Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-23-2009, 09:38 PM

2,256 posts, read 9,761,000 times

Advertisements

Some stories and news items from the Park Cities:

But amid the chaos of the ensuing weeks, the two families – one white and affluent, the other black and middle class – forged a deep bond that has surpassed the limits of mere friendship.
University Park woman takes in family fleeing a hurricane, for the second time | News for Dallas, Texas | Dallas Morning News | Breaking News for Dallas-Fort Worth | Dallas Morning News (http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/news/localnews/stories/090208dnmetmccrayfamily.3f1f7c9.html - broken link)

For the first time in its 23 years of community service, La Fiesta de las Seis Banderas committed $15,000 to the Highland Park High School chapter of Habitat for Humanity to help the student organization construct a home for Doris Stonum and her daughter, Ashley.
La Fiesta Helps Construct Home | Articles & Archives | Park Cities People serving the communities of Highland Park, University Park, and Turtle Creek (http://www.peoplenewspapers.com/ME2/Audiences/dirmod.asp?sid=&nm=&type=Publishing&mod=Publicatio ns%3A%3AArticle&mid=8F3A7027421841978F18BE895F87F7 91&tier=4&id=979944318C4C4125BF6AE13A3FF9A7E1&AudI D=DA7D68F24889442D98449D08560D8327 - broken link)

Neema Kimathi reacts to being named prom queen of the Highland Park High School Prom at the Belo Mansion.
Park Cities Neighborhood Pictures 4/27/07 | Slide Show Titles/Pages | Park Cities People serving the communities of Highland Park, University Park, and Turtle Creek (http://www.peoplenewspapers.com/ME2/Audiences/dirmod.asp?sid=&nm=&type=SlideShow&mod=Design%3A%3 ASlide+Show+Titles&mid=C2C52131592148DFADC1450BF8A 03C9A&id=8BAE00ABCCA3417AAF4FEEEA5EB4257C&AudID=DA 7D68F24889442D98449D08560D8327&tier=3&p=7 - broken link)

Friends and family cheered with sheer delight in Dallas, Los Angeles and around the world Sunday night as Mylan walked onstage to accept the Oscar for her documentary "Smile Pinki," a story about a young girl from rural India whose life was changed after her cleft palate was repaired.
http://archive.constantcontact.com/f...480587247.html

HPHS Science Team Continues Winning Streak
HPHS Science Team Continues Winning Streak | Articles & Archives | Park Cities People serving the communities of Highland Park, University Park, and Turtle Creek (http://www.peoplenewspapers.com/ME2/Audiences/dirmod.asp?sid=&nm=&type=Publishing&mod=Publicatio ns%3A%3AArticle&mid=8F3A7027421841978F18BE895F87F7 91&tier=4&id=E16A7FFE12CF45EC9E92D219A3D0A4E3&AudI D=DA7D68F24889442D98449D08560D8327 - broken link)

Old 09-24-2009, 07:37 AM

9,418 posts, read 13,494,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frogandtoad View Post
OK, but I still have not heard anything which points to racism. I can certainly see that blacks may choose not to live in HP because they don't want to be THAT much of a minority, so it may not be that there is anything going on towards blacks, you know? I mean, I would not go live in an all-Chinese neighborhood. I just wouldn't want to be the ONE white person there. It could be the same with this. Or there could be racism, I don't know, I just still haven't heard anything that suggests to me there is racism in 2009 there. If there is, please do tell me, I do want to know. I just don't want to assume racism just b/c an area is all white, any more than I would assume racism in an all-Chinese area, or all Black area, etc. Races other than the dominant might just prefer to live with more diversity.

It was the "mexicans are tolerated b/c they have a good work ethic" that I thought sounded off. I mean, that sounds like a. It's implying that blacks aren't tolerated because they DON'T have a good work ethic (which sounds racist to me to group an entire race like that) and b. It sounds like you're saying if you met a Mexican person, you'd pretty much assume they are nannies or housecleaners. And while there may be a lot of Mexicans filling those jobs in HP, to assume someone is that b/c they are Mexican? It just sounds off to me, they could be university-educated professors at SMU. Are they tolerated? Or only Mexican nannies with good work ethics? See what I'm saying?

Anyway, I'm not trying to start a firestorm, just trying to find out what specifically makes someone who says HP is racist believe that. Like I said, I've come in contact with a lot more issues in diverse areas we've lived so being in a diverse area doesn't necessarily mean there is no racism. And I'm not going to assume there is not racism because an area is all white. Until I hear WHY.
I understand what you're saying. I wish I could help, but things have changed (for the better) so much that even if people are racist, they keep it to themselves for the most part. I can only speak of the past that I know of (mostly the 1970s), the Park Cities were notoriously racist then. This was even spoken of by other whites. I don't recall people using the term DWB (driving while black) back then like you hear now, but it was common for black people to get pulled over while driving through UP and HP back then, usually at night but not always. Going from south to north in Dallas, that area can be a bit difficult to avoid!
Maybe to younger people that seems so long ago that they don't even think about it, but to those of us who were alive then, it seems like it was yesterday.
As for now, I don't know. I don't know if a black family would feel welcomed there or not. It pretty insular, I'm not sure if I would feel welcomed there!

Old 09-24-2009, 09:11 AM

2,531 posts, read 6,249,581 times
Quote:
It was the "mexicans are tolerated b/c they have a good work ethic" that I thought sounded off. I mean, that sounds like a. It's implying that blacks aren't tolerated because they DON'T have a good work ethic (which sounds racist to me to group an entire race like that) and b. It sounds like you're saying if you met a Mexican person, you'd pretty much assume they are nannies or housecleaners.

That particular poster is known for his disdain for African-Americans on this board, so no surprise that stood out to you.

Old 09-24-2009, 09:14 AM

1,627 posts, read 6,504,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grindin View Post
That particular poster is known for his disdain for African-Americans on this board, so no surprise that stood out to you.
When I first read this I thought you were saying that about ME!! Yikes!!

Thanks for all the feedback, I appreciate it!! I don't know what we'll do, but I do feel better informed now.

Old 09-24-2009, 10:34 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,739,757 times
frogandtoad:

I have an Uncle Im very close with who lives in Highland Park and sends his kids to HPISD. I asked him his opinion on race in Highland Park and he told me that back in the 60's there was a very large effort to keep the neighborhood only white. That continued until the beginning of the 70's. Eventually around the 80's as more affluent African Americans and Latinos came to Dallas, the community came to terms with the fact that minorites would move into the neighborhood.

Now the attitude has shifted according to him. The attitude now is not to try and keep people out based on race, but to keep people out based on socioeconomic status. In other words, they would rather have affluent African-Americans or Latinos than middle class whites. However the place is still overwhelmingly white so most minorities have no interest in it because they dont want to feel like the only ones there (similar to the all Chinese example you gave).

Now thats what my Uncle who has lived there for 20 years had to say. However, I personally couldnt live there. I have a high need for diversity. I dont want to live in a place where everyone is one kind of person. Dallas is a very very diverse place. There are other upper class neighborhoods that would probably fit you too.

Old 09-24-2009, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnative10 View Post
There are other upper class neighborhoods that would probably fit you too.
Such as? Any input would be great.

Would need to have excellent schools and both house and neighborhood with some character. I do not want an enormous house, and this has been a problem in my searches. I am fine with 3,500-4,000 sq. ft. with really nice finishes and for sure nothing over 5,000 sf (at the outside--I really don't even want something that big). I feel like most places when I go up in price, the sq. footage just keeps going up!

Old 09-24-2009, 11:43 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,739,757 times
Quote:
Such as? Any input would be great.

Would need to have excellent schools and both house and neighborhood with some character. I do not want an enormous house, and this has been a problem in my searches. I am fine with 3,500-4,000 sq. ft. with really nice finishes and for sure nothing over 5,000 sf (at the outside--I really don't even want something that big). I feel like most places when I go up in price, the sq. footage just keeps going up!
What part of town would you be working in? That can make all the difference in the world. If you are in Central Dallas, I would suggest Carrollton, Plano, Grapevine, or far North Dallas.

Old 09-25-2009, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnative10 View Post
What part of town would you be working in? That can make all the difference in the world. If you are in Central Dallas, I would suggest Carrollton, Plano, Grapevine, or far North Dallas.
Richardson, and will also be using the airport a lot.

Old 09-25-2009, 09:14 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,292,163 times
Default Not true!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grainraiser View Post
The way I see it HP made a concerted effort to keep out all minorities during the 60's and early 70's. Many of the residents were not even residents when this took place. Having said that there is no denying that they have made zero effort to attract minorities. There have only been 2 black students in the history of the school district. It would be unfair of me to say that most of the residents of HP are racist. I don't think it would be unfair to say that most of the residents would prefer to keep HP the exact way it has always been. The history of HP speaks for itself IMHO.
Not true! There have been way more than 2 black students in HPISD. There were at least 3 in the classes surrounding mine in the late 90s and at least a few more when my younger sibling was there in the early 2000s.

I know you have a major beef with HP as this is not the first city-data thread I've seen you quote completely incorrect facts regarding HP's history with minorities. You're welcome to have an opinion, but please use correct facts! (I would say the same whether we were discussig sports, politics, religion, pop culture, etc).

Old 09-25-2009, 09:19 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,351,440 times
It definitely was in the late 80s...dunno now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas