Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2008, 09:17 PM

5,406 posts, read 13,277,589 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post
Like they say, everythings bigger in Texas.

I found one of those BIG ones once when I was living in an apartment. I literally had a panic attack when I found it. I couldn't breath I was so shocked. I had NEVER seen anything like it.

If it had commenced to fly up out of the sink, I might have fainted on the spot I tell you.
I'm laughing so hard, I'm crying. Your description is so funny. I know it wasn't funny for you, but I love your post. Thanks for a hearty laugh for this evening. Too hysterical. I know what you mean. When I moved to TX from CA and saw my very first roach, I nearly ran out the door, one of those fright and flight episodes.

Old 06-17-2008, 11:48 PM

6,588 posts, read 17,550,899 times
Well, shoot, there goes my chance of ever moving to Dallas! (Sorry, I couldn't resist.)

I don't do bugs, either. I was looking for an apartment once, and the manager actually showed me a unit that had just been sprayed - dead roaches all over the counters!!! Just the fact that she was willing to even show a unit in such condition to a potential renter was a huge red flag for me!

Old 06-17-2008, 11:54 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,437,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyCo View Post
Well, shoot, there goes my chance of ever moving to Dallas! (Sorry, I couldn't resist.)

I don't do bugs, either. I was looking for an apartment once, and the manager actually showed me a unit that had just been sprayed - dead roaches all over the counters!!! Just the fact that she was willing to even show a unit in such condition to a potential renter was a huge red flag for me!
Well let me tell you, when a bug is big enough to aim a gun at it and shoot it, its just too d**n big, thats what you'll find in Texas. I love the state but it has to be said. Don't get me started about the terantualas there. I mean honestly, those things were big enough to aim a car at and run over, they say its best to slam on the brakes right as your tire is over the spider to make sure its good and dead. Then of course we have the stinging scorpions, did you know they mate for life and if you find ONE in your place, his partner isn't far behind?? NICE.

Old 06-18-2008, 01:26 AM

539 posts, read 1,804,742 times
I think that everywhere that there is high humidity has these things. It's not that your house is dirty, they just move in sometimes. (Cracks in doors/windows, water pipes, the weep hole between the bottom row of bricks) I had experience with them durring college in Hawaii. Our dorms looked like an episode of Fear Factor. They're pretty bold but I don't think that they bite.

Old 06-18-2008, 07:15 AM

563 posts, read 3,743,451 times
So Episode two of Fear Factor : Drowning in Roaches . .
Thanks for all the advice. So it doesn't sound like my slightly slovenly lifestyle has anything to do with it I've still scrubbed my kitchen clean and am using dishes only from my dishwasher until I have a chance to scrub out the kitchen cupboards.
This IS an older house and we have huge red oaks in the north and south yards.
I'm very relieved to hear that you can actually control these monsters. Since the house is new to us I wasn't sure if we ended up buying something with an infestation that hatched in the spring. UGH.!!!!!

Old 06-18-2008, 07:44 AM

670 posts, read 2,999,222 times
LOL well after spending probably 10-15 years of my life in Southern Louisiana and the year in hell (Georgia) I have yet to see a "big" roach here. I hate them. I hate all bugs though and yet my husband (degree in biology yet works in IT go figure) is one of those "let the bug free" type people in the yard EXCEPT FOR roaches (he hates them too). Meanwhile I kill and vacuum up EVERYTHING. I figure you don't pay the mortgage, you don't live in my house unless you're one of my children or adopted animals/fish.

Old 06-18-2008, 08:04 AM

82 posts, read 269,883 times
Default Lol

I'm one of those people who wouldn't hurt a fly, but those dang roaches scare the living crap outta me. Growing up in Houston I remember having to check my shoes before putting them on - they had an affinity for hiding in the toes of shoes. HOWEVER, we just got back from St. Lucia and you would NOT believe THOSE roaches. THey hopped, instead of flew (like Texan roaches) and they were not scared of s**t. I don't know, something that has managed to evolve and stick around for centuries just doesn't seem right.

Old 06-18-2008, 08:09 AM

5,760 posts, read 11,546,851 times
We bounce the baby's butt on them. Makes for great sport.

We see maybe one a week. The older kids watch for them and yell so we can do the drill.

Hey now, before you call CPS, the kid has a fat butt, so it just a natural and beautiful thing, and everybody including the baby laughs about it.

Old 06-18-2008, 08:18 AM

670 posts, read 2,999,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip T View Post
We bounce the baby's butt on them. Makes for great sport.

We see maybe one a week. The older kids watch for them and yell so we can do the drill.

Hey now, before you call CPS, the kid has a fat butt, so it just a natural and beautiful thing, and everybody including the baby laughs about it.

LOL.

Our "funny" roach story has to do with the kids too. My husband was trying to show them bugs are not scary by holding like a daddy long legs and handing it to them, a rolly polly another time and what not. ANYWAY I think it was our daughter that came in CARRYING A ROACH and playing with it, so proud to show her daddy. She was around 3 and mommy wasn't amused.

Old 06-18-2008, 11:34 AM

1,298 posts, read 4,287,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USA_Mom View Post
Meanwhile I kill and vacuum up EVERYTHING. I figure you don't pay the mortgage, you don't live in my house unless you're one of my children or adopted animals/fish.
LOL!!!

When my parents lived in Wichita Falls when I was a baby, my mama once told me that she woke in the middle of the night finding one in her hand.

usamom, I would have freaked too if my daughter had come in carrying one!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas