U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-13-2008, 07:10 AM

2 posts, read 4,500 times

Advertisements

We're moving to the Dallas area and have decided on Flower Mound. But can anyone give us more info about some of the developments we've been looking in? (Realtors, we love 'em, but they can only tell us so much, ya know)

We have 2 older elementary kids, so middle/high school is approaching fast for us. we also talk about Flower Mound HS vs. Marcus

Wellington-nice very community oriented, but it seems as if there's no privacy, the houses are so close. We're a little put off by having our neighbors look down into our back-yards.

Bridlewood-very beautiful but pricy. is it worth it? And that feeds into Marcus HS. Is that a factor?

Hidden Valley- Wow, lots of space! What is the community/life like out there? Good value? appreciation? (My dad always advises me to 'go for more land') anything to be concerned about?

We also looked at Highland Village, nice but houses also seemed too 'close together', might as well stick to Wellington

Not that we want a farm out in rural area, just some breathing room. We live 15ft from our neighbors house now and can hear alot!

Any perspectives or other suggestions? What are we missing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2008, 10:12 AM

71 posts, read 152,067 times
I grew up in Flower Mound but no longer live there but have family still there.

As for the homes, you might as well get use to the houses being close to one another, that's Texas! All of the homes are close in proximity to one another

I really can't tell you too much on the subdivisions per se. FM has a lot of nice areas, esp towards Lake Grapevine, where the lots are maybe larger and what you want or looking for? As for the schools most of the FM schools are great schools with high marks. Flower Mound High is the newest HS so it bigger and nicer compared to Marcus which is the older HS. FMHS, I guess is considered the 'rich' kids HS versus Marcus...lol....its Flower Mound! This is the perspective I guess the kids have there. LOL. I am told (by my sister who has a daughter at FMHS) that FMHS is better academically and more strict. She also mention a growing drug use problem at Marcus amongst teens. Don't know the validity of it or seriousness

Nevertheless, I don't think you can go wrong with either FMHS or Marcus. Flower Mound is a growing area. I remember when there was very little in FM, and it was the uppity 'suburb' of Lewisville, way back when. We had to go into Lewisville for everything back then. So it's nice to see how the town has become self-suficient. It's grown tremendously in the past 10-15 yrs, even though there's been a hault in construction permits from the fast past growth occurring.

Old 06-13-2008, 04:22 PM

31,745 posts, read 36,423,371 times
Quote:
Realtors, we love 'em, but they can only tell us so much, ya know
I just about got my feelings hurt.

The 2 large master planned communities are Wellington & Bridlewood and many smaller subdivisions. I'm a fan of the newer FM High School and where you live will be determined by your price range.

FM is loaded with families / kids, it's a beautiful area with heavily treed parks. If you commute to work, southern FM is usually more desirable.

I could go on but Realtors need to know when to shut up.

Old 06-13-2008, 05:34 PM

2 posts, read 4,500 times
Oh my...sorry, Rakin. Just meant that realtors aren't allowed to tell us the 'real' dirt on a neighborhood.

We'd like to stay under $350K. We're good with fixer-uppers, so potential value and areas with better appreciation work well for us, too.

Old 06-13-2008, 06:58 PM

13 posts, read 98,345 times
You can also try Tour 18 and Chateau De Lac, both very nice developments- not sure if its within your price range.

Old 06-14-2008, 04:58 AM

31,745 posts, read 36,423,371 times
Under $350k ,Bridlewood is pretty much out of the picture. In the southern part of FM there are several good subdivisions Fallbrook, Northshore but my favorite is Wellington. The lots are smaller so if you want land the others may be better.

I've had at least a dozen clients by in Wellington the last 2 years. If you'd like to talk directly to one of them to see how they like it we may be able to make arrangements.

School wise they are all very good and resale is much better in the south.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas