U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2012, 11:30 AM

2,277 posts, read 2,352,858 times

Advertisements

Rats...I just realized I responded to an old as hell thread..Oh well good information for anyone else with this problem!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2012, 06:34 PM

1 posts, read 1,074 times
I have a problem with ants in the pool everyday !! I am so tired of them I don't see any mounds or ant hills anywhere. But they blend in with the stones around the pool and they crawl down the inside and are all over the top of the water in the pool. I worry about what I can use because of the toxic stuff you would use when you don't have a pool . Any help would be so Great !!!

Cindy
Florida

Old 12-06-2012, 01:39 PM

85 posts, read 79,350 times
This is a little off-topic, but what do people in the DFW area do with their pools over the winter months? Drain? Cover? Nothing?

Old 12-10-2012, 01:17 PM

549 posts, read 620,466 times
If they're heated, the swim in them (like a few of the neighbors - but mostly the kiddos). The "older" folks in the neighborhood just cover their pool.

Old 12-10-2012, 06:49 PM

18,412 posts, read 17,141,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deeliz View Post
This is a little off-topic, but what do people in the DFW area do with their pools over the winter months? Drain? Cover? Nothing?
You never drain an in-ground pool. You keep the leaves out of it and check the chemicals just like in the summer. The pumps come on when the temperature drops into the 30's.

Old 12-10-2012, 06:58 PM

3,488 posts, read 3,137,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deeliz View Post
Nothing changes from summer to winter for my pool. We have an automated pump switch that turns it on in the winter when we get near freezing so it handles that itself....but my pool guy comes and does the same thing summer and winter, or at least he charges me the same winter or summer....

Old 12-10-2012, 09:40 PM

18,412 posts, read 17,141,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnhw2 View Post
Nothing changes from summer to winter for my pool. We have an automated pump switch that turns it on in the winter when we get near freezing so it handles that itself........
Hint: Your pool pump that you have come on in the day.... switch them into running at night. That way they don't run in the day and then at night when they come on due to cold weather.

It cuts down on your pump wear and electricity.

Old 12-10-2012, 09:51 PM

3,488 posts, read 3,137,072 times
Thanks! We run it afternoon into the early evening summers so will switch it as you suggest!

Old 05-12-2013, 07:14 AM

176 posts, read 182,161 times
Renewing this old thread on ants in the pool. We just opened ours for the 2nd season, and this year we're finding floating clumps of fire ants. I've been researching it and find no difinite way to stop them. I cannot understand what would draw them to march into a pool and make an ant island, and if anyone has any new advice I would be interested to learn more. It's an IG salt water pool, around 40000 gallons, concrete surround. With fire ants. Ick.

Old 06-19-2013, 02:44 PM

1 posts, read 744 times
I use a spray bottle with 3tsp dawn, 3tsp apple cider vinegar and 3tsp of lemon juice. fill bottle with water first. shake bottle and spray on pool. seem to get rid of them. I also spray the edge of the pool.
Denny
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas