Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-28-2009, 12:52 PM

1,627 posts, read 6,504,000 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceplace View Post
Let's compare the degree of racism in Highland Park to the racism that exists in Arab countries.

Now nobody argues that EVERY arab wants to kill as many Americans as possible, but it is true that many of them do... and no other ethnic group appears to be that committed to exterminating us. So Arab highjackers go through a plane and cut the throat of any non-Arab with an American passport.

I doubt that Highland Park contains very many young men who will martyr themselves to kill as many African-Americans as possible.
Wow. Well, that's hugely racist against Arabs based on what a few Islamic Militants do, and obviously not the criteria on which most would base a decision whether to live in HP.

Old 09-28-2009, 01:04 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,155,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grainraiser View Post
The town itself has a racist past and in my personal opinion they have not done much to change it. Having said that I don't believe the majority of the residents are racist.
I agree with this assessment, except I am not sure you can say the majority is not racist since there has been no effort to diversify the schools the way the elite privates (St.Mark's, Hockaday) have...I know a columnist who made that suggestion and then received death threats.

As for Seattle and Portland it's a bit of the same - they are good at talking the talk about being open to all races; however they do not put that into practice by living in a diverse city. I've heard a lot of Canadians express opinions that Texans and Southerners are racist yet most Canadians do not live around blacks or other minorities.

Old 09-28-2009, 01:07 PM

40,952 posts, read 49,176,191 times
Is Highland Park racist?

Let's rephrase this question.... Is South or east Dallas Racists ?

Yes & No, we all have our prejudices which sometime spill over to racism.

Racism come is all colors, all areas. Tell me I'm wrong.

Old 09-28-2009, 01:18 PM

11,431 posts, read 18,997,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ldrrh View Post
My mother, a Ph.D, was in search of a house here in Dallas, moving from Atlanta, GA. The realtor was so very nice and had excellent communication over the phone. She quoted my mother the price over the phone and stated that the owners were eager to meet her and the house had been on the market for a while. Well, when my mother got here and went to meet the realtor, the realtor was shocked. She then stated that she needed to get back with the owners, that she believed someone had already put in paperwork and claimed that they had some extra work done ,which will up the price of the house. Needless to say, my mother did not "sound" like a black person over the phone and the realtor obviously assumed she was not. My mother did not purchase the house and reported the realtor who was released from the company she was with because my mother threatened to sue. I believe HP has a problem with blacks, no matter what your educational background.
I am SO glad that your mother took that action against the realtors! I wonder if there are ANY black homeowners in the park cities at all? I'm pretty sure that all of the natives know better.

Old 09-28-2009, 01:45 PM

1,382 posts, read 2,385,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip T View Post
I bounce in and out of the upper-end and hard South ('hood, as it were)

Here is what I have seen -- The cut is not based on race, so much as money and manners.

You step in and play the game at the level the game is played and are well-spoken and well-mannered (including the relatives who show up on holidays, and all) and you will be generally welcome. If not, way not.
Real instances of racism are incredibly rare.
However, a negative reaction to inappropriate behavior is often misidentified as just that.
Sometimes intentionally so.
Philip T has nailed it.
Nothing more needs to be said.

Old 09-28-2009, 02:52 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,155,936 times
However, the HP people claim to have manners but will cut a person, his job, his school or his home down on the spot.

Old 09-29-2009, 07:42 AM

2,231 posts, read 6,067,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frogandtoad View Post
Wow. Well, that's hugely racist against Arabs based on what a few Islamic Militants do, and obviously not the criteria on which most would base a decision whether to live in HP.
You mean it is racist to identify racism in some other society? Balderdash.

I'd apply a pretty strict definition to the term "racism". It's a lot more extreme than just preferring to associate with people like yourself, or even common xenophobia. Racism is armed, violent conflict, for the purpose of exterminating another society.

The arab middle east is a perfect example of racial divide... the willingness, in a significant part of the population, to kill others because they are dissimilar to oneself.

If that is what racism is, thenn Highland Park is not racist. I'd see no particular willingness among, say, the boys in Highland Park high school, to walk into an African American night club with explosives strapped to their backs.

Old 09-29-2009, 08:19 AM

58 posts, read 307,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG99 View Post
I just dont like the towns/cities where the majority of the population is black.
Do you feel the same way about towns that are majority white?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
Two! Three!
"One, two, three - THAT'S ENOUGH! This isn't Harlem!" - DL Hughley

Old 09-29-2009, 09:15 AM

1,627 posts, read 6,504,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aceplace View Post
You mean it is racist to identify racism in some other society? Balderdash.

I'd apply a pretty strict definition to the term "racism". It's a lot more extreme than just preferring to associate with people like yourself, or even common xenophobia. Racism is armed, violent conflict, for the purpose of exterminating another society.

The arab middle east is a perfect example of racial divide... the willingness, in a significant part of the population, to kill others because they are dissimilar to oneself.

If that is what racism is, thenn Highland Park is not racist. I'd see no particular willingness among, say, the boys in Highland Park high school, to walk into an African American night club with explosives strapped to their backs.
Main Entry: rac·ism
Pronunciation: \ˈrā-ˌsi-zəm also -ˌshi-\
Function: noun
1 : a belief that race is the primary determinant of human traits and capacities and that racial differences produce an inherent superiority of a particular race
2 : racial prejudice or discrimination

I'm going to back out of this conversation now, it's getting ridiculous.

Old 09-29-2009, 11:57 AM

2,231 posts, read 6,067,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frogandtoad View Post
Main Entry: rac·ism
Pronunciation: \ˈrā-ˌsi-zəm also -ˌshi-\
Function: noun
1 : a belief that race is the primary determinant of human traits and capacities and that racial differences produce an inherent superiority of a particular race
2 : racial prejudice or discrimination

I'm going to back out of this conversation now, it's getting ridiculous.
Worrying about lynchings and the KKK in Highland Park is ridiculous. African genocide is serious.

Actually, you forgot about definition # 3: opposing the political agenda of an African-American president.

Probably the silliest, most absurd concept that the liberal ideology has come up with is the idea of "racism". Ironically, their primary support comes from a bloc vote that is based on a racial category... either black or Hispanic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas