Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2008, 12:39 PM

37 posts, read 138,069 times

Advertisements

Why can't kids learn piano or guitar in public school?

There seems to be a lot of knowledge and opinion on public schools on here so I thought I'd let you guys take a shot at it!

I understand it wouldn't be suitable for football half-time shows and the recitals & concerts probably wouldn't be too entertaining either. But knowing piano and/or guitar is a skill that is much more enjoyable and usable throughout a lifetime (unless of course, you are pursuing a career in music).

Expense can't be a valid answer. Entry level guitars and electric keyboards are arguably cheaper (and typically more durable) than traditional band or orchestra instruments.

What do you guys think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2008, 12:56 PM

2,973 posts, read 9,478,415 times
When my older son was at Harry Stone (public Montessori in DISD) 6-10 yrs ago, piano was offered and many took advantage of it. His teacher was fantastic - Mr. Brown.

Old 06-16-2008, 01:18 PM

4,207 posts, read 15,250,942 times
That's an excellent question. I end up paying for guitar lessons for my son outside school and piano for the daughter. He really doesn't want to join the band to learn the tuba or trumpet. He really just likes the guitar acoustic or electric.

I would love to hear what others have to say and give a valid reason.

Naima

Old 06-16-2008, 01:41 PM

78 posts, read 296,974 times
They teach it in Jazz Bands in High School...Not exactly what you're asking for because you have to be in regular band to be in jazz band.

Old 06-16-2008, 02:45 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,832,630 times
pianos are expensive and take up lot of space
keyboards might be feasible but eventually you need to play for an audience to get the return on the district's money
they want show
most schools have bands --plus pianos and guitars don't march in bands--they need bands more than orchestras although many bands turn into orchestras in some districts
and most orchestras have 1 piano and don't have guitars even if there are orchestral pieces which feature guitar

guitars are little more doeable for size and cost but from what I understand guitars are VERY difficult to learn

the HEB district has Suzuki Strings classes as part of their magnet program for elementary students
and I don't know what happens when they get to jr high after taking it in elementary school
it is not open enrollment class--limited numbers and kids are selected based on criteria

Old 06-16-2008, 03:40 PM

1,067 posts, read 5,653,319 times
I think it would be wonderful if they taught piano and guitar starting in grade school. The younger a person is, the better for them to absorb it in and for it to become very natural. I also wish they would teach foreign language in elementary as well here, and feel the same about it being very natural for them if they start young. When I went to college and took spanish, I struggled but passed and feel the younger it is taught, the better. I believe music and languages can open up the mind to do academic subjects much better. jmo

Old 06-16-2008, 03:48 PM

1,101 posts, read 4,328,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RN7676 View Post
Why can't kids learn piano or guitar in public school?
I would say it's because piano and guitar are primarily solo or small ensemble instruments, and are not particularly amenable to large classes. This would require more teaching resources.

Old 06-16-2008, 03:52 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,858,565 times
Well, at my oldest daughters Garland Elem school they DID have piano lessons offered thru the school in the after school Explorer Classes starting in 2nd grade. In 1st grade on up they could try out for advanced art or music and then be in those classes instead of the regular art or music class. In 4th grade they were REQUIRED to be in either choir or orchestra. Now in middle school the band does offer guitar, keyboard & piano in the jazz bands. I wanted mine to learn the Harp but she had other plans. They pick 2 harpist starting in 4th grade for the orchestra.

It IS out there you just have to go find it where you least expect it

PS, they also started getting Spanish lessons in kindergarten. Come middle school they have the choice of Spanish or French.

Old 06-16-2008, 05:48 PM

6,578 posts, read 25,456,658 times
When my son was in public school, kids could take afterschool piano classes for a fee. It was a group class - like 6 or 7 kids and started in 2nd grade.

Old 06-17-2008, 04:42 AM

17,002 posts, read 12,583,387 times
Piano and guitar would vastly increase interest in music classes. And above is right on. Keyboard for learning vs actual pianos. Purists will hate it but a keyboard has less maintenance. Kids can get a complete electric guitar from Walmart inc amp for $100.00. You can get a decent electric guitar later if the kid sticks with it for a year.

My interest in trumpet lasted... uh 4 weeks!?!??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: