Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2007, 07:08 PM

1,883 posts, read 3,002,972 times

Advertisements

I've never heard of worrying about which direction your house faces.That is predetermined by the location of your lot,and there are nice homes facing every direction on the compass.It only affects windows,and they make opaque shades to solve that problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2007, 09:08 PM

3,035 posts, read 14,431,568 times
I hate red dining rooms and like carpet. I always decorate nuetral and have never had any problems selling anything I've owned.

In fact, if you look at model/spec homes, that's how I roll. Give me nuetral color and texture with a mix of solid floors and a nice high quality Friesze carpet....

I hate wallpaper.

I hate bright colors in rooms.

I hate when people think they can paint themselves and they get paint all over the moldings/chair rails.

I hate homemade tile jobs...

I'm picky....hence why it has taken me months and I'm still looking.

Now my problem is that I'm finding alot of homes I love, but they are on 55 foot lots. This leave 20 ft deep backyards.

The journey goes on....

Old 01-16-2007, 06:49 AM

1,560 posts, read 7,146,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY - Dallas View Post
Eeep. I cant eliminate south facing homes too
Well there's always the possibilty of living in a hole in the ground....

Old 01-16-2007, 06:51 AM

549 posts, read 2,194,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPadge View Post
Well there's always the possibilty of living in a hole in the ground....
Are these available in Frisco too?

Old 01-16-2007, 09:11 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,873,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twojciac View Post
Red is *the* color for dining rooms. It stimulates your appetite and the right shade of red looks elegant with the right flooring.

What's the obsession with carpet in dining rooms down here?
That is right. Red is IN for dining rooms. I have it in mine as do most of my neighbors. Carpet in the dining rooms - it is cheaper than wood. Since it gets less foot traffic than other areas it can handle the carpet. Mine has carpet . Next big home improvement project, wood floors in the dining room, family room and master bedroom. Then EVERYTHING downstairs will be wood , minus the bathrooms which are slate.

Old 01-16-2007, 09:19 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,873,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifertexan View Post
I've never heard of worrying about which direction your house faces.That is predetermined by the location of your lot,and there are nice homes facing every direction on the compass.It only affects windows,and they make opaque shades to solve that problem.
Me neither. My house actually faces Southward mostly and it can cause HORRIBLE wind drafts when someone opens both the front and back doors. ACK!!!!!!!!! We actually had to replace a back door and framing last year as that happened and when it did, BAM. You could hear the wood crack in the framing it hit so hard. Then for the windows you can always get them tinted. That makes the biggest difference. We have all of ours done and it helps. Then having the garage face north is more of a pain. That wind rips and it is AWFUL!!! I end up w/ a garage full of leaves, trash, etc.

On my street we have homes that face all directions and none have ever had a problem. Same w/ the neighorhood. I would not worry to much about which direction a home is facing as long as it does not look right out onto a highway, landfill, etc.

Old 01-16-2007, 02:24 PM

25 posts, read 108,937 times
Where i come from, south facing homes are actually considered a bad omen! But it has some science behind it, since back in the old days when there was no electricity, people had to depend on natural light for a lot of things & they could get maximum benifit when the houses faced either east/west. Although the north-east is supposed to be the prime location for the house to be facing. It has become like a superstition now. Just thought of sharing that with you all.

Old 01-16-2007, 06:45 PM

Let's pause this thread now and start it back up in August when it's 106 degrees for the 90th day in a row and the sun is up in the sky till 9pm and everyone is whinning that their west facing family room bakes all day long and causes the downstairs AC to work 24/7. Or your kids can't sleep at 8pm because the sun is baking their west facing bedrooms at 8pm at night (seriously, the sun seems to never go down in the summer).

Then we'll see threads about those giant black solar blankets people out here cover their windows with. The facing of your home is a big deal in a place that gets as much sun/heat as TX does in the summer.

Old 01-16-2007, 06:48 PM

From Real Estate school, SW facing is the most desirable and retail merchants pay more for SW facing property.

Also, for 'Fung Shei' (spelling?), the recommendation is North South.

Old 01-16-2007, 07:28 PM

1,883 posts, read 3,002,972 times
Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Let's pause this thread now and start it back up in August when it's 106 degrees for the 90th day in a row and the sun is up in the sky till 9pm and everyone is whinning that their west facing family room bakes all day long and causes the downstairs AC to work 24/7. Or your kids can't sleep at 8pm because the sun is baking their west facing bedrooms at 8pm at night (seriously, the sun seems to never go down in the summer).
I have lived in hot,(triple digit average in summer) west Texas for 47 years and have lived in houses that faced every direction,and have never had this problem.Nor have any of the custom builders I've worked for building million dollar homes ever worried about this.My house faces south,simply because the lot I liked fell that direction on the street,but the $ 500,000 house across the street,which is a costly house here,faces west,as do about 50 other houses in the same price range running down the block.This sounds like something the real estate people have come up.Some part of your house has to face west,and to not buy a nice,affordable house in a good neighborhood just because it faces west seems rather silly.It doesn't take a black tarp to block the evening sun,just some blinds and attractive drapes with an opaque backing on them.The house I grew up in with just a swamp cooler faced west and it was never an issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: