haven't budged but once since I've been here, and that was in January 2006. I simply cannot afford to live here anymore, with the low wages, hi prop taxes, medical costs that keep creeping up,and deregulated utilities.

Rents are creeping up, to the point there not much less expensive than an apartment in CA. I think I can do better salary-wise out there. But, the schools are great! And that is the major thing I will miss in TX.

Old 06-15-2008, 07:56 PM

2,783 posts, read 6,676,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BK2008 View Post
The climate is something else! Snow and ice in the winter, and the hot and humid summers. Took me 3 summers to acclimate to the weather.

I live in Denton Co., my property tax bill is 2.9% based on the appraised value. This year, my appraisal went up, and so did my taxes (I am on appeal for that..the housing market isn't doing as well as the county thinks).

My salary dropped 1/3 from what I was making in SoCal. I had a house in CA, and have had 2 in Dallas. The Utilities are astronomical (I never expected to see a $430 electric bill in the summer, and $230 in the winters. That was a major shock to the budget. Food was cheaper, gasoline was $1.59/gal and is now $3.71 in my area. I commute 1 hr each way (it's really only a 1/2 hour drive without traffic), and my toll tag constantly goes *ca-ching!* on my credit card to the tune of $80 a month (and that's with me not driving the entire tollway)

I am working on moving back to CentralCal (Modesto area), my family is there being a single parent with 2 kids, living here on my own is very difficult without support (not getting it financially from their dad), and my wages haven't budged but once since I've been here, and that was in January 2006. I simply cannot afford to live here anymore, with the low wages, hi prop taxes, medical costs that keep creeping up,and deregulated utilities.

Rents are creeping up, to the point there not much less expensive than an apartment in CA. I think I can do better salary-wise out there. But, the schools are great! And that is the major thing I will miss in TX.
It's important to note that CA is a big state, and there is little sense in doing a state to state comparison. Prices in Modesto are very different than prices in Southern California or the Bay Area. I think a strong quality of life argument can be made in favor of D/FW over an inland CA city such as Modesto, where the air is at times worse than L.A. and the crime rate for a small city (200k?) is pretty bad. Prices in Modesto shot up a few years ago since the distance to the Bay Area (100 miles) made it appealing, but all of that has crashed. It's prob a great time to buy a house there now if you don't mind the negatives the city has. I wish the OP all the best and hope it works out going back to Modesto.

Old 06-16-2008, 09:55 AM

2,231 posts, read 6,068,474 times
Good point about Dallas vs Modesto. The things you can enjoy in Dallas, such as culture, major league sports, shopping, restaurants, career opportunities, entertainments, etc., you just are not going to find in a small city like Modesto. If you're used to the pace of life and the urban experience of major cities such as Dallas, you'd die of boredom in Modesto.

Not trying to offend anyone living in the small to medium sized cities in California's Central Valley, but relocation forums such as this are intended to provide r4ealistic relocation advice and factual information.

Also, Browns comments about overgeneralizing California are very appropriate. People talk as if every square inch of the state has perfect weather and magnificent scenery. A visit to Bakersfield or Modesto in the summer will quickly disabuse you of that idea.

Old 06-16-2008, 09:56 AM

16,087 posts, read 41,162,235 times
Snow and ice in Dallas? If you are claiming that is a problem than I would tend to doubt your other claims as it seems you are blindly prejudiced against Dallas.

Old 06-16-2008, 11:41 AM

1,108 posts, read 3,321,512 times
Quote:
Can't people go to Corpus Christie for a vacation, isn't it beautiful?
Compared to beaches in SoCal, FL or the Carolinas - in a word NO. ~ Sorry..

Old 06-16-2008, 12:42 PM

1,053 posts, read 3,090,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BK2008 View Post

This is interesting to me because I'm moving there (from Seattle) for the same reasons you are moving away. I've never lived in CA, but it's hard to imagine that it would be easier to make it there than in TX. I hear that apartments are super expensive in CA, and I know they are here...most of the ones I see in TX are cheaper. Good luck to you, whatever you do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas