Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2008, 10:48 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,474,655 times

Advertisements

it is more expensive to build a pool deep enough to dive in---
most new pools are shallow "play" pools for that reason
some people won't buy a house with a play pool because they want a deeper pool--teens love diving...
you should have a fence around your pool and never leave your chidlren in water by themselves anyway
definitely recommend NOT changing out the pool--you are paying for TWO pools if you do that...
salt water pools have less cost for normal maintenance and supposedly are more user-friendly since there is no harsh chlorine to damage eyes, hair, suits--but some people have found there are problems with salt water systems--
no pool system is "problem" free...
read posts on this board for other discussions of salt water pools and google for other sites...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2008, 01:18 PM

1,533 posts, read 7,210,769 times
I would also go with a pool cover, and gate. Also never keep any sort of toys of floating things in pools when you aren't around. Many times when kids fall in they are trying to reach for something in the pool.

Old 06-22-2008, 10:42 AM

3,041 posts, read 11,838,591 times
All good advice.
In a few short years your little one will be a fish and wanting to jump/flip/dive in the pool and deeper is better and extends the life of pool time.

1st and formost get your alarms. door and pool ones.
Put the latch flip bolts on the back door..cheap and very useful.
Then fence off the pool, a much cheaper and realistic propostion than re-doing the pool.

Get the kids in the water safty class...I saw this on the news and was AMAZED that babies can learn to flip themselves over and float when put in the water...truely amazing.
Can't think of the name..water babies or something.

Buy good PFD's, make a habit of having your kids wear them in the pool until they are good swimmers.

I was a WSI instructor for years, all my kids had to pass my "accident" test before the end of the lessons. Done FULLY clothed, you'd be amazed at how heavy clothes and shoes are when wet. That was I had them close thier eyes and spun them around, and pushed them in the pool (deep end), they had to get safly to the side and out of the pool. If they could do this then they knew not to panic if they fell in etc...esp with clothes on, and could safely get to the side. Treading water fully clothed in deep water is a life long tool and I've taught kids as young as 3 to this in a very short time.

Old 06-22-2008, 11:45 AM
aeh

318 posts, read 1,617,198 times
I agree. When my kids were taking swimming lessons, we noticed they weren't progressing very much at this one pool, which wasn't very deep. Then we heard that the best place for kids to learn to swim is the deep pools because they can't touch the bottom and they HAVE to learn to swim.

Old 06-23-2008, 07:18 PM

8 posts, read 35,678 times
I'm sure people has already pointed out the fact that a child can drown in as little as a few inches of water. So this wouldn't do you any good without filling in the whole pool.

Personaly I would install a fence around the pool and enroll your kids in swim lessons. This is what we've done and it's turned out really well. Our son seems to be part fish and always asking for us to open the pool up for him. Another good reason to install a fence is to help protect yours kids friends. Just because your kids knows how to swim, doesn't means others do.

This is the only picture I have off hand of my pool with a fence...please ignore the dirt. I took this picture after a 75mph dust storm but you can still see enough of the fence.

Old 07-08-2008, 10:03 PM

4 posts, read 21,461 times
My hubby and I are on our second pool home. We ended up redoing the pool at our previous house because it was 12 feet deep, and we preferred it for lap swimming. If you can handle the cost, I would seriously consider a remodel and have it raised. We raised ours to 6 feet and it brought much peace of mind. Also, we've installed pool fences on both pools we've owned; it just seems like common sense. Finally, we love our saline system. We tried chlorine (on both pools), but now that we've switched to salt, we will never go back. As for kid safety, keep in mind that any flotation devices give a child a sense of false security. Both of my kids were swimming at age 3, but we will always have a "buddy" rule and no child enters the water without an adult. Just some things to think about.

Old 07-09-2008, 09:48 AM

134 posts, read 1,219,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by srmomo View Post
My hubby and I are on our second pool home. We ended up redoing the pool at our previous house because it was 12 feet deep, and we preferred it for lap swimming. If you can handle the cost, I would seriously consider a remodel and have it raised. We raised ours to 6 feet and it brought much peace of mind. Also, we've installed pool fences on both pools we've owned; it just seems like common sense. Finally, we love our saline system. We tried chlorine (on both pools), but now that we've switched to salt, we will never go back. As for kid safety, keep in mind that any flotation devices give a child a sense of false security. Both of my kids were swimming at age 3, but we will always have a "buddy" rule and no child enters the water without an adult. Just some things to think about.
Fencing a pool where small children are present should be a requirement for safety. One wonders if such a fence was in place at the home in this story if this tragedy that happened yesterday would have been avoided. Hoping they can at least save the second child who is now critical. The older child didn't make it. I can't begin to imagine the pain this dad must be going through at the moment. Toddler Dead, Sister Hospitalized After Falling In Pool - News - MSNBC.com (broken link)

Old 07-09-2008, 09:58 AM

3,041 posts, read 11,838,591 times
such a sad story.

But, yes, a fence is a must. and fencing off the pool area from the house and play area as well. It's a little inconvienient for adults but with small children a must. Also having the gate latch on the inside (and adult height) so you have to reach over to open the gate.
Little things like this can make a huge difference.

And for the poster who feels safer with 6ft versus 12ft...well that's kinda a moot point. and a false sense of security. TO a small child 3ft is just as dangerous as 12ft. As others have stated it only takes 2 inches of water to drown.

Having a DEEP end has nothing to do with pool safty, I feel "play pools" 4ft and under pose a greater danger because of the false sense of securty it give parents... They become less vilgant etc...

Old 07-09-2008, 11:17 AM

134 posts, read 1,219,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5stones View Post
such a sad story.

But, yes, a fence is a must. and fencing off the pool area from the house and play area as well. It's a little inconvienient for adults but with small children a must. Also having the gate latch on the inside (and adult height) so you have to reach over to open the gate.
Little things like this can make a huge difference.

And for the poster who feels safer with 6ft versus 12ft...well that's kinda a moot point. and a false sense of security. TO a small child 3ft is just as dangerous as 12ft. As others have stated it only takes 2 inches of water to drown.

Having a DEEP end has nothing to do with pool safty, I feel "play pools" 4ft and under pose a greater danger because of the false sense of securty it give parents... They become less vilgant etc...
As I read your reply I am wondering if the OP shouldn't first consider fencing the pool rather than attempting to fill in the deep end as there is no less danger in the shallow end than there is in the deep end to a small child.

Old 07-09-2008, 01:05 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,671,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5stones View Post

The shallow pool also has another danger especially as kids age. They and their friends want to jump in and do all kinds of "stunts". While they may be great swimmers a kid acting up and jumping in w/ enough force can hit the bottom much easier in a "play pool" and be knocked out. They want to jump off the decorative rocks, some still want to dive of sorts. All things that are likely to get them seriously hurt or worse. Having that extra depth can make a difference in safety then. Your kids are going to be older much longer than they are little bitty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: