U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2008, 11:40 AM

15,955 posts, read 25,114,548 times
I have seen one tarantula up at Lake Texoma and a scorpion once in Fort Worth but I have never seen them in Dallas. We do have the roaches, yep - but they don't fly here as a rule - I think I saw one sort of try to fly once - but the Houston variety really freaked me as they flew before I could crunch them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2008, 02:43 PM

14,874 posts, read 22,626,437 times
Bookworm, I hate to tell ya this but the dishwasher ain't safe either. I will NEVER forget the first apartment my then boyfriend (now husband) rented over in Arlington. He took me by one evening and we walked in and turned on the light in the kitchen and they were EVERYWHERE including the dishwasher. It was UTTERLY DISGUSTING!!! I tried to do my best June Cleaver to clean that place up but w/ 3 college guys living in it I was fighting a losing battle especially since I lived in Denton at the time.

We have a pest service that comes every 3 months (or unless I call them if signs of "trouble" sooner) and we don't have any problems. They can be in old and new homes. People put their stuff in boxes and might store it for awhile and they like to live there. Whenever they move into their house they brought the uninvited guests with them. I ALWAYS put out those roach bait stations under ALL sinks and in the garage BEFORE we ever move into a house. One time us neighbors started seeing large roaches appearing. It was right after a house that had gotten just flat out filthy got foreclosed on and the bank came in and sprayed. THANKS !!!

Yes, they do come up the drain pipes so you might find a dead one in the shower or bathtub IF you use a service regularly. If one of those awful things gets in this house it is dead before it can take 2 steps because of it.

Now, funny story concerning roaches and myself. We were on a ski trip in Colorado and staying at this very hold Historical hotel. No shower in our room and only a tub and this bathroom was shared by us and the other couple we were with (basically two bedrooms w/ a bathroom in the middle and not much more). I'm in the tub and all of a sudden I THOUGHT I saw something stick out of the water faucet in the tub. I stared straight at that faucet to see if I saw it again. Sure enough it poked its head out even more and started to come on out. I had shampoo in my hair and I did not care nor did I care who saw me. I came flying out of that bathroom w/ a towel barely wrapped around me and not even dried off. It was THE grossest thing EVER! I kept thinking what if I had my head under the faucet rinsing out my hair and THAT NASTY THING dropped down onto my face or into my hair. I would have been running down the hallway starck naked I'm sure.

Old 06-18-2008, 03:31 PM

670 posts, read 1,988,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
Now, funny story concerning roaches and myself. We were on a ski trip in Colorado and staying at this very hold Historical hotel. No shower in our room and only a tub and this bathroom was shared by us and the other couple we were with (basically two bedrooms w/ a bathroom in the middle and not much more). I'm in the tub and all of a sudden I THOUGHT I saw something stick out of the water faucet in the tub. I stared straight at that faucet to see if I saw it again. Sure enough it poked its head out even more and started to come on out. I had shampoo in my hair and I did not care nor did I care who saw me. I came flying out of that bathroom w/ a towel barely wrapped around me and not even dried off. It was THE grossest thing EVER! I kept thinking what if I had my head under the faucet rinsing out my hair and THAT NASTY THING dropped down onto my face or into my hair. I would have been running down the hallway starck naked I'm sure.
Okay I don't know if that'd be funny or terrifying

Old 06-18-2008, 03:46 PM

14,874 posts, read 22,626,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USA_Mom View Post
Okay I don't know if that'd be funny or terrifying
It would be terrifying for others to see me running down the hotel corridor butt naked and screaming

Oh, this hotel was supposed to be haunted.

Old 06-18-2008, 03:57 PM

563 posts, read 2,503,288 times
Quote:

I think I could handle a ghost better than a roach making advances at me in the shower!! Thanks for the dishwasher tip. Now I'm reduced to paper plates kept tied tight in a bag. I haven't seen anymore of them but that may be due to the face that I 've only opened one kitchen cabinet today and am tiptoeing through the kitchen like a big chicken. My kids haven't caught on yet why mom isnt cooking up a storm for once! Not that they mind microwaved chicken nuggets and frozen pizza!

Old 06-18-2008, 04:45 PM

670 posts, read 1,988,929 times
Quote:
It would be terrifying for others to see me running down the hotel corridor butt naked and screaming

Don't worry Bookworm you can get a hazmat suit and start cooking again

Old 06-18-2008, 05:32 PM

8,640 posts, read 14,278,087 times
Default Do this...

My recommendation~ go out and buy some Combat roach disks (bait stations.) I would buy the kind for small and large roaches. Get 2 or more boxes of each kind and put them out at your house. My experience has been that this is highly effective. (I worked for several years as a pest control company receptionist, but IMHO, the bait stations work even better than a professional extermination.)

Old 06-18-2008, 05:57 PM

441 posts, read 1,083,406 times
When the gas prices get real high we saddle them and ride to work.

Old 06-18-2008, 06:25 PM

5,063 posts, read 9,864,995 times
This is one of those stories that is definitely better to retell than to live through! Of course, my question is, how did you rinse off your hair? Was there a bathroom sink or something you could use?

I also would have been flying down the hall if I saw something like that! Wow.

Quote:

Old 06-18-2008, 06:34 PM

4 posts, read 4,852 times
Smile Hi from California

I moved here in 2005. Bought a house in Mckinney TX. I haven't seen a roach since I've been here. What I hate is the wasps. But after spraying my yard every two months with that NO Bugs Back Yard, even the wasps amd misquitos stay away. That is really good stuff. Roaches ??? Haven't seen any yet. Where abouts in TX do you live?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas