Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2008, 10:38 PM

368 posts, read 1,785,047 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by babytomata View Post
Thanks so much for the responses. My car is in good shape, I'm more worried about my 12 month old - but I'm sure we'll get through it! Looking forward to going to a Texas Ranger game:-) And don't worry that they are lousy, my beloved dodgers break my heart every year. Thanks, Paula
Bah! He'll be asleep for 80% of the trip....

If your car is solid, don't worry about anything.

Oh, and while I say west Texas is boring, I personally like terrain which is desolate, but it puts most folks off. The Big Bend area is gorgeous, if you're into that kinda thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2008, 11:16 PM

3,853 posts, read 12,863,909 times
I'll be making the same route. What happens if I am out in the sticks and my car breaks down? lol

Old 06-15-2008, 12:12 AM

113 posts, read 427,555 times
I have driven 3 times from Los Angeles to DALLAS last summer when we moved here, The route you said first is the best one, I drive to el paso the first day and spend the night, next morning Im off to dallas, get here by the night time, its like a 20-22hr trip depending how fast you drive...good luck

Old 06-15-2008, 08:05 AM

5,406 posts, read 13,274,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by killer2021 View Post
I'll be making the same route. What happens if I am out in the sticks and my car breaks down? lol
There aren't even sticks in many miles of that drive. It is so desolate and erie. I hope you have triple A or some kind of auto help. I wouldn't worry about it as an adult but with that little one-year old to which the OP is referring, that is of great concern. A little one I don't believe would fare well in the heat for long. It's just too dangerous. Please be very prepared in case of vehicle failure.

Old 06-15-2008, 11:09 AM

2,783 posts, read 6,674,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canine*Castle View Post
There aren't even sticks in many miles of that drive. It is so desolate and erie. I hope you have triple A or some kind of auto help. I wouldn't worry about it as an adult but with that little one-year old to which the OP is referring, that is of great concern. A little one I don't believe would fare well in the heat for long. It's just too dangerous. Please be very prepared in case of vehicle failure.
Be prepared with cold water and something for shade just in case, but you are talking about well traveled routes here, you will not be all by yourself for miles and miles. If you break down and can't call for help there will be plenty of cars coming by to wave down for help. Just take appropriate precautions, plan out your stops for the night in advance, have plenty of water and food and you will be fine. We did the exact same drive last August with my very pregnant wife and had no problems.

Old 06-15-2008, 11:28 AM

Yeah, while it's desolate...for tens of miles, it isn't like this road isn't heavily traveled. It's a huge east-west route.

Don't freak out if there are areas in which you lose cellular service. Last time we were through there, 'bout 12 weeks ago, I was amazed how consistient cellular was, but there will be places on the planet in which it will never be profitable to install wireless stations of any sort, and we know what drives business.

One time, it was almost surreal. Here it was, 1:30 AM on a Tuesday, I think, and we're still west of Pecos, headed east. You'll understand why this was so odd once you've traveled the road.

Anyway, the interstate comes to a complete stop, both lanes, and it's backed up for miles. Turns out there was an accident, a true accident, not a wreck, and there was no option but to close the road. Fortunately, I had a CB radio, and eventually figured out what was going on, though it didn't matter, we had plenty of company. Normally, you'd see people bailing onto feeder roads, turning around in the median, driving down the shoulder, whatever. Not here. No feeder roads and the median was barely traversable by foot (and likely conquered only with rock-climbing equipment).

Texans are typically smart enough and friendly enough not to shoot down a shoulder or apron, trying to get around traffic, but I guarantee you'll see it now-and-again.

One other thing. While motorcycle 'lane-splitting' isn't legal, and isn't performed by 98% of the motorcyclists in this state, you will see it on occasion, which, if you've not experienced it in a while, can startle you. I know, coming from Cali, it's ultra-common, but if you don't see it for a while, don't write it off as it doesn't happen....

I saw it yesterday, in the Barton Creek area, just south of downtown Austin, which surprised me, mainly because it wasn't 'trafficky' at the time, and I've not seen it since leaving the west coast...although there are six thousand riders here for the Republic of Texas 'rally', so effectively "anything goes".

Old 06-15-2008, 04:23 PM

5,406 posts, read 13,274,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mckellyb View Post
Texans are typically smart enough and friendly enough not to shoot down a shoulder or apron, trying to get around traffic, but I guarantee you'll see it now-and-again.

Well now, that is very encouraging.

I actually haven't driven from TX to CA and back in many a year so even though you say in Texas, the road is well travelled, what about AZ and NM? I'm just curious because the last time I was on it, grant it......a long time ago......it was desolate. Well, I'm assuming you meant the Texas part of the road since you mentioned the intelligence of Texans above.

In this crazy world today, I'd be mighty careful who stopped to assist me should I have car trouble. I'd be carrying a gun for sure if I traveled that far with a little one.

Old 06-15-2008, 04:45 PM

2,783 posts, read 6,674,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canine*Castle View Post
Well now, that is very encouraging.

I actually haven't driven from TX to CA and back in many a year so even though you say in Texas, the road is well travelled, what about AZ and NM? I'm just curious because the last time I was on it, grant it......a long time ago......it was desolate. Well, I'm assuming you meant the Texas part of the road since you mentioned the intelligence of Texans above.

In this crazy world today, I'd be mighty careful who stopped to assist me should I have car trouble. I'd be carrying a gun for sure if I traveled that far with a little one.
It's all well traveled from CA to Dallas. I carry a gun everywhere I go, freeways included. I highly recommend to the new TX resident(s) that they get their CHL when they get here.

Old 06-15-2008, 06:19 PM

Yeah, I-10 is well-traveled, everywhere. You'll be far from 'alone'.

Old 06-29-2009, 09:27 AM

1 posts, read 24,064 times
Default Driving from Los Angeles to Dallas with DOG- need ideas for pet friendly stops

I'll be relocating to dallas next month. I'm driving with my parents and dog. We want to do the drive in 2 or 3 days. We don't wanna be rushed with the dog and all. What are the best stops? Any pet friendly hotels?? Which route should we take? Our car is in good condition as well
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas