Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2008, 02:14 PM

3,463 posts, read 7,306,337 times

Advertisements

I totally agree with those that have recommended keeping the deep end of the pool. I think if you permanently modified it you would end up being sorry you did.

I recommend that you consider a motorized pool cover to cover the entire pool. And when your small children are allowed to use the pool make sure that a responsible adult is always at pool-side with eyes wide open. Lastly, you should always have a fence around the property, which has a pool. Most local codes require a fence (of proper size and self-locking gate), and insurance companies usually do too.

Attached Thumbnails
Is there a safe way to close off the deep end of a pool?-145-4525_img.jpg   Is there a safe way to close off the deep end of a pool?-144-4448_img.jpg   Is there a safe way to close off the deep end of a pool?-144-4434_img.jpg   Is there a safe way to close off the deep end of a pool?-118-1881_img.jpg  

Last edited by Kootr; 07-09-2008 at 03:04 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2008, 10:15 AM

5,406 posts, read 13,277,589 times
I will never understand the point as to why anyone would want a pool with little children around. Accidents happen even with a fence because people may just forget to check the gate, leave a child unattended, and the list goes on. If a child can drown in a bathtub, why would anyone with common sense take the chance of having a pool with youngsters? I'm sorry, but it is just absolutely senseless to me. I don't care it there's a 20 foot fence around the pool....it's too dangerous because people make mistakes.....obviously, or we wouldn't have hundreds of drowing deaths every year.

From what I could see on the news, it looks like this pool had a wrought iron fence around it. Good grief, 3 years and 18 months having a pool..........pools and kids just don't mix. Tragic!

Old 07-10-2008, 10:37 AM

3,463 posts, read 7,306,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canine*Castle View Post
I will never understand the point as to why anyone would want a pool with little children around. Accidents happen even with a fence because people may just forget to check the gate, leave a child unattended, and the list goes on. If a child can drown in a bathtub, why would anyone with common sense take the chance of having a pool with youngsters? I'm sorry, but it is just absolutely senseless to me. I don't care it there's a 20 foot fence around the pool....it's too dangerous because people make mistakes.....obviously, or we wouldn't have hundreds of drowing deaths every year.

From what I could see on the news, it looks like this pool had a wrought iron fence around it. Good grief, 3 years and 18 months having a pool..........pools and kids just don't mix. Tragic!
Good grief, have you looked into how many injuries and deaths there are in automobiles? Let's see now, let's use your analogy - why would anyone with common sense take the chance of being in an automobile? I'm sorry, but it is just absolutely senseless to me. I don't care if the automobile is built like a Sherman Tank....it's too dangerous because people make mistakes.....obviously, or we wouldn't have THOUSANDS of deaths every year.

Have you looked into how many injuries and deaths there are associated with bicycles, falls, boating, skateboarding, skiing, soccer, football, baseball, hunting, etc., etc.

Really now - THINK!

Old 07-10-2008, 01:20 PM

446 posts, read 1,005,985 times
We just bought a house with a pool and have a 2 & 5 year old. We put a pool net in and love it...there is just no way for the kids to get at the water unless we're there and have taken it off. It's not hard to get on & off - it takes 10 minutes.

Old 07-10-2008, 01:39 PM

5,406 posts, read 13,277,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kooter View Post
Good grief, have you looked into how many injuries and deaths there are in automobiles? Let's see now, let's use your analogy - why would anyone with common sense take the chance of being in an automobile? I'm sorry, but it is just absolutely senseless to me. I don't care if the automobile is built like a Sherman Tank....it's too dangerous because people make mistakes.....obviously, or we wouldn't have THOUSANDS of deaths every year.

Have you looked into how many injuries and deaths there are associated with bicycles, falls, boating, skateboarding, skiing, soccer, football, baseball, hunting, etc., etc.

Really now - THINK!
I am thinking, and I'll still stick with what I said for children of that age. Your comparisons just don't fly right with me, but we're certainly entitled to our own opinions and feelings about similarities.

A vehicle or any of the other things you mentioned don't really compare to a pool in one's yard. A pool is not a necessity; a vehicle is. Possibly those with little children shouldn't live in two story houses either to prevent a fall down the stairs. That might be a better comparison for the swimming pool than playing football, baseball, skiing, skateboarding, hunting, et al. I would hope most toddlers are not playing rough sports while so young.

Obviously you have your view that a pool is fine with toddlers. It's quite apparent I wouldn't dream of having one in my yard with little ones around. It just isn't worth the risk. Happy swimming.

Last edited by Canine*Castle; 07-10-2008 at 01:50 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: