U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Thread summary:

TEA accountability ratings: academically acceptable school districts, test scores

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2008, 04:04 PM

3,578 posts, read 7,106,838 times
My question is just how important is a elite education to most parents. We all want our kids to have a great education but at what point to do above and beyond rational thinking. I simply think high achievers want there kids to be high achievers and will do what necessary to try and make that happen. Does your kids making a B instead of A draw your ire. Are you obsessed with them being in the top 10% of their class. Is going to college not enough or do they have to go to the right college. Just how much is future earning potential put above a kid choosing a profession that he or she really enjoys. My son is a A/B student and pretty well rounded. I simply want him to make a comfortable living and do something he enjoys. I doubt he becomes a doctor, lawyer or CEO but thats okay with me. Does that make me a bad parent or someone who is not pushing him to his potential. I live a comfortable life based on the life I had as a child but I am no where near a high achiever. I'm I the only one who feel this way
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2008, 05:18 PM

1,245 posts, read 1,846,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
On an individual basis this is not true, my perception is my reality on how I see the world & life in general. It may not be right but it is my reality.
Reality is independent of perception. The term "my reality" has no meaning. It is simply an incorrect way of saying my perception

Hamlet is a play in five acts by Shakespeare : Fact
Hamlet is greatly aclaimed: reality
Hamlet is over aclaimed: perception

Old 06-30-2008, 09:32 PM

14 posts, read 77,544 times
Default Amen

There is only ONE middle school in PISD that is rated exemplary and NONE of the 8 high schools are rated exemplary. Facts are facts. If you buy in and laude PISD when it's highly rated then justly accept that facts that by our sole system of "official" accountability ratings - PISD is no better (or worse) than Duncanville ISD.

Old 07-01-2008, 12:55 PM

119 posts, read 177,493 times
Duncanville ISD:
Duncanville High School - Acceptable
KENNEMER MIDDLE SCHOOL - Acceptable
GLENN C HARDIN INTERMEDIATE - Acceptable
GRACE R BRANDENBURG INTERMEDIAte - Acceptable
BOB DANIEL SR INTERMEDIATE - Acceptable
J HERMAN REED MIDDLE SCHOOL - Recognized
WILLIAM H BYRD MIDDLE SCHOOL - Acceptable

Plano ISD:
C M RICE MIDDLE - Exemplary
CAMPUS NAME: HENDRICK - Recognized
FRANKFORD MIDDLE - Recognized
ARMSTRONG MIDDLE - Recognized
HAGGARD MIDDLE - Recognized
MURPHY MIDDLE SCHOOL - Recognized
ROBINSON MIDDLE - Recognized
SCHIMELPFENIG MIDDLE - Recognized
BOWMAN MIDDLE - Acceptable
Renner MIDDLE - Acceptable
CARPENTER MIDDLE - Acceptable
Wilson MIDDLE - Acceptable
PLANO SR H S - Recognized
JASPER H S - Recognized
CLARK H S - Acceptable
SHEPTON H S - Acceptable
VINES H S - Acceptable
Williams H S - Acceptable
PLANO EAST SR H S - Acceptable
Plano West SR HS - Acceptable

Old 07-01-2008, 01:23 PM

15,917 posts, read 24,433,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
I tell my daughters that they NEED to know how to work w/ all kinds of people from every background. My husband employes people from all walks of life as well as customers from one end of the spectrum to the other. If you are going to be in ANY kind of management or working w/ the public, own a business, etc you are going to have to know how to work with people from every walk of life. If you grow up thinking your much higher above others just because they live in a lower end neighborhood, have a different color of skin, etc then you will NOT be a good leader.

I've told my kids the minute they start "expecting" anything more than their basic needs met is the second I'll jerk them up out of here and we will be living in a crappy apartment on the "bad side" of town. And I'll do it too.

There is one "rich kid" that I know of that is still working on his associate. His parents names are WELL known in the Dallas "high society". He has a job that does not require a college degree but he can go up further into the field w/ one. He is working on it but it is also a field he will NOT be making a killing in either. However, it is a field that he has every ounce of respect from me as I could not bear to do it as a mother and I've told him a million times if he needs ANYTHING or sees a need to let me know and I'll see what I can do. In fact there is a dire need all the time for people that CAN handle the job he has. He is one of the few though.

You're right - and it is one of the major tenents of "The Millionaire Next Door".

Old 07-01-2008, 01:36 PM

14,874 posts, read 21,738,199 times
2007 TEA Accountability Rankings

Application Dispatcher

GARLAND ISD

ABBETT EL Recognized
AUSTIN ACAD FOR EXCELL (Middle School) Recognized
B G HUDSON MIDDLE Academically Acceptable BACK EL Recognized
BEAVER TECHNOLOGY CENTER Recognized BRADFIELD EL Academically Acceptable BRANDENBURG MIDDLE Recognized BULLOCK EL Recognized
BUSSEY MIDDLE Academically Acceptable CALDWELL EL Recognized CENTERVILLE EL Academically Acceptable
CLUB HILL EL Academically Acceptable
COOPER EL Recognized
COYLE MIDDLE Academically Acceptable DAUGHERTY EL Academically Acceptable DAVIS EL Recognized
ETHRIDGE EL Recognized FREEMAN EL Recognized
GARLAND H S Academically Acceptable
GLEN COUCH EL Academically Acceptable GOLDEN MEADOWS EL Academically Acceptable HANDLEY EL Academically Acceptable HEATHER GLEN EL Academically Acceptable HERFURTH EL Academically Acceptable HICKMAN EL Academically Acceptable HILLSIDE ACAD FOR EXCEL Recognized JACKSON TECHNOLOGY CENTE Academically Acceptable JOHN W ARMSTRONG ELEMENTARY Recognized KATHERINE STEPHENS EL Academically Acceptable KEELEY EL Recognized
KIMBERLIN ACAD FOR EXCEL Exemplary LAKEVIEW CENTENNIAL H S Academically Acceptable
LUNA EL Recognized
LYLES MIDDLE Academically Acceptable MEMORIAL PREPARATORY SCH AEA: Academically Acceptable
MONTCLAIR EL Recognized
N GARLAND H S Academically Acceptable
NAAMAN FOREST H S Academically Acceptable
NITA PEARSON ELEMENTARY Recognized NORMA DORSEY EL Recognized NORTHLAKE EL Recognized O'BANION MIDDLE Academically Acceptable PARK CREST EL Academically Acceptable ROACH EL Recognized
ROBERT B SEWELL EL Academically Acceptable ROWLETT EL Academically Acceptable ROWLETT H S Academically Acceptable
S GARLAND H S Academically Acceptable
SACHSE H S Academically Acceptable
SAM HOUSTON MIDDLE Academically Acceptable SELLERS MIDDLE Recognized SHOREHAVEN EL Academically Acceptable SHUGART EL Academically Acceptable SOUTHGATE EL Academically Acceptable SPRING CREEK EL Academically Acceptable STEADHAM EL Recognized
TOLER EL Academically Acceptable
VERNAL LISTER EL Recognized
VERNON SCHRADE MIDDLE Academically Acceptable VIAL EL Recognized
WALNUT GLEN ACAD FOR EXCEL Exemplary WATSON TECHNOLOGY CENTER Recognized
WEAVER EL Recognized
WEBB MIDDLE Recognized WILLIAMS EL Recognized
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas