Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2007, 01:28 PM

62 posts, read 308,136 times

Advertisements

I think that word has just become such a p o r n word on the Internet - it's a keyword sickos look for, I guess....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2007, 01:29 PM

62 posts, read 308,136 times
momof2 - i want YOUR house - it sounds great!

Old 01-12-2007, 01:52 PM

59 posts, read 222,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skrappile View Post
momof2 - i want YOUR house - it sounds great!

Momof2, I believe in one of your post you indicated that your home was a Drees Home. Am I correct? I happen to like the Drees homes because they offer many items that I would consider an upgrade standard! Their homes have a different flow and feel to them than many of the other builders that I visited while I was there. I love that rear stairway feel as well. One of their floorplans that I am considering has the rear stairway. Nice feature!

Old 01-12-2007, 02:26 PM

3,035 posts, read 14,428,174 times
Let me try to address all the questions at once....

As for Lewisville Schools, they do better when you are buying in Lewisville. Areas like Castle Hills are very upscale and Lewisville schools don't hurt them.

It's just that Planoites like Plano schools and Frisco people want Frisco schools.

Even the areas in North Plano (above Legacy) get hit for using Frisco schools, when in reality, some of the Frisco schools compared to eastern Plano are actually better schools.

As for Grayhawk, ruined may be a bad word. I should have said ruined in the sense that low end builders combined with investors have caused the area to stagnate somewhat - for me, my time horizon is short, so it is not an option because I feel the upside is limited. It is still the best place in Frisco to buy a big house cheap; there are also lots of entry level homes in Grayhawk. I don't think there are many 300k+ homes in that area. Another taboo in Texas is to buy in the cheapest area. You want something in the middle if your time horizon is short. If long, then it doesn't matter much.

Master BDR up as a no-no, it breaks my heart that my little ones have to sleep so far away from me. It's nuts how that is taboo, but it is taboo because it is a stigma that Realtors propogate: "don't buy that house, you'll never be able to sell it because of the MBR up". Houses here are built well compared to CA, and if you go into the luxury builders like Drees, Highland, Darling, David Weekley, they are built world class. The nice thing about Frisco is that it was built from the ground up according to energy efficiency standards mandated by Frisco city, so even the older homes there are well built.

Here's the article on Philips Creek Ranch:

http://www.jeffwimpy.com/index.php/f...n_west_frisco/

The Realtor that post this material is who I learned alot from (along with alot of reading and logging hours in the car and talking to everyone I know here in DFW), not pushy at all and I'd now consider him a friend after 6 months of working together.

As for the second set of stairs, I'm looking at a house tomorrow that has this feature. Everyone says how awesome this is.....so I wonder why builders don't do this more often. Must be related to cost.

Old 01-12-2007, 02:28 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,858,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cami View Post
Momof2, I believe in one of your post you indicated that your home was a Drees Home. Am I correct? I happen to like the Drees homes because they offer many items that I would consider an upgrade standard! Their homes have a different flow and feel to them than many of the other builders that I visited while I was there. I love that rear stairway feel as well. One of their floorplans that I am considering has the rear stairway. Nice feature!
Yes, it is a Drees. Sadly I do not remember the name of the floorplan but they do not build it anymore. Kind of nice though as the area is not overun w/ the same floorplans over and over and over. Yes, they do a lot of upgrades and standard features that even some "highend" true custom builders do not even offer. Seems they offer more rear stairways than other builders. I love it. Not only for the fact it is off the kitchen and utility room and straight up to the media room but it helps keep the wear and tear off the front stair for the carpets sake. Then the laundry...... not having to carry laundry past the front door all the time. I have been known to "drop" a few items down though. They land right in front of the door to the utility room. Drees also makes great use of their closet spaces.

Old 01-12-2007, 02:37 PM

If you like Drees, take a look at the area along the tollway called Cobb Hill (just above Eldorado actually on the tollway).

Highland and Drees are in there. The Drees homes are very nice and actually affordable for Drees.

The only thing about this area that scares me is actually the thing that I feel will make it appreciate well......it's ON the Tollway. Many upscale shops are already slated for the area and it is right above Warren Sports Complex and Frisco Square.

http://www.dreeshomes.com/jsp/neighborhood.jsp

While you are there, walk over to Highland (Luanne is a dream to work with) and check out their models as well. I believe Highland is the best value in Dallas within the luxury space.

As for the Free Media Room, that's a Drees deal....I know the Drees Community in North Plano is giving these away. Since they only have specs that back up to Coit, I lost interest early on at that Drees community. However, if your ok backing up to Coit, the pants are down around their ankles on those homes because they can't move them. Of course this breaks about 5 of the previous rules I listed, but some may say to hell with those rules. Good prices there and you get a new home in Plano, which is almost built out.

Old 01-12-2007, 02:38 PM

549 posts, read 2,193,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by socketz View Post
Let me try to address all the questions at once....

As for Lewisville Schools, they do better when you are buying in Lewisville. Areas like Castle Hills are very upscale and Lewisville schools don't hurt them.

It's just that Planoites like Plano schools and Frisco people want Frisco schools.

Even the areas in North Plano (above Legacy) get hit for using Frisco schools, when in reality, some of the Frisco schools compared to eastern Plano are actually better schools.

As for Grayhawk, ruined may be a bad word. I should have said ruined in the sense that low end builders combined with investors have caused the area to stagnate somewhat - for me, my time horizon is short, so it is not an option because I feel the upside is limited. It is still the best place in Frisco to buy a big house cheap; there are also lots of entry level homes in Grayhawk. I don't think there are many 300k+ homes in that area. Another taboo in Texas is to buy in the cheapest area. You want something in the middle if your time horizon is short. If long, then it doesn't matter much.

Master BDR up as a no-no, it breaks my heart that my little ones have to sleep so far away from me. It's nuts how that is taboo, but it is taboo because it is a stigma that Realtors propogate: "don't buy that house, you'll never be able to sell it because of the MBR up". Houses here are built well compared to CA, and if you go into the luxury builders like Drees, Highland, Darling, David Weekley, they are built world class. The nice thing about Frisco is that it was built from the ground up according to energy efficiency standards mandated by Frisco city, so even the older homes there are well built.

Here's the article on Philips Creek Ranch:

http://www.jeffwimpy.com/index.php/f...n_west_frisco/

The Realtor that post this material is who I learned alot from (along with alot of reading and logging hours in the car and talking to everyone I know here in DFW), not pushy at all and I'd now consider him a friend after 6 months of working together.

As for the second set of stairs, I'm looking at a house tomorrow that has this feature. Everyone says how awesome this is.....so I wonder why builders don't do this more often. Must be related to cost.
Thanks Socketz, You can ignore my PM

By the way for those of you who want to learn more about Frisco there is a website called www.frisco-online.com There is a message board there tooand has sub forums for each community within Frisco. I have learned a lot there and here of course too thanks to Socketz.

Old 01-12-2007, 03:01 PM

What is your price range NY-Dallas ? How many bedrooms do you need, which ammenities ? There are large developed areas I think are better than Grayhawk (like the Trails and Lone Star Ranch) and cost about the same. Have you been to Grayhawk ? If so, you'll see what I mean. Feels unfinished to me, but I think being in Dallas has turned me into a house snob. In CA, you took what you could get in the right area....here, you are blown away by the choices.

I like Frisco Online as well, but since most of the people that post in the forums there are residents, you need to view thier input with some form of subjectiveness (is that a word ?) I also hate the banter posted there about dog **** on sidewalks and trash pickup service. It is a good place to hear people complain about things like a. people using their street as a short cut or b. Road noise complaints or congestion in the morning

Old 01-12-2007, 03:07 PM

64 posts, read 237,622 times
[quote=momof2dfw;270183]I'll add to these since there are some good points.

Wow. I wish I knew this website existed when we bought in the Dallas Metro the first time.... If I can say anything, it's take these emails to heart. They know what they are talking about. We went arrived in Tx from the north and went to Flower Mound back right after 9/11... we were young and in love with the idea that we could get that much sq footage for the price... then we got relocated out and had to sell... the appraisal came in $40,000 less than what we bought it for... we have now been relocated back to TX and are in Frisco-- which we love--- but in Temp Living to make sure we find the absolute best spot for resale... the Dallas Metro is a funny area when it comes to buying and selling-- we got burned the first time.. socketz has it right about west frisco in my opinion... it seems to be growing more by the toll road. We like the trails of west frisco ---stay away from Grand homes from what I heard... and the Shaddock family is the developer and Sotherby is the builder but they are one and the same family-- They seem good, but I did run into someone at the book store who pulled their contract on building with Shaddock because it took them 6 months and they still hadn't poured the foundation... if you are transient and relo a lot, I think you'd love Frisco.

Old 01-12-2007, 03:08 PM

549 posts, read 2,193,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by socketz View Post
What is your price range NY-Dallas ? How many bedrooms do you need, which ammenities ? There are large developed areas I think are better than Grayhawk (like the Trails and Lone Star Ranch) and cost about the same. Have you been to Grayhawk ? If so, you'll see what I mean. Feels unfinished to me, but I think being in Dallas has turned me into a house snob. In CA, you took what you could get in the right area....here, you are blown away by the choices.

I like Frisco Online as well, but since most of the people that post in the forums there are residents, you need to view thier input with some form of subjectiveness (is that a word ?) I also hate the banter posted there about dog **** on sidewalks and trash pickup service. It is a good place to hear people complain about things like a. people using their street as a short cut or b. Road noise complaints or congestion in the morning
Hi Socketz,

I need a 5 bedroom home with a max price of 275,000. If the home has a study as well that would be great. I do not care if the home is new construction, I am kind of leaning away from new but I do not want to see anything older than 2001-2002. I am visiting Frisco to meet with an agent the first week of Feb.

Thx
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas